Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 06:33 AM

588 posts, read 1,438,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlady09 View Post
We are finally moving to our new home in Wilmington/Myrtle Grove.
Monkey Junction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 06:44 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Durham's not worse though - I compare them all the time having lived in both. Durham's crime is generally limited to a few areas and criminals going after each other; it's not something I ever worry about in day to day life. Wilmington has more of a gang problem, apparently, and non-criminal residents can be more affected (example, the car jacking at the mall that I learned of my first week week there; the shooting in Forest Hills). I don't know that I'd say Wilmington is unsafe in general, but the crime rate is high. Those aren't mutually exclusive. I did not say Wilm has higher crime than other sizable cities, I said it has high crime. They've called in task forces to help deal with it. But would I still live there if I wanted to? Sure - I didn't move away because of crime. It's not something to discount, though.
No offense, NM, but this post is similar to the dribble coming out of Moscow on the airliner shootdown.

NC Dept of Justice maintains statistics (fact) here are several 2012 (most recent year available):

Violent Crimes: Durham: 11,992 Wilmington: 6526
Murders: Durham: 27 Wilmington: 10
Rapes: Durham: 63 Wilmington: 32

It would appear Durham is twice as violent as Wilmington.

But appearances would be incorrect

Violent Crime Rate per 100,000
Durham County: 5093
New Hanover County: 408

How about 12 times as violent.

I don't get all the Durham apologists. I think I know, but I will keep that speculation to myself. What I do know is to use Durham, Wilmington, and crime in the same sentence, is absurd.

And I am no fan of Wilmington, either.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:46 AM

42 posts, read 80,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
Monkey Junction!
why is it called Monkey Junction

Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 AM

288 posts, read 413,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
No offense, NM, but this post is similar to the dribble coming out of Moscow on the airliner shootdown.

NC Dept of Justice maintains statistics (fact) here are several 2012 (most recent year available):

I don't get all the Durham apologists. I think I know, but I will keep that speculation to myself. What I do know is to use Durham, Wilmington, and crime in the same sentence, is absurd.

Thank you! This is what I was trying to say earlier to this poster without being rude, but it wasn't getting through.

Sure there are bad parts of any town, but Durham in my experience is kind of a scary place. I have friends who live in "good" parts of town who have experienced some pretty horrible things in their neighborhoods/buildings.

I've never once felt unsafe living in Wilmington.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 AM

588 posts, read 1,438,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlady09 View Post
why is it called Monkey Junction
Monkey Junction, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The locals call it Monkey Junction.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

This is the reality...and its accurate because it used COUNTY population...folks that love to criticize Wilmington's crime only use CITY population to do it...they conveniently leave out the 100,000 people that live, work and drive in New Hanover County that live minutes from the City Limits.

Durham County has about 288K folks...New Hanover County has about 213k...and that's just full time, NHC has much more in the summer time.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:58 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnb View Post
Thank you! This is what I was trying to say earlier to this poster without being rude, but it wasn't getting through.

Sure there are bad parts of any town, but Durham in my experience is kind of a scary place. I have friends who live in "good" parts of town who have experienced some pretty horrible things in their neighborhoods/buildings.

I've never once felt unsafe living in Wilmington.
OK the Durham bashing isn't appropriate in the coastal forum (or anywhere) but I'll just note to the naysayers that I ACTUALLY LIVE THERE, unlike you, so I probably know it better than you.

With that,

Old 07-23-2014, 02:35 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
Come on folks, fighting over crime statistics? Last I checked, it was far more violent around the birthplace of Jesus Christ than it is anywhere in North Carolina! I'm sure any of us could get mugged at knife point in Beverly Hills if we ventured off the beaten path.

Wilm's development over the past 10 years has gone south towards Carolina Beach, in particular around Monkey Junction. Some development has crossed over the Cape Fear to Leeland and south towards Southport. And less has gone north towards Ogden. In the 90's, Monkey Junction was first to show signs of new residential development. As the boom hit, Leeland started to take off. A few larger tracts of homes went up around Ogden, but that spot was mostly smaller neighborhoods being fit into pockets around Middle Sound Loop Rd. Personally, I like the Ogden spot the best, but Myrtle Grove is nice too!

When I'm done and ready to retire, our dream (my wife was born in Wilmington) is to return to the 28401, settle down along the banks of the ICW, and become a visiting professor of real estate finance at the business school of UNCW, where I graduated from myself.

Wilm can be the most beautiful and relaxing experience that you could ever want in a life style. Or, it couldn't be. It's all up to you. But, what Wilm has that very few places in county can compete with, is the perfect coastal life style that enjoys the perfect amount of all 4 seasons. I have pictures of building a few snowmen on Wrightsville Beach!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:39 AM

353 posts, read 604,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
When I'm done and ready to retire, our dream (my wife was born in Wilmington) is to return to the 28401, settle down along the banks of the ICW, and become a visiting professor of real estate finance at the business school of UNCW, where I graduated from myself.
I think you mean the 28409

Old 07-28-2014, 09:20 PM

7 posts, read 20,676 times
Thank you Patriot201 and snowlady09! Snowlady09 how wonderful that you have found a great place to live in the Wilmington area. Please be sure to post your experiences while you are renting - I'm really interested to see what you think of the area and what things you like to do! I imagine it is quite different than the PA mountains (my mom grew up in the Scranton area and my grandfather was a coal miner there). I hope your experience is a good one!

To Patriot201 - I had to laugh when I read your post - I know exactly what you mean about the stores and everything around here. I know I have gotten used to having just about anything available within a very short distance. Since retiring last year, it is so much easier to get to the stores without them being so crowded that you can't move! I hated having to go after work or heaven forbid, on weekends, but now it's better. Like you said, Wilmington has enough places that you're not going to be wanting for places to shop. I sure will miss Wegman's though - I keep hoping they will expand further south into NC - LOL! It's nice to hear that your parents enjoy being in Wilmington - the area seems to have what we are looking for and we are anxious to explore and spend some time there. We have a friend from Fairfax who will soon be moving to a new development in Ocean Isle Beach a bit further down from Wilmington and it will be interesting to hear his experiences. He spent several years scoping out the area for a place to live and settled on Ocean Isle Beach. Thanks so much for your comments! PS - Do you have any plans to go to Wilmington eventually or maybe stay in the Fairfax/NOVA area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina