Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 07:18 AM

42 posts, read 80,376 times

Advertisements

We went to a mall,and stopped at grocery store,then went to a pizza place. Total miles was 125. I am so done with taking over 45 minutes just to get to a store. We combine all of our trips so the rest of the time we hang out at home. GET me out of here. Can't wait to shop,and sight see,go to the beach, grab a bite all in under 10 miles. We sold our 4 wheel drive, bought new furniture for our new life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,078 times
You sound like me! It takes me 30 minutes to get to the mall. We are moving to Wilmington in 3 weeks and I am so excited with all the conveniences, the many restaurants and the many, many activities that can be done! Woohoo!!!

Old 08-02-2014, 11:46 PM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times
Well, me, my wife and our two little boys moved to Myrtle Grove exactly a month ago. We spent the previous 10 years in Raleigh, and prior to that, NJ. My wife had gotten a job transfer out here and I unfortunately had gotten laid off awhile back, so I didn't have much tying me to Raleigh anymore. So we made the move and we absolutely love it here. We were frequent visitors over the past few years and knew that Wilmington was where we wanted to end up.

Like others, we decided to rent a home and get a feel for the different areas. It has only been a month and is a bit premature to say, but we're both pretty comfortable staying in Myrtle Grove long-term. We're a mere stones throw from the Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, and other stores in Monkey Junction. Yet, being so close to those commercial spots, you'd expect there to be some spillover of congestion and even crime in the neighborhood. But that's really not the case, at least in my area. Once I turn off College and down the main street of my neighborhood, it's just peace and quiet. I love it. Also, SOOO many restaurants. I had a great sandwich from Chops Deli the other day, had a good experience at El Cerro Grande, and Halligans (off Masonboro Loop Rd) was pretty good. Also recommend Fish Bites...just south of Monkey Junction. Great seafood, just expect to wait a long time to get seated (which is why we instead, carry-out and eat at home!).

We've been to the beach about 5 times so far, once was just a nice walk on the beach after dinner, which we'll certainly be doing again. It takes me about 20 mins to our favorite spot on Kure Beach. I'm such a newb, I just discovered taking Dow Rd to bypass all of the congestion in Carolina Beach. Much faster.

Traffic isn't as bad as what I've experienced up north in NJ. Even Raleigh can be a headache at times. I like having the option of avoiding College and taking Masonboro Loop Rd instead. And I know the crime has been debated in this thread, but yeah, most cities have an area or pockets of chronic criminal activity and Wilmington is no different. I have a mental note of where the crime is typically bad in this city and I do my best to avoid that area. But it is my general understanding that for the most part, it is very safe anywhere east of College Rd and south of say, Hoggard High School. And the Riverwalk section is pretty safe. And I'd still be pretty comfortable navigating through some of those crummy areas. Crime is "nearly" nonexistent here in Myrtle Grove, and I hope it stays that way.

I would stress to those thinking about moving here, that the job prospects are hard to come by. I've been looking...hard for full-time employment. And it's difficult to even get a call back or interview. There always seems to be restaurants and stores hiring, which I may have to fall back on. But I'm still trying. So I cannot stress enough, the importance of having something already lined up for you and/or your family down here.

Overall though...we're very happy here and so far, we feel pretty confident that we'll call Myrtle Grove home for a very long time. Of course, that depends on my employment and eventually finding a home to purchase. But we're comfortable renting as we continue to get acclimated to our new surroundings!

Old 08-03-2014, 05:13 AM

42 posts, read 80,376 times
Thanks for the traffic tips. Up here in the Poconos I complain about 3 cars as "all this traffic". Like you we are originally form the Linden NJ area. When we go back to see our adult children down Rt 80 to the Parkway Now that my friend is TRAFFIC. I know about being so close to shopping in Myrtle Grove, we spent a week looking for a rental and decided Myrtle Grove Village was a perfect fit for us. When the economy is bad there is always more crime. You can be a victim of a crime sitting at your computer. My CC info was stolen at Christmas. We are chomping at the bit to start our new life. Have to wait for the settlement on our house at the end of the month. Fingers crossed this deal doesn't fall through as the first one did. We're moving no matter this time. Put the coffee on or open the bottle of wine,because HERE WE COME

Old 08-03-2014, 09:49 AM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlady09 View Post
Thanks for the traffic tips. Up here in the Poconos I complain about 3 cars as "all this traffic". Like you we are originally form the Linden NJ area. When we go back to see our adult children down Rt 80 to the Parkway Now that my friend is TRAFFIC. I know about being so close to shopping in Myrtle Grove, we spent a week looking for a rental and decided Myrtle Grove Village was a perfect fit for us. When the economy is bad there is always more crime. You can be a victim of a crime sitting at your computer. My CC info was stolen at Christmas. We are chomping at the bit to start our new life. Have to wait for the settlement on our house at the end of the month. Fingers crossed this deal doesn't fall through as the first one did. We're moving no matter this time. Put the coffee on or open the bottle of wine,because HERE WE COME
Best of luck to you!

I grew up down the shore in Toms River and I've sat in some pretty nasty traffic...especially on the Parkway on Friday afternoon in the summer. Oof. Long Island is even worse at just about anytime during the day. Wilmington does get congested, especially where it bottlenecks on College Rd between UNCW and Oleander. But, yeah, there are usually back roads that you can bypass some of it...it's just a matter of learning where they are, I guess.

Back in the day in Toms River, I lived in an area where my Dad had no concerns about leaving the front door to my house unlocked. Car unlocked with the windows down, etc. Sure there was the occasional drug bust or someone shoplifting, but nearly crime-less. Now, I would never intentionally leave anything unlocked in this day and age. But if I'm out and about in Wilmington and realize, "Ohmigod, I left the front door unlocked!"...I'm probably not going to be very concerned. Raleigh was a different story. I was in a generally safe area, but there were plenty of break-ins and property damage over the years in the neighborhood I lived in. And I'm sure it'll occasionally happen here also...no one really is immune to it anywhere.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,953 times
Default The opinion of a proud Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Wilmington has its ups and downs. For better and for worse, it's one of the weirdest places I've lived. It's a chaotic mixture of tourists, retirees, college students, surfers, fishermen, yuppies, yankees, hippies, river rats, u.s. marines, criminals, meth addicts, old money southerners, hispanics, bad drivers and homeless people. It is not a town that caters to the middle class. The downtown is cool, and the beaches are.. beaches. But if you're Joe Sixpack with a middle-class job, who sends his kids to public schools, then you must be willing to make sacrifices to live here.

As far as roads, politics, development, and general infrastructure go, the best way I've heard it described is that Wilmington is a place with small-town solutions to big-city problems. I would say that Charlotte and Wilmington share some of the same growth-related problems, but I think Wilmington is in much worse shape than Charlotte. I'm not trying to discourage you, but I feel strongly that Wilmington is not for everyone.

You hit it dead a-- on the nose. I couldn't agree with you more.

I've lived in the suburbs of Wilmington for 10 years and work downtown. They are two totally different places. The small town solutions are contributed to the old money southerners not wanting anyone else to move to "their" town! Let's be real, everywhere in the USA is invaded by outsiders. It's just that simple.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:44 PM

353 posts, read 604,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAtoILM View Post
You hit it dead a-- on the nose. I couldn't agree with you more.

I've lived in the suburbs of Wilmington for 10 years and work downtown. They are two totally different places. The small town solutions are contributed to the old money southerners not wanting anyone else to move to "their" town! Let's be real, everywhere in the USA is invaded by outsiders. It's just that simple.

Actually, you're quite wrong on the "old money southerners not wanting anyone else to move to their town". You see, it was (and is) the REAL old money southerners who own(ed) all the land around here, and it was/is the old money southerners who have spent the last forty years happily over-developing it as fast as they can, to sell off to all those outsiders you claim they don't want here.
The old money southerners have made sure they keep getting their friends, allies, and family members elected and re-elected to public office around here, to make sure they'll keep getting approval to develop whatever they want, whenever they want. That's how we wound up with way more houses, people, cars than we have infrastructure to support. Of course, if you say anything about having to raise taxes to pay for all the roads and sewers and schools and police and firemen that need to be paid for to service all these new people, the old money people will cry bloody murder and act as though they barely have a dime to their names.
Believe me, the true old money families of Wilmington are pleased as punch that so many people have moved here. It's like an endless stream of income for them. But they'll deny that til the bitter end.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:32 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
Actually, you're quite wrong on the "old money southerners not wanting anyone else to move to their town". You see, it was (and is) the REAL old money southerners who own(ed) all the land around here, and it was/is the old money southerners who have spent the last forty years happily over-developing it as fast as they can, to sell off to all those outsiders you claim they don't want here.
The old money southerners have made sure they keep getting their friends, allies, and family members elected and re-elected to public office around here, to make sure they'll keep getting approval to develop whatever they want, whenever they want. That's how we wound up with way more houses, people, cars than we have infrastructure to support. Of course, if you say anything about having to raise taxes to pay for all the roads and sewers and schools and police and firemen that need to be paid for to service all these new people, the old money people will cry bloody murder and act as though they barely have a dime to their names.
Believe me, the true old money families of Wilmington are pleased as punch that so many people have moved here. It's like an endless stream of income for them. But they'll deny that til the bitter end.
They want their money, not the people themselves.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:22 AM

353 posts, read 604,174 times
Nope, they don't mind. All those new people are just money on the hoof to them, each one a new opportunity to be exploited in some way. Trust me, I know them quite well, I know what they think and how they feel about all this. They won't share a penny with you, but once they get to know you, they're quite generous with their thoughts and opinions on EVERYTHING.
BUT if it really gets to be too much, they have their other homes in the mountains, in Montana, on Bald Head Island, in Florida they can go to to get away. Or they can just stay holed up in their private clubs. It's not as though they ever really have to get out and mingle with all that riffraff.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:37 PM

5 posts, read 16,668 times
Actually Asheville is the most expensive city/town in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina