Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:10 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,061 times

Advertisements

B's, PERIOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 03:40 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Down the road in Ayden, the Skylight Inn is the best in the state.
Have you ever actually tried Pete's (Skylight Inn)? It's pretty nasty unless you like fat and gristle. Pete is long gone and so is his award winning BBQ.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:02 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,957,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Have you ever actually tried Pete's (Skylight Inn)? It's pretty nasty unless you like fat and gristle. Pete is long gone and so is his award winning BBQ.
Dick, I'm no stranger. Pete Jones' bbq was/is the best in the state "in my opinion". Now I'll never say we must have the same opinion so you are free to have yours.

I've never once felt that the bbq at Skylight Inn is full of fat OR gristle. They do, however, chop up some of the skin and mix it in with the meat. That is one thing that makes this bbq so much better to me than many other places. When the bbq is fresh the skin is crispy and lends an absolutely wonderful flavor. It does not take long for that crispy skin to rehydrate in the moist pork and turn into something that isn't as appealing as the fresh, crisp product. These bits of softer skin can indeed be interpreted as "fat" or "gristle" to the less informed. I also don't doubt that bits of fat and/or gristle gets chopped up with the meat...but that's typically part of whole hog bbq my man. If I had ever experienced an overabundance of either, I might have a different opinion...but I have never had much fat or gristle in my bbq from Pete Jones'.

Yes, I know Mr. Pete passed a few years ago. You also have to understand that his family ran the place for years before his passing.

I'm glad you don't like the Skylight...the line out the front door is too long as it is. You just make it one person shorter and a tad quicker getting up to the counter. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2011, 11:20 AM

327 posts, read 602,970 times
Quote:
Have you ever actually tried Pete's (Skylight Inn)? It's pretty nasty unless you like fat and gristle.
Hell, that's what makes it good...along with the skin.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:00 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,914,785 times
Quote:
Thats what gives it flavor! I love how they chop up the small bits of crispy skin in the BBQ.

I also like how Ken's Grill does it La Grange as well. He usually puts a couple nice size pieces of skin right on top of the BBQ.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:02 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,914,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Dick, I'm no stranger. Pete Jones' bbq was/is the best in the state "in my opinion". Now I'll never say we must have the same opinion so you are free to have yours.

I've never once felt that the bbq at Skylight Inn is full of fat OR gristle. They do, however, chop up some of the skin and mix it in with the meat. That is one thing that makes this bbq so much better to me than many other places. When the bbq is fresh the skin is crispy and lends an absolutely wonderful flavor. It does not take long for that crispy skin to rehydrate in the moist pork and turn into something that isn't as appealing as the fresh, crisp product. These bits of softer skin can indeed be interpreted as "fat" or "gristle" to the less informed. I also don't doubt that bits of fat and/or gristle gets chopped up with the meat...but that's typically part of whole hog bbq my man. If I had ever experienced an overabundance of either, I might have a different opinion...but I have never had much fat or gristle in my bbq from Pete Jones'.

Yes, I know Mr. Pete passed a few years ago. You also have to understand that his family ran the place for years before his passing.

I'm glad you don't like the Skylight...the line out the front door is too long as it is. You just make it one person shorter and a tad quicker getting up to the counter. Thanks!

Thats the only thing I hate about the place. You go anywhere around 11:30am-1pm and there isn't a damn place to park.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Thats what gives it flavor! I love how they chop up the small bits of crispy skin in the BBQ..
haha, no kidding, that is the best part.

mixing a whole hog together correctly is what seperates BBQ from regular old smoked boston butt.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:50 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,979 times
Nah, there's skin and whatnot that's a normal part of the chopping process, then there's the weird chewy orange globs you find in Skylight's meat. I've never seen that in any other bbq, restaurant or homemade. It's like cartilage or something.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:52 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
must be his gizzard.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:57 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Nah, there's skin and whatnot that's a normal part of the chopping process, then there's the weird chewy orange globs you find in Skylight's meat. I've never seen that in any other bbq, restaurant or homemade. It's like cartilage or something.
My point exactly. Pork isn't exactly good for you to begin with and when they start mixing in mystery meat it just gets nasty. I'm guessing all of these Skylight lovers like their flattened out tasteless cornbread too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina