Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:46 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,348 times

Advertisements

I always hear this dichotomy between the two sides of the Cuyahoga. Is one more well off than the other? Is it demographic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 09:14 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
It depends who you ask. Looking at it objectively, I'd say they both have certain claims they could make. The East Side has a lot of "old money" and is much more populous and diverse. It is also more economically prolific as it houses the majority of the Fortune 500 companies that reside in the area. It also contains the majority of the higher level educational institutions in the area along with both main campuses of two, world-class hospitals. Also, 90% of the best restaurants in the area are either downtown or on the East Side along with 95% of the museums and performing arts facilities.

The West Side is definitely more "new money" and transformative. Dollar for dollar, you'll get a better bang for your buck in the western suburbs as well. However, once you're out of Rocky River, it's pretty cookie-cutter and strip-mall-ish. Anything past N. Olmsted is still semi-rural even though that is changing. There are other, larger businesses like Manco and Poly-One, but I'd say that the East side outnumbers them by 5-1 easily. There is also not a major university to be found in the area lying west of the Cuyahoga until you get to Bowling Green. There is no major college other than BW and Tri-C west (if you're counting community colleges). The small colleges on the East side outnumber the West side by 3-1 or maybe more.

That's essentially the difference. The good thing is that someone from Avon can make it to University Circle in about 30-40 minutes. So, even though the dichotomy exisits, it isn't prohibitive to either side. I actually view it as a good thing as not everyone wants the same type of living experience. Those who want "busy" head east, those who want "laid back" head west. Demographics are a factor, but not nearly the factor that it used to be. I'd say that it's more lifestyle needs these days. In the poorer areas, demographics obviously play a larger part.

Last edited by Cleveland_Collector; 10-01-2009 at 09:23 AM..

Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
That's essentially the difference. The good thing is that someone from Avon can make it to University Circle in about 30-40 minutes. So, even though the dichotomy exisits, it isn't prohibitive to either side. I actually view it as a good thing as not everyone wants the same type of living experience. Those who want "busy" head east, those who want "laid back" head west. Demographics are a factor, but not nearly the factor that it used to be. I'd say that it's more lifestyle needs these days. In the poorer areas, demographics obviously play a larger part.
Good observations in your posting. One of the things I always enjoyed about metro Cleveland was the signficant variety between the areas, how you can get such a varied experience in environment within such a small area. I am familiar with quite a few cities in the Cleveland metro size range, and frankly can't think of another with the variety of experiences you can have in metro Cleveland.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:07 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,284,985 times
To go along with the "old money" gotta remember that Cleveland was founded from the Cuyahoga River Eastward. The original "Connecticut Western Reserve" ended at the Cuyahoga River. At one point, that was the border of the indian lands to the USA!

Ohio City was its own city at one point as well. On top of it all, probably didn't hurt any that a overwhelmingly majority of the country lived east of the city.

Euclid Ave was Millionaires' Row, etc.

Lastly, different ethnic groups settled on each side. To the best of my knowledge:

East: Italian, Black, Polish, Jewish, Hungarian, Slovienian, Asian, Czech, (many Irish in Collinwood too)
West: Irish, German, Ukrainian, Slovak, Russian, Romanian

Last edited by costello_musicman; 10-01-2009 at 12:16 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 12:26 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,221 times
I agree with Cleveland_Collector's comments. Although, I'm not so sure about the restaurant claim. The west side has some gentrifying neighborhoods and that is where most of the trendy new restaurants are opening up.

In my view here are some things associated with each side:

East Side:
inner city neighborhoods are mostly ghetto
has Cleveland's poorest and most upscale suburbs
more Northeast feeling
large black population in many areas
more old money
more culture (is where Cleveland's cultural institutions and universities are located)
private school kids
more shopping in terms of quantity and quality
more Jewish and Italian.

West Side:
Inner city neighborhoods range from run-down to middle class
more urban areas that are gentrifying and becoming trendy
mostly white (more so in the suburbs)
West Side Market
More bars/nightlife
more blue collar
neighborhood taverns
suburbs are more cookie cutter (Lakewood and Rocky River are notable exceptions)
better lake access

Old 10-01-2009, 12:53 PM

More bars and nightlife on the West Side? I think you're mistaken there unless you directly state that you're referring to Lakewood and that your criterion is that it all be clustered in one area. Also, including the WSM and Ohio City in this discussion should also carry the footnote that both are within a stone's throw of Downtown. Essentially anything from E. 30th to W. 30th north of Metro is technically Downtown and directly influenced by it. The lake access is good on either side of town.

The restaurants in Downtown, Tremont, Ohio City, University Circle, Beachwood, Woodmere, Shaker, Lyndhurst, etc. are where it's at. These are all in downtown, directly adjacent to downtown, or east.

Costello: Yes, I agree. The East Side definitely carries the double-edged sword of being settled first. Also, I think it should be mentioned that these differences are, for the most part, relatively small. Both sides have plenty to offer.

Last edited by Cleveland_Collector; 10-01-2009 at 01:02 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 02:47 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
More bars and nightlife on the West Side? I think you're mistaken there unless you directly state that you're referring to Lakewood and that your criterion is that it all be clustered in one area. Also, including the WSM and Ohio City in this discussion should also carry the footnote that both are within a stone's throw of Downtown. Essentially anything from E. 30th to W. 30th north of Metro is technically Downtown and directly influenced by it. The lake access is good on either side of town.

The restaurants in Downtown, Tremont, Ohio City, University Circle, Beachwood, Woodmere, Shaker, Lyndhurst, etc. are where it's at. These are all in downtown, directly adjacent to downtown, or east.
I count Ohio City as a west side neighborhood. Downtown ends at the Cuyahoga in my book, and the City of Cleveland tends to agree with me:

http://urban.csuohio.edu/nodis/maps/SPAs/Downtown_Streets.pdf

The west side obviously has more bars. Tremont, Ohio City, Detroit-Shoreway, West Park, and Lakewood are all on the west side and are hot spots for nightlife. Coventry is the only area on the east side that I would consider a nightlife destination (for bars anyway). So yeah, I guess part of my criteria is they be cluttered together for access, but regardless of that I see far more bars on the west side as a whole. With Restaurants this is not the case.

Also, I would actually say that the Lake access is poor on either side of town if you really want to get down to it. The west seems to be better though. Edgewater Park, Lakewood Park, and Huntington Beach trump the east side (unless you go all the way out to Mentor Headlands). Most of the east side is privately owned, except for a few small parks here and there.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:35 PM

436 posts, read 874,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I agree with Cleveland_Collector's comments. Although, I'm not so sure about the restaurant claim. The west side has some gentrifying neighborhoods and that is where most of the trendy new restaurants are opening up.

In my view here are some things associated with each side:

East Side:
inner city neighborhoods are mostly ghetto
has Cleveland's poorest and most upscale suburbs
more Northeast feeling
large black population in many areas
more old money
more culture (is where Cleveland's cultural institutions and universities are located)
private school kids
more shopping in terms of quantity and quality
more Jewish and Italian.

West Side:
Inner city neighborhoods range from run-down to middle class
more urban areas that are gentrifying and becoming trendy
mostly white (more so in the suburbs)
West Side Market
More bars/nightlife
more blue collar
neighborhood taverns
suburbs are more cookie cutter (Lakewood and Rocky River are notable exceptions)
better lake access
East Side of the county (not city):
More Jewish and Asian immigrants
More Mid/old age people

Weat Side of the county (not city):
More European immigrants
More younger American
More gay friendly

Old 10-02-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I count Ohio City as a west side neighborhood. Downtown ends at the Cuyahoga in my book, and the City of Cleveland tends to agree with me:

http://urban.csuohio.edu/nodis/maps/SPAs/Downtown_Streets.pdf

The west side obviously has more bars. Tremont, Ohio City, Detroit-Shoreway, West Park, and Lakewood are all on the west side and are hot spots for nightlife. Coventry is the only area on the east side that I would consider a nightlife destination (for bars anyway). So yeah, I guess part of my criteria is they be cluttered together for access, but regardless of that I see far more bars on the west side as a whole. With Restaurants this is not the case.

Also, I would actually say that the Lake access is poor on either side of town if you really want to get down to it. The west seems to be better though. Edgewater Park, Lakewood Park, and Huntington Beach trump the east side (unless you go all the way out to Mentor Headlands). Most of the east side is privately owned, except for a few small parks here and there.
While downtown may technically end at the river, it doesn't mean that its influence does or that Ohio City and Tremont are any less central. Stand in Lincoln Park, look directly north, and what do you see?

Our lake access is fine on both sides. It's the development of the lakefront that is sub-par.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:34 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
I also agree that Tremont is not considered downtown by most.
Drive across the Valley View bridge and look North. What do you see?
The view means nothing.
W14th is over there so we westsiders get to clam Tremont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland