Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:40 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times

Advertisements

I consider it to be on the eastern fringe of downtown. Like I said before, anything between the East and West 30's is definitely in the downtown area. The Asiatown proximity is where downtown ends and the "East Side" begins. Most people will still consider that area to be in downtown. My friends at Meier Transmission on E.40th call that their downtown location. Why wouldn't I? The downtown influence is definitely there and I don't see a need in being a technical purist on these matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 02:11 PM

420 posts, read 1,041,628 times
Default Well , I don't believe it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
I consider it to be on the eastern fringe of downtown. Like I said before, anything between the East and West 30's is definitely in the downtown area. The Asiatown proximity is where downtown ends and the "East Side" begins. Most people will still consider that area to be in downtown. My friends at Meier Transmission on E.40th call that their downtown location. Why wouldn't I? The downtown influence is definitely there and I don't see a need in being a technical purist on these matters.
Tremont was once know as the south side ,Why ? It got that for being
south of Public Square , Why because true North is not what most
people here think , Yes Numbered streets Run Northerly and Southerly
But not true North , If one were to stand on East 9th St. and see the
Lake , and take your arms , and hands ,clasp them together at eye level and look at your thumbs , then
take your arms 45 degrees to your right of your body , thats True North ,
and you would see that Tremont then is South of Public Square ,
Bottom line , Tremont is Westside , It is , by the people living there,
belonging to a neighborhood that they had to cross westerly of the Cuyahoga River
to get to , MOST PEOPLE THAT think EAST 40th Street is downtown are just wrong, Look at the old Maps , As some one pointed out earlier in a post , The City of Cleveland agrees , That trumps all ,
But , How do I get to Tremont ? head southerly and westerly , from Public Square

Last edited by citydudeallover; 10-11-2009 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: A little more addition of true North

Old 10-11-2009, 09:10 PM

420 posts, read 1,041,628 times
Default How much does it take to be diverse , and what does that mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Must be the same Fantasy Cleveland you live in.
Lakewood? Diverse?
Yea...ok

Berea? yea...ok

[LEFT]Races in Berea:

• White Non-Hispanic (90.5%)
  • Black (5.1%)
  • Two or more races (1.6%)
  • Hispanic (1.6%)
  • American Indian (0.7%)
  • Other race (0.6%)
[/LEFT]

Let's not get carried away that the western suburbs are some kind of racial melting pot. Sadly most of them are not.
it is what it is ,in the fact that the most people happened to
be " White " while this Metro Cleveland was on the move
Berea had and does have a Black population that for years since the early 19th century , call it home . And credit to Berea It Was always a town unto it self , Untill big Bad Cuyahoga began to grow and it became
known as a suburb , IT STILL HAS IT'S own water supply , Not piped in from City of Cleveland ( Not A bad Thing ) but proves my point
That Berea was it's own Town

Old 10-26-2009, 11:46 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Well just about everything that needs to be said about the differences has been said already.

I will add that to most Tremont is considered the near westside and not downtown. That's if you divide the Cleveland area up between East and West and don't include south (I would still consider it west though).

I consider everything between the innerbelt and the cuyahoga river downtown, but I've heard many people refer to areas as far east as 55th downtown mainly to include asiatown/goodrich-kirtland park area not really going south of carnegie. It's understandable since that area has a much more intact and urban feel to it as opposed to the areas east of 55th which is a different story.

Also about Lakewood and diversity, it can be misleading. For example I've heard that people from the middle east are considered white in the census. So 90% white in Lakewood can be a lot different than 90% white in some non-diverse town in iowa or the south someplace where it is overwhelmingly white.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:14 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
C'mon, dude....the view we're talking about is physically 1000 ft. directly north of Tremont. It's 5+ miles NW of the VV bridge. In my context, it means everything. The neighborhoods of Ohio City and Tremont that West Siders want to consider as being uniquely "West Side" are simply not. They have way too much Downtown influence to be of their own making. From the perspective of a person who lives on the south side, it's all one general area.
Myself an others living in OC consider it the west side. Get over yourself.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:08 PM

217 posts, read 692,622 times
ohio city and tremont, are the "WESTSIDE"....once you cross that bridge, your on the westside period, its not downtown..its near downtown, but its not downtown....and the westside is very diverse if you ask me...

Old 11-23-2009, 06:47 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
I'd call it the "near westside." Doesn't matter, eastside, westside, both have their strong points, both bring different things to the table, it's what makes this city great. I'm a born and raised eastsider, but I wouldn't mind living on the westside if my place of employment was over there. As for visiting, I think Lakewood is awesome, one of my favorite places to hang out with friends who live over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland