Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 53,496 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Cleveland in the near future... I am a single male, middle age, middle class apartment dweller, not looking to live IN the city, but rather somewhere on the outskirts.
I'm just wondering---what is a better place for me to settle--- just EAST of Cleveland or WEST (or south??) Is one side a lot nicer? Are there advantages/disadvantages to each?
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 05:52 PM

28 posts, read 190,431 times
Smile Depends

The east side is older & tends to be more expensive. But very nice. I love the Conventry area! The westside is more suburban. Lakewood has some nice places & is close enough to the city & nightlife. It really depends on what area of the city you are going to be working in. I grew up on the west side & never ran out of things to do. As an adult I prefer to be closer to downtown.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:06 PM

62 posts, read 326,255 times
Default Wind Effect

I suppose its more windy in neighborhood along the Lake Erie shore in Cuyahoga County. How far inside the lake boundary does one feel the effect of the lake winds in Cuyahoga County?

There have been reports of foreclosures recently. Which Cuyahoga county communities are having more foreclousures than others?

Which Cuyahoga communities provide the best access via car to BOTH east and west sides?

Old 01-04-2007, 06:29 PM

146 posts, read 789,184 times
Default My vote: west side

Less traffic, less snow, more laid back. I've personally always viewed Cleveland as where the Midwest meets the Northeast - the west side is more Midwestern and the east side is more Northeastern. IMHO, the best part of the area in which to live is the Rocky River-Westlake-Bay Village-Avon Lake area.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:59 PM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
The east side if very Northeastern. Westlake, Avon Lake, Bay Village, North Olmsted, Olmsted Falls, and Brook Park are all worth checking out on the west side. The east side check out Solon, Mentor, Mayfield Heights, Brecksville, Independence, Sagamore Hills, and Shaker Heights.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:16 PM

332 posts, read 2,251,688 times
What type of suburb are you looking for? A more rural one, or one thats semi urban? The west side gets less Lake Weather like subway said, but the East side is closer to the cultural scene.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:22 AM

62 posts, read 326,255 times
Exclamation Brook Park!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
The east side if very Northeastern. Westlake, Avon Lake, Bay Village, North Olmsted, Olmsted Falls, and Brook Park are all worth checking out on the west side. The east side check out Solon, Mentor, Mayfield Heights, Brecksville, Independence, Sagamore Hills, and Shaker Heights.
Isn't Brook Park the mecca of strip clubs and adult stores? Dood, I have to your suggestion regarding Brook Park with a grain, no, strike that, bag of salt. So should other folks

Old 01-06-2007, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 53,496 times
Default Weather and People

Wow, I hadn't really thought about the snow/wind/lake-effect issue, but that actually IS a big factor. From the sounds of these posts, the communities on the west side of Cleveland don't get hit as hard with the harsh winter weather and wind, as the east side. That, to me, would be a big advantage.
I was born and raised in Erie, a very friendly place. I am currently living in Pittsburgh because there are no job opportunities in Erie. Pittsburgh is a very old, traditional, sort of "clicky" community that thinks about nothing other than sports. I never really fit in here. I guess I'm just looking for something a little different...maybe a slightly different "culture." I'm hoping that maybe Cleveland people will be a little more like Erie people. ---Any views on this?---

Old 01-06-2007, 01:55 PM

332 posts, read 2,251,688 times
From my experience and based on what others have said the people here are pretty friendly. Clevelander's love their sports, but there is also a good cultural scene here as well as a large arts scene and other "scenes" other than just sports. The city is more diverse than Pittsburgh and that is also an advantage. Either side of town you choose the weather will probably not be as bad as Erie in terms of Lake Effect snow/rain.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:03 AM

146 posts, read 789,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MABCle View Post
Either side of town you choose the weather will probably not be as bad as Erie in terms of Lake Effect snow/rain.
Believe it or not, the average snowfall in Erie proper is actually pretty similar to what it is in much the eastern suburban area of Cleveland. The average at the Erie airport is 89", and the average in the eastern suburban areas of Cleveland ranges from 70-110" (Chardon and Burton in Geauga County are the "Ohio snow capitals" that average 110" according to Fox 8's Dick Goddard). Of course, the higher elevations just south of Erie average significantly more: 120-160".

As for Cuyahoga County itself, the average annual snowfall ranges from 50" in the far western part of the county to 80+" in the far eastern part of the county. The average is below 50" in much of Lorain County as well as southwestern Medina county. Here is a link with a map that depicts Ohio's average annual snowfall: http://www.birminghamproject.org/maps/map_14.htm (broken link). Also, here is a map with the county names filled in for those who aren't familiar with them: http://county-map.digital-topo-maps.com/ohio.shtml
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland