Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2017, 11:55 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Are you riding during commuting hours, when RTA is most heavily used? Also, the percentage of whites using RTA goes up during events such as pro sporting games.

Heck, I don't even know what percentage of RTA ridership is accounted for by suburban bus lines.
What's funny is that October2007 has been in Cleveland less than a month and thinks RTA is about 85% African-American ridership. Again, you're the uninformed one on this topic and yet you are the one having a problem with these stats/observations. What is about a very high African-American ridership that bothers you?

Anyway, how's that discrimination case research going? Another clue: no one or group is actually suing Public Square. Think of possible plaintiffs and go forward from there. Keep digging and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
These articles all are from 5 or more years ago. There has been no evidence for years that I've seen that large numbers of persons ride the Healthline for free, yet a couple posters here posit as fact that a large percentage, even almost all, Healthline riders are freeloaders.

Interestingly, none of these posters have risked riding the Healthline for free.

I'll repeat a basic fact. The financially pressed RTA has a great economic incentive to crack down on fare violations. It would surprise me if the enforcement mechanism wasn't sufficient to minimize the problem.
You're right, there is an enforcement mechanism for riders trying to ''get over'' on the RTA for trying to or not paying a fare:

https://youtu.be/wut2cb2dGqA

Old 02-26-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
What is truly toxic is thinking that there are facts about an entire race. People are individuals, not a skin color, and race is nothing but a social construct made up by Europeans.
Who said anything about making facts about an entire race? Folks like you need to add this type of language and escalate the conversation; any point or observation equates to a blanket statement about an entire race.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:48 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
Apartments in Cleveland For Rent | The Edison at Gordon Square

Old 02-26-2017, 06:27 PM

538 posts, read 658,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Thank you for getting this thread back on track when it was derailed for no reason.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:08 AM

378 posts, read 341,454 times
Graham Veysey's newest project:

Ohio City apartment proposal would fill gap along Detroit Avenue (photos) | cleveland.com

Also just drove by the neighboring building at W29/Detroit yesterday and the progress on that thing is impressive. The windows are going in along W29th already.

Glad to see that this proposal retains the existing building at W28th and Detroit.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:19 PM

816 posts, read 1,395,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
Graham Veysey's newest project:

Ohio City apartment proposal would fill gap along Detroit Avenue (photos) | cleveland.com

Also just drove by the neighboring building at W29/Detroit yesterday and the progress on that thing is impressive. The windows are going in along W29th already.

Glad to see that this proposal retains the existing building at W28th and Detroit.
Great potential for that little area! Now they have to get cracking on the W65th and Lorain area. I wish I had the money to help out

If we can revitalize the 65th/Lorain area, it would complete the final corner of a huge rectangle of gentrifying, urban neighborhoods including Detroit Shoreway, Gordon Square, Hingetown, and Ohio City, then of course leading to the flats and downtown. Although it seems like 65th/Lorain is pretty far behind the other neighborhoods in terms of growth. Nice building stock though!

And in my dream scenario, the above coupled with the expansion of development and revitalization would spread south down W25th, especially near Clark and 25th. That corner has a very nice building stock and could use a little help.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Great potential for that little area! Now they have to get cracking on the W65th and Lorain area. I wish I had the money to help out

If we can revitalize the 65th/Lorain area, it would complete the final corner of a huge rectangle of gentrifying, urban neighborhoods including Detroit Shoreway, Gordon Square, Hingetown, and Ohio City. Although it seems like 65th/Lorain is pretty far away from the other neighborhoods. Nice building stock though!

And in my dream scenario, the above coupled with the expansion of development and revitalization would spread down W25th, especially near Clark and 25th. That corner has very nice building stock and could use a little help.
The Clark/25th intersection is likely going to start developing pretty quickly. The powers in Clark-Fulton are pushing to really develop that area into La Villa Hispana and they're having success. CiCLEvia has been a great event and will continue to grow into something much more known. (ciCLEvia).

I think the 65th/Lorain intersection will start to revitalize as investment pushes further west along Lorain. It's already creeping up past W45th with the renovation of the buildings at that intersection. All of the continued development around the Lorain/65th rapid station will also help. A new restaurant just opened in the antiques district which is a good sign of a comeback, too. (Now Open: Water Garden Cafe in Lorain Avenue Antiques District | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog)

One area I think also has a lot of potential is the Lorain Station district just east of West Boulevard. A TON of great commercial stock that's all in pretty good shape. Most of it is occupied, just nothing too thrilling currently. This section falls along the CDC boundaries of Westown and Cudell Improvement which I think is the reason nothing happens there. Hopefully we'll see some more happen when Detroit-Shoreway Development Corp annexes Cudell Improvement's service area.

Tons of potential, though: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4667...7i13312!8i6656

Old 02-27-2017, 01:34 PM

816 posts, read 1,395,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
The Clark/25th intersection is likely going to start developing pretty quickly. The powers in Clark-Fulton are pushing to really develop that area into La Villa Hispana and they're having success. CiCLEvia has been a great event and will continue to grow into something much more known. (ciCLEvia).

I think the 65th/Lorain intersection will start to revitalize as investment pushes further west along Lorain. It's already creeping up past W45th with the renovation of the buildings at that intersection. All of the continued development around the Lorain/65th rapid station will also help. A new restaurant just opened in the antiques district which is a good sign of a comeback, too. (Now Open: Water Garden Cafe in Lorain Avenue Antiques District | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog)

One area I think also has a lot of potential is the Lorain Station district just east of West Boulevard. A TON of great commercial stock that's all in pretty good shape. Most of it is occupied, just nothing too thrilling currently. This section falls along the CDC boundaries of Westown and Cudell Improvement which I think is the reason nothing happens there. Hopefully we'll see some more happen when Detroit-Shoreway Development Corp annexes Cudell Improvement's service area.

Tons of potential, though: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4667...7i13312!8i6656
All great points and I agree.

And YES Lorain Ave near West Blvd and Denison has great potential. That neighborhood is rather impoverished and has higher crime though. I bought a rental property a bit further down near 117th and that little pocket is starting to see some positive changes with the renovation of Variety Theater and a little local eatery (Stuff Yourself, which is also a food truck) opened up there too. Also can't forget about the city street improvements along Lorain as well.

Also, I think I agree about the whole Cudell/Westown CDC thing. Even just looking at their website, it looks dated and generic like nobody even maintains it anymore; makes you wonder how they actually operate their CDC if they can't even create a presentable website!

Old 02-27-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Also, I think I agree about the whole Cudell/Westown CDC thing. Even just looking at their website, it looks super dated and generic like nobody even maintains it anymore; makes you wonder how they actually operate their CDC if they can't even create a presentable website!
It's a contentious topic in the Cudell/Edgewater area, believe me.

I bought a vacant house on W100 closer to Madison. We've actually had, essentially, zero crime in the past year in my section. Like you said, the area is very much experiencing levels of crime in distinct pockets, so they've had a lot of issues on W89th near the West Tech Lofts. However, West Tech is now managed by some very good people and the manager is working aggressively to engage with the community and address issues in the neighborhood. With the Willard School expanding there's also more of a focus on that section, and DSCDO is working to renovate housing stock a few blocks over on Colgate, so there is some change happening.

I'm less aware of issues in the West Blvd section south of Lorain and the Jefferson area over around the Variety Theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland