Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 07:27 AM

63 posts, read 83,509 times

Advertisements

I also like to further add that CLE has been sitting on its laurels for at least 50 years but has come alive in recent years after being passed up by cities that weren't as relevant 50 years ago! Cleveland was a trail blazer in a couple of areas in the sixties but failed to really capitalize on them.Case in point: The first rapid transit to connect downtown to a major airport...then sit on its laurels! There's hardly been any expansion after that and that was in '68!There's been a myriad of cities that started from scratch with rail systems that have caught up and surpassed CLE by leaps and bounds in the last 40 years...I don't have to say who they are.Another case in point: The first black mayor of a major American city! How much have we built on that? Again,CLE sat on its laurels! Cleveland can be very progressive at times and very conservative and stagnant most of the time! If we keep sitting on our laurels after groundbreaking accomplishments we'll be the third city of Ohio before you know it!This city has great potential to become a great city if we would just exploit that potential to the max.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 07:31 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchie Boy View Post
OK Clevelanders;this is food for thought.I know CLE has lost relevance in the past 50 years,but can someone out there explain to me how Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones could skip CLE,the largest msa in the state and home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,on their current tour! How and why did that happen?
Really nothing to worry about. Just forgo all the hype and realize that the Stones are just another bunch of ancient rockers still bilking $$ out of a gullible public. My gawd, please allow Cbus the honor to be their host--after all, the Stones' hit "Satisfaction" was being played over Ohio Stadium loud-speakers over 50-years ago! (So, for right now just worry about the fact that Ohio's largest MSA is Cincy, and not Cleve.)

Old 06-01-2015, 07:49 AM

133 posts, read 176,031 times
^Sure, the MSA is larger, but the CSA (more commonly used) and media market is certainly not!

Old 06-01-2015, 08:45 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,148,078 times
Stones? In Aug. you have Social Distortion coming to House of Blues! I might fly out for that!!! Much better!

Old 06-01-2015, 05:49 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,108,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchie Boy View Post
I also like to further add that CLE has been sitting on its laurels for at least 50 years but has come alive in recent years after being passed up by cities that weren't as relevant 50 years ago! Cleveland was a trail blazer in a couple of areas in the sixties but failed to really capitalize on them.Case in point: The first rapid transit to connect downtown to a major airport...then sit on its laurels! There's hardly been any expansion after that and that was in '68!There's been a myriad of cities that started from scratch with rail systems that have caught up and surpassed CLE by leaps and bounds in the last 40 years...I don't have to say who they are.Another case in point: The first black mayor of a major American city! How much have we built on that? Again,CLE sat on its laurels! Cleveland can be very progressive at times and very conservative and stagnant most of the time! If we keep sitting on our laurels after groundbreaking accomplishments we'll be the third city of Ohio before you know it!This city has great potential to become a great city if we would just exploit that potential to the max.
Yeah, Cleveland's lack of growth on it's very good rapid transit system has been troubling. As a Rust Belt city losing population, I can understand some of it -- after all, until St. Louis and then Minneapolis, no other city even had rapid transit in the Midwest outside of Chicago. But I get the laurels resting mentality. I look at corporations too. We used to pump our chests about being one of the top corporate HQs in the country. Unfortunately, civic leaders did a lot to **** these corporations off and little to keep them, or attract more, and we lost tons of corporations (ie Sohio which was the flagship Standard Oil Co.) and jobs as a result. A lot of fist-pumping and laurel resting got us the middle of a doughnut. Now we've had to fight back... and have done pretty well, but there are still many issues.

The Browns is a sports metaphor to this, too. Look at the glory years of the 50s and 60s. Some old timers still stroll down memory lane while ignoring the fact that, not only did the team let golden opportunities to win (or even get to) the Super Bowl, we lost the team then, the so called "new" Browns, are the worst organization in the NFL; one of the worst in pro sports generally over the last 2 decades.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:05 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Two meetings Thursday will detail latest visions for uniting Cleveland and Lake Erie (photos) | cleveland.com

Update on the latest waterfront bike trail project... I like what I see!

Also FWIW, I'd rather have the NBA Finals and Republican National Convention and all the other events we've received recently than having the Rolling Stones... Just saying. I think the point about central location is well taken, since I think they're performing in Pittsburgh also.

No offense to Cincy and Columbus, as they both offer many great things and I wouldn't be upset living in them, but I have to say I think it's still pretty clear that Cleveland is the most important city in Ohio.

Edit: In fairness to Cincinnati, I tried adding Dayton into the population mix even though it is an hour from Cincy as opposed to Akron being about 30-35 minutes from Cleveland, and it still came up at only 3.1 as opposed to 3.5.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
I would say it helped as a whole because before that there was really no draw in Baltimore where people really went or a robust tourism economy. Plus along with the inner harbor it cleaned up some surrounding neighborhoods that are tourist draws today.
Ah good point. Well if Cleveland does follow a similar pattern and it is a draw then, it should mean that Ohio City and Tremont and Gordon Square should continue to gentrify significantly...

There's A LOT of money going into Little Italy/University Circle so I'd think that should be fine as well.
If there's a "Forgotten Man" somewhere in this, I'd have to think it'd be Shaker Square/Larchmere and especially Cleveland Heights, with the massive draws of the west side.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:29 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,944 times
First look: new downtown Hilton offers stunning views of downtown, Lake Erie (photos) | cleveland.com

Old 06-02-2015, 08:30 AM

133 posts, read 176,031 times
Its time to start talking about Scranton Peninsula. Cleveland's next big project:

Carter Riverfront

http://carter-riverfront.com/s/Carte...ment-FINAL.pdf

Old 06-02-2015, 11:49 AM

Interesting. I feel like an "Urban Campground" would have to be managed pretty well though.

Cleveland Metroparks to build new Edgewater Beach House with eatery, shop and elevated walkway | cleveland.com

Busy day of news in Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland