Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 10:02 AM

469 posts, read 434,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
How did the Snow Joe do in the most recent storm?

Although we had only four inches of snow at my Lake County location, I opted to shovel out of dread of putting gasoline in my snow blower late in the season. If I had an electric snow blower, I would have used it with no second thoughts. Depending upon your reviews in the coming season, I'm even considering buying a Snow Joe as a back-up snow blower for use in the more moderate snow storms that have become much more customary.

I hate leaving gas in my snow blower off-season out of fear of mucking up the carburetor and/or leaving stale gas in the machine. I've never used a stabilizer off-season, not certain it would protect the carburetor, so I always drain the tank of any excess gas. Perhaps I should just use a stabilizer, but if the snow blower won't start, the cost of pick-up, delivery and repair charges are prohibitive. I wish I knew of a repair shop that would work on a snow blower on-site.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...land-snow.html
The Snow Joe performed admirably. It is perfect for, say, 6” or less of fluffy snow. With this last batch, I could have easily just used my plow shovel, but honestly I find it fun to use. Plus, obviously, it throws the snow away from the path, so you don’t need to “plow then chuck” as you do with manual shovels.

I have yet to use it on anything deeper, or on the wet and heavy stuff, so I cannot give a comprehensive review yet.

I can tell you that it scores a perfect 10 on the convenience scale. Insert batteries, blow snow, brush off unit, place batteries in charger. Then enjoy hot beverage indoors.

It is not a Sherman tank like some of the gas powered units I see in the neighborhood. So you just need to accept it for what it is…a convenient, hassle free, inexpensive unit for moderate and lighter snowfalls. Supposed to be good for 12” but haven’t tested that yet. (Realistically, for a snowfall of that magnitude, I would probably do it in phases to keep it manageable…)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 01:01 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
I have the 24V-X2-SB22 version as seen here. Supposed to be good for anything up to 13”. Doubtful I’ll get to test that claim anytime soon.

https://youtu.be/95gRGbyijEs

You bought the 48-volt Snow Joe.

Just now I saw an ad for, as you described it, the "Sherman Tank" of Snow Joes, a 100-volt, 24-inch version retailing at $999. I'm guessing it would handle any storm we're likely to see in the future.

https://snowjoe.com/products/snow-jo...0SNOW%20JOE%20

I suspect this is a new product as it's the first time I've seen it. Have you seen it before? Actually, the ad for the 100-volt product says that your 48-volt Snow Joe is the newer product. Note that the 100-volt Snow Joe is dual stage.

Note that there is some message about saving 15 percent if you "subscribe." I wonder if in coming weeks there will be a clearance sale of the Snow Joes in inventory as winter ebbs.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
You bought the 48-volt Snow Joe.

Just now I saw an ad for, as you described it, the "Sherman Tank" of Snow Joes, a 100-volt, 24-inch version retailing at $999. I'm guessing it would handle any storm we're likely to see in the future.

https://snowjoe.com/products/snow-jo...0SNOW%20JOE%20

I suspect this is a new product as it's the first time I've seen it. Have you seen it before? Actually, the ad for the 100-volt product says that your 48-volt Snow Joe is the newer product. Note that the 100-volt Snow Joe is dual stage.

Note that there is some message about saving 15 percent if you "subscribe." I wonder if in coming weeks there will be a clearance sale of the Snow Joes in inventory as winter ebbs.
Yes, that looks like a formidable machine. I had not seen it previously. I’d point out that the $999 is for the tool only. The tool plus dual 5.0 aH batteries and charger bundle goes for $1499 and shows as “discontinued”. So if you’re eyeing the 100-volt machine, you’d want to make sure you can source the batteries and charger as well.

Are you considering the Snow Joe as a supplemental unit, or replacement for your gas-powered dual stage? That probably factors in as you decide on a model.

If you are accustomed to a self-propelled dual stage unit, the single-stage Snow Joe 48v (mine) might seem a bit flimsy to you. In addition to being a manual push unit, it has a plastic chute and direction adjustment rod that feels kinda’ cheap. But that said, it has cleared snow very well in my usage thus far. Plus it is significantly less expensive than the 100-v bundle. To me it is feeling like a good choice for light to moderate snow, with the jury still out on the heavy stuff.

FYI, I just checked out of curiosity and the 100-v machine only received 3 reviews on Amazon, with a 2.6 out of 5 rating. The 48v units are getting higher ratings with more reviews. Take that for what it’s worth. Not sure why there are only 3 reviews on the 100-v.

I don’t know about the discount…

Good luck, and holler or PM me if any specific questions.

Old 02-26-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Yes, that looks like a formidable machine. I had not seen it previously. I’d point out that the $999 is for the tool only. The tool plus dual 5.0 aH batteries and charger bundle goes for $1499 and shows as “discontinued”. So if you’re eyeing the 100-volt machine, you’d want to make sure you can source the batteries and charger as well.

Are you considering the Snow Joe as a supplemental unit, or replacement for your gas-powered dual stage? That probably factors in as you decide on a model.

If you are accustomed to a self-propelled dual stage unit, the single-stage Snow Joe 48v (mine) might seem a bit flimsy to you. In addition to being a manual push unit, it has a plastic chute and direction adjustment rod that feels kinda’ cheap. But that said, it has cleared snow very well in my usage thus far. Plus it is significantly less expensive than the 100-v bundle. To me it is feeling like a good choice for light to moderate snow, with the jury still out on the heavy stuff.

FYI, I just checked out of curiosity and the 100-v machine only received 3 reviews on Amazon, with a 2.6 out of 5 rating. The 48v units are getting higher ratings with more reviews. Take that for what it’s worth. Not sure why there are only 3 reviews on the 100-v.

I don’t know about the discount…

Good luck, and holler or PM me if any specific questions.

Thanks for the additional information about the 100-volt Snow Joe. I didn't read carefully, and definitely wouldn't consider any machine that had been discontinued and didn't receive excellent reviews. I also wouldn't pay $1,500 for any snow blower at this stage of my life, and given the declining winters in Greater Cleveland (personally, I wouldn't be very surprised if this winter won't be the snowiest and coldest of this decade, with much less severe winter conditions later in the decade).

I mentioned the 100-volt machine mostly because it was new to me. I definitely wouldn't replace my existing dual-stage machine while it still is working well.

While I think about buying a 48-volt Snow Joe, it seems like a waste of money and just something more to clutter up the garage for something likely to be used for at most 10 hours a year, given my existing, more powerful snow blower and the ease of shoveling light snowfalls. If I were to see one on sale for $300, I might consider purchasing one seriously as a back-up, but even then it's probably doubtful.

Did your 48-volt machine cost $499 with the battery and the charger, or was there an extra charge?

Snow blowers obviously interest me and hopefully your Snow Joe posts will benefit others in the future. The Snow Joe machines obviously are transformative products.

BTW, I might be more tempted at some point to buy one of the Snow Joe powered shovels. I would have to familiarize myself more with the products and check out reviews as I can't imagine how they are very easy to use given their likely additional weight/perhaps absence of wheels, etc. Again, likely just another toy to clutter the garage.

Thanks for all of the Snow Joe info and feedback!

Old 02-26-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the additional information about the 100-volt Snow Joe.

Did your 48-volt machine cost $499 with the battery and the charger, or was there an extra charge?

Snow blowers obviously interest me and hopefully your Snow Joe posts will benefit others in the future. The Snow Joe machines obviously are transformative products.

BTW, I might be more tempted at some point to buy one of the Snow Joe powered shovels. I would have to familiarize myself more with the products and check out reviews as I can't imagine how they are very easy to use given their likely additional weight/perhaps absence of wheels, etc. Again, likely just another toy to clutter the garage.

Thanks for all of the Snow Joe info and feedback!
Glad to help!

I paid $525 plus tax on Amazon Prime, which included the batteries and charger.

I’m not sold on the electric shovel idea at this point, as I envision it being a clumsy tool for working on porches and steps. I’ll keep an open mind though.

Sounds like you have a good solution for now with your dual stage gas powered unit.

BTW, I used the Snow Joe again on the 4” we just got Thurs/Fri. I’m becoming efficient with it. It probably wasn’t necessary to clear, but I actually kinda’ enjoyed the 20-minute session.

Old 03-14-2022, 02:55 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Dare I say it...did we get our last snowfall for the year this past weekend...I had about 3" Fri night into Saturday.

Old 03-14-2022, 03:14 PM

11,056 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Dare I say it...did we get our last snowfall for the year this past weekend...I had about 3" Fri night into Saturday.
we have had 4 days in April 2 years in a row when it's snowed. And it snowed once in May 2020. So no I highly doubt we are done with snow. But yes any snow we get from here on out will be gone very quickly.

Old 03-15-2022, 11:45 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
we have had 4 days in April 2 years in a row when it's snowed. And it snowed once in May 2020. So no I highly doubt we are done with snow. But yes any snow we get from here on out will be gone very quickly.
Actually, it also snowed once in May 2021 as well, although it didn't stick. I recall being outside waiting for a bus with snow showers coming down, snowflakes sticking to my jacket.

What was interesting is that, in both years, snowfall was on May 9.

Last year, we had measurable snowfall in April pretty late into the month -- about a week after a couple 80-degree days. So I wouldn't rule anything out based on current mild weather. It ain't over 'til it's over.

Old 03-15-2022, 12:01 PM

11,056 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Actually, it also snowed once in May 2021 as well, although it didn't stick. I recall being outside waiting for a bus with snow showers coming down, snowflakes sticking to my jacket.

What was interesting is that, in both years, snowfall was on May 9.

Last year, we had measurable snowfall in April pretty late into the month -- about a week after a couple 80-degree days. So I wouldn't rule anything out based on current mild weather. It ain't over 'til it's over.
I'm going by https://howmuchwillitsnow.com/in/cleveland/oh which has seemed pretty accurate to me.

Old 06-14-2022, 05:08 AM

Default On heat, humidity, heat index, wet bulb temperature

Persons who have read my posts over the years may have gleaned a few things about my weather concerns -- I don't like heat (above 80 degrees F.), and especially not excess heat, and certainly not in combination with high humidity. I'm also extremely conscious of the rapidity of climate change, and how it will impact our planet, mankind, our society, Ohio, northeast Ohio, and Greater Cleveland, in some degree of increasing specificity.

As wildfires and droughts consume the West; as more devastating hurricanes (rapid intensification over warmer oceans), tropical storms (recent Miami flooding), and tornadoes increasingly impact the Southeast; as coastal ghost forests, disappearing beaches, accelerating ice melt in the cryosphere, all provide evidence of accelerating sea level rise, in addition to actual empirical measurements, climate change denialism seems to be in retreat, and persons increasingly seem to appreciate how Greater Cleveland represents some degree of haven now and in the years ahead.

Now, over at least the next few days, we are going to have an opportunity to experience just a little what it must feel like to live in Texas. We're going to be subject to a heat advisory with a heat index of over 100 (up to 107) forecast for tomorrow. The forecast is for a high of 90 degrees F. with a humidity of 66 degrees, one of the warmest, most humid days in the past year.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cl...arnings/350127

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cl...t/350127?day=2

The forecast high temperature and humidity suggests a heat index of 103.

https://www.weather.gov/images/safet...xchart-650.jpg

Now look at Houston in recent days, where there has been a high temperature of 97 and likely a corresponding humidity apparently of 40 (the higher the temperature, the lower the relative humidity), resulting in a heat index similar to what we will experience on Wednesday, by my inexperienced calculation. Unfortunately, and ridiculously IMO, the National Weather Service, doesn't make it easy to find heat index histories for any city (if they even keep such histories).

https://www.wunderground.com/history...x/houston/KHOU

Unlike Greater Cleveland, Houston has days of such weather, and it likely will experience even higher heat index levels as summer progresses. In coming years, the days with heat alerts and extreme heat in Houston are expected to increase significantly.

A friend recently sent me an Economist article about how wet bulb temperatures in India were crossing over into levels in which humans can't survive and birds were dropping from the sky due to the extreme heat.

https://www.economist.com/the-econom...b-temperatures

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacifi...-india/2594986

https://bmcnoldy.rsmas.miami.edu/Humidity.html

https://www.weather.gov/ict/WBGT

Let's see how much we'll enjoy the weather Wednesday and contemplate how long we would put up with such weather if we lived somewhere else and could escape it. Also consider the future when you decide what political candidates to support; consider their respective levels of climate change denialism and inactivism, because I can't name a single one (there are a few, I just can't name them off the top of my head except perhaps Washington Gov. Jay Inslee), and none are Ohio politicians, who are warning the American people about the specific realities of climate change and promoting policies (such as a rebated carbon tax, such as exists in Canada) that would wean our nation efficiently, less painfully, and more rapidly away from fossil fuels.

https://www.canadadrives.ca/blog/new...nada-explained

See post 172.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...n-ohio-18.html

Stay safe the next few days!

Last edited by WRnative; 06-14-2022 at 05:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland