Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 12:32 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Not sure if it's proof of anything, but since moving here myself from far away, I've noticed an awful lot of out of state license plates.....the hip thing to do these days seems to be to move from the high-cost coastal cities, to the inland much-more-affordable cities. This really has nothing to do with a media story, exactly...although I have read a few noting this trend, just an observation. I predict great things for this area...time will tell!
Agreed.

There is a lot of talk about the coastal cities becoming less appealing and people, such as yourself, wisely opting for a move to an ''inland'' city with great amenities.

Inland for me though requires being a on a great lake (Cleveland), Chicago could work but it's sooo flat and the ''across the lake view'' can include power plants over in Indiana. A big river (Cincy, St. Louis) would be 2nd place but I could never do a truly land-locked place like Indy or Columbus.

Last edited by Kamms; 01-25-2019 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 12:34 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Hoping to join this ever expanding club sometime this year. The costs of the coasts just aren't worth it, especially as you get into your 30s and have different priorities.
Would also like to join this ever expanding club sometime this year (or in the near-ish future).

Last edited by Kamms; 01-25-2019 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-25-2019, 01:49 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,338 times
I recently made the jump in Mid-2018 to the Cleveland area. Had my Oregon plates driving around for a month, but now I am finally settled in for the next many, many years.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:57 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Not sure if it's proof of anything, but since moving here myself from far away, I've noticed an awful lot of out of state license plates.....the hip thing to do these days seems to be to move from the high-cost coastal cities, to the inland much-more-affordable cities. This really has nothing to do with a media story, exactly...although I have read a few noting this trend, just an observation. I predict great things for this area...time will tell!
Be careful what you wish for. Those "inland much-more-affordable cities" will become less affordable over time if this trend continues. (See Austin, Portland, etc.)

Old 01-25-2019, 02:27 PM

1,304 posts, read 854,626 times
Exactly! Seriously hoping for Cleveland to be successful and people to have better lives here, but NOT wanting it to become ANYTHING like Seattle, or any of the other overpriced, overcrowded cities that apparently quite a few of us have fled!

Old 01-25-2019, 02:59 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Would also like to join this ever expanding club sometime this year (or in the near-ish future).
Ideally I am trying to aim for summer or fall. Been difficult getting employers in Cleveland to look at an application though. Have some reason to believe I'll have some luck with one lead now, but we'll see. Reaching a point where I'm in decent enough position to consider just leaving without employment if need be and see what happens (though would feel much much better if I could sort that out beforehand).

Old 01-26-2019, 09:58 AM

1,304 posts, read 854,626 times
Not sure what line of work you are in, but Plain Dealer today says Progressive hiring 2,000 in Ohio and prison hiring 60 new security guards.....

Old 01-26-2019, 11:51 AM

869 posts, read 1,277,338 times
And I’ve always kept an eye out on these University Circle open jobs as well: https://www.universitycircle.org/work/job-listings

Edit: Also Parker Hannifin has dozens and dozens of job openings in CLE.

http://parkercareers.ttcportals.com/jobs/search

Last edited by usaf_1832; 01-26-2019 at 12:32 PM..

Old 01-26-2019, 08:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Exactly! Seriously hoping for Cleveland to be successful and people to have better lives here, but NOT wanting it to become ANYTHING like Seattle, or any of the other overpriced, overcrowded cities that apparently quite a few of us have fled!
Amen to that. It's not only that they become overpriced, their entire personalities change and they become unrecognizable. And to be selfish, I don't want to have to relocate again.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:13 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,463 times
Quote:
I think bjimmy24 is a good example....I, myself, am a retiree....didn't want to continue living in a crowded, massively expensive area....but I think more and more young people will see the advantages of moving to smaller, more affordable cities. Again, time will tell...
If you don't mind me asking, where did you move from? And, what was the average cost of living there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland