Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 07:35 AM

120 posts, read 107,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reioh View Post
What are some current trends that would support your case that the housing market in Cleveland will continue to rise?

Also, the housing prices have risen mostly in a few areas. I wouldn't expect major busts in areas where the prices have not risen recently.
Current and future migration patterns of people with money and higher education. Various infrastructure investments around the city and lakefront. Downtown Cleveland's growth in the job sector. Folks moving back to Cleveland from saltwater cities due to COL reasons.

FOllow the money:

• Those projects may be but a glimpse into Alto's big plans for Cleveland, as "Alto really likes the Cleveland area and is committed to acquiring and developing a few million square feet in that market," said Michael Sabracos, Alto's chief executive officer for U.S. operations;
  • Another out-of-town investor, Somera Road Inc. of New York City, bought the half-empty, 16-story, 45 Erieview office building at East 9th and Lakeside Avenue and will bring in back-office tenants from New York that are desperate to reduce their real estate and employment costs.
  • Somera founder and principal Ian Ross said "I think a lot of national companies in Los Angeles, New York, (Washington) D.C. (and) Chicago, are saying the cost of living in those cities has gotten astronomical. Attrition problems continue to be an issue. Companies are looking toward the Midwest. I do think there will be growth in the Greater Cleveland area in terms of new tenancy."
  • Ross added investing in downtown and other urban settings in Cleveland will retain and attract young people: "The millennial generation is what a lot of large American corporations are focused on, managing the attrition of that very fickle employment base. The suburban office concept, which you see a lot of in the Midwest and you see a lot of in Cleveland, specifically ... that's going by the wayside. That's not going to be the pull or the attraction for that highly sought-after employee."

NEOtrans: April 2017

Pete Snavely Jr. said his family-owned company settled on its site because of its location near the Lakefront West project, the $90 million remaking of the West Shoreway as a tree-lined boulevard with multiple access points to the lakefront. The operation of the Ohio City business improvement district was another plus, as were plans for the park on nearby Irishtown Bend.
"We've seen first-hand what this kind of investment can do in other cities," said Snavely, who also has built in Denver. He traces his interest in the Cleveland neighborhood to visiting a friend's home at Battery Park, the lakeview community at West 73rd Street, where he saw what the area offers.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/artic...velopment-boom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 08:20 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times
I found this article today in the LA Times travel section.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latim...story,amp.html

Old 07-16-2017, 09:52 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
I found this article today in the LA Times travel section.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latim...story,amp.html
Good catch!

The article was written by a Boston transplant now resident in Cleveland.

The lead paragraph, describing the Collision Bend Brewing Co.'s home as a once derelict building, was a little bothersome as the building formerly housed the memorable Watermark restaurant, one of the city's best restaurants at the time, and is prime real estate on the East Flats.

Calling Heinen's second floor balcony a "secret," hardly was accurate.

The article did have some very atypical and worthwhile paragraphs on Gordon Square and especially the 78th St. Studios and the Third Fridays there, a great Cleveland happening. There was no mention of the First Friday mixes at the Cleveland Museum of Art, nor of Lake View Cemetery.

A Cleveland travel article for southern CA residents also is amiss with no mention of the likes of Holden Arboretum, Ohio Amish Country, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Cedar Point and the Lake Erie islands also should be mentioned, even though those attractions might not seem so special to a Los Angeles area resident (think Catalina Island).

Cleveland's arcades, Tower City, and Terminal Tower observation deck also would be interesting for a LA native.

Last edited by WRnative; 07-16-2017 at 10:10 AM..

Old 07-21-2017, 11:04 AM

840 posts, read 759,647 times
Encouraging....

Ohio jumps 5 spots to rank 16th best business climate in CNBC study | cleveland.com

Old 08-10-2017, 05:31 AM

840 posts, read 759,647 times
After working at Yelp and Yahoo, Mike Marchetti looks to grow startup culture in Cleveland | cleveland.com

Old 11-17-2017, 05:32 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Forbes: Cleveland’s tourism comeback continues with more great rock n roll

Old 11-22-2017, 04:22 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Great article. Larry Olmsted, the article's author, is the restaurant columnist for USA Today, according to his Forbes bio, and this paragraph especially sparked my interest in a return visit to Detroit Shoreway soon:

<<I just returned from yet another trip to this always surprising city, and I had a great time. I loved strolling the quickly gentrifying Detroit-Shoreway neighborhood, full of cool indie boutiques and hipster restaurants. The perfect example is the new Brewnuts, a donut and craft beer shop that not only merges two hot culinary trends, but goes a step further and uses local beers in each and every one of its dozens of creative donut flavors. Just a couple of blocks away is another funky spot, the split personality Banter, which honors the city’s Eastern European heritage with an array of artisanal sausages from naturally raised meats, while half the menu is devoted to gourmet poutines - like rabbit pot pie. >>

Has anybody visited Brewnuts or Banter?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/brewnuts-cleveland

Banter apparently offers a Polish Boy sandwich, which many claim is Cleveland's signature sandwich, but not easily found in Cleveland restaurants.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/banter-beer-and-wine-cleveland

Menu

Old 11-23-2017, 07:47 AM

474 posts, read 840,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
"Vladimir Poutine"

Must visit Banter, I love poutine. Their sides look great, also.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:51 AM

220 posts, read 321,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

Has anybody visited Brewnuts or Banter?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/brewnuts-cleveland
I've been there. It has a nice, chill atmosphere. Donuts are good too and the beer is all local. My only gripe is that there wasn't enough seating.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:11 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Here's a rather poorly researched, but nonetheless positive story about Cleveland.

Visit Cleveland, Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland