Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 05:09 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
I totally agree about the walking distance maxim and also agree that if you have to drive for basics, it's not a real city. I've been frustrated (and have already talked about this too much) at how spread out it is here and not that walkable. I don't mean it as a criticism of CLE but just an observation and a description of my experience here. Long ago I used to live in Brookline, MA and that was a perfect blend of urban walkability and transportation with a village like environment.
Don't you live at Cedar Fairmount? Is there not a grocery store right there? A bank? A pharmacy? Bars? Restaurants? Cafes?

I'm pretty sure all those are there. What do you want to walk to?

Why didn't you move to Shaker square? It's kinda a lot like Coolidge corner, though not as upper class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I can do that in good weather, and even haul a few groceries that distance... but in the dead of winter I find it a little too rigorous. You're still pretty young, IIRC, but I'm fast closing in on 60 and I've developed some medical issues which make things more difficult.

And I reiterate, .25 to .5 miles being "walking distance" is a standard urbanist view.
It's already .1 from my house to the main street in my neighborhood. I think a standard urbanist view is kinda ridiculous then.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:10 PM

840 posts, read 759,647 times
Quote:
I've only been to Gypsy Bean once, but I thought it was great! Next time you're in downtown Lakewood, check out The Root Cafe, which is another indie coffee shop with a pretty interesting crowd.

I used to love the Cedar-Lee theater when I lived in Cleveland before, but that was back in my driving days when it took me 25 minutes to get there from Lakewood. Seems too daunting to go there now on the bus, from the West Side.

You know I do share your frustrations regarding the RTA... and the first time I found myself the only white person on the bus (and this was on the West Side!) it felt a little strange, I'll admit.

I find many -- not all -- of the RTA bus drivers to be rude as well, which doesn't help matters any. And I wish they'd do something with that computerized female voice on the buses that calls out all the stops. It's always calling out "Next stop" when the bus is already passing by that very stop. Not helpful for someone who's not quite sure where their stop is. Too easy to miss it.
I saw The Root Cafe so will have to actually go there soon, after Gypsy Bean. I like going over to Savers Thrift Shop at Westgate so I make the journey over there from my area (Cedar Fairmount) and it's quite a schlep so I can see why you don't bother. It's 3 buses. I know what you mean about the stop announcements...that's happened to me. So overall are you glad to be back to CLE?

Old 03-13-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Don't you live at Cedar Fairmount? Is there not a grocery store right there? A bank? A pharmacy? Bars? Restaurants? Cafes?

I'm pretty sure all those are there. What do you want to walk to?

Why didn't you move to Shaker square? It's kinda a lot like Coolidge corner, though not as upper class.
I was agreeing with the philosophy not complaining about my area. I still think CLE is very spread out especially downtown and I've already talked about that enough. But since you asked I'd like to be able to walk to the library (ok there is one up on Coventry) and it would be nice to have a post office and a CVS nearby as well as a bigger grocery store. I don't like Shaker Square. Is Coolidge Corner upper class now? I was pretty poor when I lived there (shared an apt. with a couple of others). It was a mix of different types of people, very Jewish....but I know rents are high.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I was agreeing with the philosophy not complaining about my area. I still think CLE is very spread out especially downtown and I've already talked about that enough. But since you asked I'd like to be able to walk to the library (ok there is one up on Coventry) and it would be nice to have a post office and a CVS nearby as well as a bigger grocery store. I don't like Shaker Square. Is Coolidge Corner upper class now? I was pretty poor when I lived there (shared an apt. with a couple of others). It was a mix of different types of people, very Jewish....but I know rents are high.
Sigh. Adding Shaker square to the long list of places you don't like already? I think I'm gonna stop trying now. I find some of these criticisms pretty.... I don't know, uncritical. You want public transit, Shaker square has 2 rail lines and at least 2 bus routes. It has a cvs, a movie theatre, like 5 restaurants, a cafe, close to a nature center, etc.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Sigh. Adding Shaker square to the long list of places you don't like already? I think I'm gonna stop trying now. I find some of these criticisms pretty.... I don't know, uncritical. You want public transit, Shaker square has 2 rail lines and at least 2 bus routes. It has a cvs, a movie theatre, like 5 restaurants, a cafe, close to a nature center, etc.
Not liking Shaker Square isn't something I can articulate and on paper it doesn't make sense since it has much of what I say I want. However it sort of a visceral thing...I read about Shaker Square before I got here and was convinced I'd want to live there and even buy a condo there but I've visited a few times and each time I leave feeling kind of lousy and thinking I don't want to go back. It might be because it feels unfamiliar and maybe that makes me feel something negative. Or maybe it's happening because I'm here alone and if I had moved here with someone (as I've done in the past), I'd be having a better time. Not sure. I should keep my mouth shut for a few months and maybe I'll have a different perspective by then.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I found plenty of fault with Chicago during my 20 years there, but overall I loved it. To me it's what a real city can and ought to be (well, the North Side, anyway). I hated to leave in 2015 and come back to Cleveland but I had to do so due to some economic and personal issues. Unfortunately, Chicago is becoming more and more expensive -- I perused rental ads the other day and was shocked at how rents have skyrocketed in the mere year-and-a-half that I've been away -- even in some of the more "marginal" neighborhoods.
I like that Chicago is a real city but the weather always made me think I couldn't live there. I recently looked at Zillow and it seemed condos were reasonably priced there and that made me wonder about it. Well, sorry you had to leave but hope you'll enjoy being back in Cleveland.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I think Clevelanders are plenty weird.

(Disclaimer: I've never been to the PNW.)
At least here people will speak to you on the street sometimes or while waiting in line...in Seattle if you try to talk to a stranger they look startled or don't respond. It's very introverted there and sometimes it seems people try to make themselves look as weird and unattractive as possible.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:28 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
I'd like to go to Gypsy Bean in Gordon Square.
Check out Presti's, Rising Star Coffee Roasters, and Algebra Tea House (not coffee) in Little Italy, Erie Island Coffee Co. on East 4th St., Phoenix Cafe locations, etc.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...land_Ohio.html

https://www.zomato.com/cleveland/uni...nts/coffee-tea

http://www.cleveland.com/top-restaur...ist_guide.html

http://phoenixcoffee.com/

Search here for "coffee and tea." Perhaps also search Cleveland Heights in addition to Cleveland.

Here are a couple other Cleveland ethnic legacies to explore:

http://blog.tasteitaly.com/wordpress...unch-specials/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...o.html#REVIEWS

Mitchell's:

https://www.mitchellschocolates.com/

Quote:
And I love the Cedar-Lee movie theater.
Check out both the Cleveland Museum of Art film series, one of the best art museum film series in the world, and the Cleveland Cinematheque.

Films | Cleveland Museum of Art

Cinematheque - Film Schedule | Cleveland Institute of Art College of Art | 800.223.4700

Cinematheque | Cleveland Institute of Art College of Art | 800.223.4700

Last edited by WRnative; 03-13-2017 at 08:50 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 09:20 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
At least here people will speak to you on the street sometimes or while waiting in line...in Seattle if you try to talk to a stranger they look startled or don't respond. It's very introverted there and sometimes it seems people try to make themselves look as weird and unattractive as possible.
I'm quite introverted myself, and when strangers speak to me on the street here I'm the startled one. Don't get me wrong, I like that it's friendly here and all, but sometimes I'm in a mood where I'd rather not be bothered. And sometimes -- in Lakewood, in particular -- I feel like people are staring at me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland