Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 07:20 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,541,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPinhead View Post
Err...no...you are wrong. Inner Harbor IS more crowded than all of Cleveland neighborhoods. As to tourist traps, what do you call East 4th or Warehouse district...if Cleveland had tourists? A bowling alley and House of Blues....touristy to me.

A "city" feel is about density of people and business. On this count Cleveland fails big time and has a LONG way to go to anyone who HAS lived in a real "city" atmosphere. Try walking around any of these neighborhoods during off hours...dead as dead can be almost every time. Crocker Park has more people milling around at night than East 4th St.

So now why is East 4th "cool" and Crocker Park not? Chains...sure...see you at House of Blues after bowling...we're so cool!
I guess the fact that Crocker park is a more happening place than East 4th is just too big a pill to swallow. *shuggs shoulders*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 07:25 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,149,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
I actually had a car that had NO cats on it because it was eligible for collectors plates in the state of Ohio. Talk about making some environmentalists blood boil lol. Loved every minute of it. But cruising around in that car and enjoying the feeling of control vs riding around on busses and taxi's listening to my ipod or walking down the city streets in cold Cleveland weather? Huh?
Well, that pretty much just makes you an a** for the first thing. And having to stop at a red light every 2 minutes, deal with terrible drivers, accidents, and traffic jams is really a feeling of control? Please. Give me my own 2 feet, or a bike any day. There's nothing I hate more than sitting around waiting for red lights when there are no cars, or traffic jams, while my car is running wasting gas. I would much rather be moving, even if it takes me longer. And when you don't have a lot of time to "work out", the exercise is worth it. I think this generation has turned to walking and public transportation for the same reason prior generations turned to cars -- freedom. Things are different now. Cars are less customizable, more difficult and expensive to repair, gas is more expensive, insurance is more expensive, cars themselves are much more expensive, driving is a hassle when people my age want to constantly be connected.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:31 PM

16 posts, read 34,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I like East 4th because the restaurants are good, it's pedestrian only, it has the CLE Clothing Co. shop, a place for comedy, it's close to the Indians and Cavs and Playhouse Square, and it's a great place to eat out on the patios during the summer. Really hopping in the summer actually. When people are out, it feels like a nice, lively neighborhood in any other major city.

Crocker Park has none of that. It's a horrible place. You need to go into the city some day, broseph.
Wrong again. Crocker Park dwarfs East 4th neighborhood. There will be more people there and more places to eat on any evening though it will wind down earlier. And clearly you haven't been there as there is also patio dining at many of the restaurants. And there's a Trader Joe's...something that a Cleveland resident can only drool about. So, East 4th is not bad but stop mocking Crocker Park because YOU think it is not cool. This is a very weak argument based on the facts. And it will never feel like a "lively neighborhood in any other major city" because it is too small, not enough people nor business. If you live in Boston you should know that to be true. There isn't even a food market near by. Oops...forgot you can get on your bike and pedal over the bridge to Constantino's or Dave's..good luck with that in January. Then again, those are chains so you better hit the West Side Market...though not on Tuesday or Thursday or after 4pm or so.

PS
You'll need a lot more than $20k for a decent car. Though perhaps a Vespa might be more hip/environmentally friendly!

Old 01-04-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I like East 4th because the restaurants are good, it's pedestrian only, it has the CLE Clothing Co. shop, a place for comedy, it's close to the Indians and Cavs and Playhouse Square, and it's a great place to eat out on the patios during the summer. Really hopping in the summer actually. When people are out, it feels like a nice, lively neighborhood in any other major city.

Crocker Park has none of that. It's a horrible place. You need to go into the city some day, broseph.
Crocker Park has more traffic than East 4th year round. They are doing something right over there and business is booming. And the OP only visited there to have lunch on his way home from the airport. Funny how a shopping mall receives more traffic that a "prime hangout spot" in Cleveland. The fact that the OP chose to stop their during his visit to Cleveland after a number of years is all that needs to be said about it's popularity.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:36 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,149,779 times
Sorry, but there is nothing in Crocker Park that can even remotely compare to the quality of dining options you can get on East 4th. Some people (and I won't say what I think about these people) would rather eat a hamburger from Cheescake Factory than a meal from a highly skilled chef, such as Michael Symon or Jonathan Sawyer. Those people can have Crocker Park. I'll take quality over quantity.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:40 PM

11,077 posts, read 12,525,986 times
Quote:
Wrong again. Crocker Park dwarfs East 4th neighborhood. There will be more people there and more places to eat on any evening though it will wind down earlier. And clearly you haven't been there as there is also patio dining at many of the restaurants. And there's a Trader Joe's...something that a Cleveland resident can only drool about. So, East 4th is not bad but stop mocking Crocker Park because YOU think it is not cool. This is a very weak argument based on the facts. And it will never feel like a "lively neighborhood in any other major city" because it is too small, not enough people nor business. If you live in Boston you should know that to be true. There isn't even a food market near by. Oops...forgot you can get on your bike and pedal over the bridge to Constantino's or Dave's..good luck with that in January. Then again, those are chains so you better hit the West Side Market...though not on Tuesday or Thursday or after 4pm or so.

PS
You'll need a lot more than $20k for a decent car. Though perhaps a Vespa might be more hip/environmentally friendly!
Crocker Park doesn't have any of what I said I liked about E. 4th. Who even brought up E 4th anyway? It's not even where I hang out that much when I'm in town.

There is a Heinen's going in at E. 9. No peddling necessary. Who said I even ride a bike? Buy a jacket. Get over the winter weather. It's Cleveland. It's cold. Quitcherbitchin. I thought your generation was supposed to be tough?

And yes, I live in Boston. We have miserable places like Crocker Park in our exurbs too. They are just as stupid here as they are in Cleveland. Places like that are usually successful these days because people have want to buy lots of stuff they don't really need. But whatever. They are cesspools where individuality goes to die.

Who said I care at all about the environment?

And no, you don't need more than $20k for a decent car. I am not as wasteful with my money as you apparently are. I also know how to negotiate. If you know what you're doing, you can buy a cheap car and fix it up yourself. There is really no need to be so financially irresponsible, my man.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Crocker Park doesn't have any of what I said I liked about E. 4th. Who even brought up E 4th anyway? It's not even where I hang out that much when I'm in town.

There is a Heinen's going in at E. 9. No peddling necessary. Who said I even ride a bike? Buy a jacket. Get over the winter weather. It's Cleveland. It's cold. Quitcherbitchin. I thought your generation was supposed to be tough?

And yes, I live in Boston. We have miserable places like Crocker Park in our exurbs too. They are just as stupid here as they are in Cleveland. Places like that are usually successful these days because people have want to buy lots of stuff they don't really need. But whatever. They are cesspools where individuality goes to die.

Who said I care at all about the environment?

And no, you don't need more than $20k for a decent car. I am not as wasteful with my money as you apparently are. I also know how to negotiate. If you know what you're doing, you can buy a cheap car and fix it up yourself. There is really no need to be so financially irresponsible, my man.
Why are you commenting on being fiscally irresponsible when you decided to take a job in a location that requires you to share a small living quarters with 3 other people? I know the Cleveland job market sucked when you left for Boston, but surely there were other opportunities in your field where you could find more reasonable housing costs. It would have enabled you to demonstrate your excellent money management skills that you infer are superior to others simply because they own a car and you do not and they choose to shop at a less expensive Crocker Park rather that a more expensive restaurant in Cleveland.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:56 PM

3,978 posts, read 5,808,268 times
Quote:
This has to be one of the most hilarious posts yet. Queens and the Bronx are boring? REALLY? Have you ever been to either one? And compared to what, Cleveland?

There is more going on in Astoria (Queens) than all of Cleveland combined on any given evening. People and business = density. Fantastic food and bars galore...and that's just one 'hood in one borough of New York City. Or go to Forest Hills (Queens) and again more than Cleveland. And the Bronx...well how about Arthur Ave for REAL Italian food that is not the utter garbage served on Mayfield Ave in Cleveland!

I really think that some of the usual posters need to get out of Cleveland before claiming how "city" like it is. It is not bad for what it is, but it lacks density and constant buzz of what makes a city exciting.

For the uninformed, do yourself a favor and visit Cleveland and then go to any of the other cities discussed: Chicago, Boston, Baltimore, etc. You will NOT choose Cleveland if you don't have to because cheap housing and more "city" life is available in any of these other cities for a comparable cost to Cleveland.

And lastly, without the jobs it doesn't matter what is opened in Cleveland as no one can fill all the seats. Remember that for every person who moves TO Cleveland that is one less person in Lakewood, Shaker, etc. The population of the region is declining so it is a ZERO SUM game. Start posting about all the new good jobs coming to the city if not the area. Maybe then the population will stop falling year after year after year.
You're off point about Boston having cheap housing. Housing is very expensive here and even though wages may be higher than Cleveland's, for many people it's not high enough to actually live comfortably in the area. Ditto with New York. That's one major reason why I went to visit Cleveland in September, to look at an affordable place that's working hard to turn itself around. And to tell you the truth, I would relocate to Cleveland if I had the opportunity but only because I can't afford to at the moment (affordability does not just mean cheap housing in this sense, it means giving up work and family too). There is too much potential in Cleveland to be ignored anymore.

BTW you are right to say that Bronx and Queens are interesting places but come on now! Comparing New York to Cleveland or any other city in the US is comparing apples to oranges. New York is in a league of its own and it's a whole lot more expensive than most other places in the nation.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 PM

11,077 posts, read 12,525,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
You're off point about Boston having cheap housing. Housing is very expensive here and even though wages may be higher than Cleveland's, for many people it's not high enough to actually live comfortably in the area. Ditto with New York. That's one major reason why I went to visit Cleveland in September, to look at an affordable place that's working hard to turn itself around. And to tell you the truth, I would relocate to Cleveland if I had the opportunity but only because I can't afford to at the moment (affordability does not just mean cheap housing in this sense, it means giving up work and family too). There is too much potential in Cleveland to be ignored anymore.

BTW you are right to say that Bronx and Queens are interesting places but come on now! Comparing New York to Cleveland or any other city in the US is comparing apples to oranges. New York is in a league of its own and it's a whole lot more expensive than most other places in the nation.
What do you know about anything? You've never left Cleveland, you stupid hipster.

Oh wait, not even from Cleveland.... uhhh........

Old 01-04-2014, 08:05 PM

4,683 posts, read 5,015,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Actually, houses in a lot of suburbs are cheaper than houses in trendy urban neighborhoods like Ohio City, Tremont, Gordon Square, Collinwood that a lot of younger people are moving to. It's not just about what we're able to afford, as many of these people are quite well off young professionals who do own cars. Our values are just different than those of previous generations. We didn't grow up in an era where "cruising" around in your car, or working on an old beater was cool. We grew up at a time when cars were too expensive for a lot of teenagers, and we were constantly being forced to be driven around by our parents, and we were constantly being told how we have polluted the environment. A lot of us resent that dependence on the automobile. It is a lot more freeing when you don't have to rely on a car to get places. Also there is the added benefit of not having to look for or pay for parking, which is important in the urban environments that many young people are choosing to live.
Those were both cool when I was a teenager in Lakewood in the mid 90s to early 00s. Were you inside playing SimCity the whole time or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland