Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 05:41 AM

74 posts, read 223,721 times

Advertisements

Well, after spending the last 9 months abroad... it's time to move back to Cleveland.

I am a life-long West-sider (Lakewood) and my wife has spend about the past 10 years on the West-side. However, we will be living in University Heights. I am somewhat familiar with the area, but don't really know the quirks about it that you get from living there.

For example;
-Is there an overnight street parking ordinance?
-Can we have a firepit in the backyard?
-How is the police presence?
-Any community events? Farmers markets, etc...

I have heard that Geraci's Italian Restaurant is good, and we are within walking distance of that. Anywhere else local that is a must? Again, I know the area, but never have really spent any time there so I don't know the details of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 08:00 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,835,105 times
I don't know for sure about overnight street parking, but probably there is. Call, IMO. Same with firepits.

Can't speak to police presence.

AS for community stuff, restaurants, etc., you're basically piggy-backing off of Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights, IMO. The farmer's markets Saturday mornings at Shaker Square and the restaurants there and along Lee Road and Coventry in Cleveland Heights.

Pizza - Dewey's (Lee)
Thai - High Thai'd (Coventry)
Upscale - Sasa (Shaker Square)
Sandwiches/Soup - Stone Oven (Lee)
Bakery - On the Rise (Taylor and Fairmount)

There are other good places as well.

Also, I think Whole Foods does some themed tastings and stuff Fridays from 5-7 so you may check that out as well.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:02 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmesh View Post
Well, after spending the last 9 months abroad... it's time to move back to Cleveland.

I am a life-long West-sider (Lakewood) and my wife has spend about the past 10 years on the West-side. However, we will be living in University Heights. I am somewhat familiar with the area, but don't really know the quirks about it that you get from living there.

For example;

I have heard that Geraci's Italian Restaurant is good, and we are within walking distance of that. Anywhere else local that is a must? Again, I know the area, but never have really spent any time there so I don't know the details of it.
Lived right over the border in Shaker for years, so I'll tell you what I know.
-No overnight street parking on most streets. You might be able to make special arrangements with the city though.
-Not sure about the firepits, but 99% sure you can.
-Police presence is pretty good, UH is really a pretty low crime area as it is.
-UH itself is only about 1 square mile big, so it doesn't have all that much to offer in terms of community events, besides things involving the university, like sporting events. If you want farmers markets and other events, you could head out to Shaker Heights, and Cleveland Heights. There is a very nice farmer's market I've heard every weekend at Shaker Square.
-Other local restaurants that are a must: Bialy's Bagels (best bagels in the city IMO), Jack's Deli (best corned beef in the city IMO). The restaurants on Fairmount Circle: Dave's Cosmic Subs, Ben and Jerry's, and Pizzazz are all worth checking out. And of course, there are tons of restaurants in Cleveland Heights on Coventry, and Lee Road. But for UH, those are mostly the local hotspots. You'll notice there is a substantial Orthodox Jewish presence in UH, (hence the bagels, and Jewish style deli).

Old 08-29-2013, 09:55 AM
jmv

96 posts, read 214,828 times
...and coming this fall Sweet Melissa restaurant opening in Fairmount Cirlce (in the former North Park Grille location). As a former west sider, you might be familiar with their Rocky River restaurant. It is FABULOUS!

Old 09-04-2013, 03:14 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmesh View Post

For example;

My hometown...welcome!

-You cannot park overnight unless you call the police and request permission (which they usually grant if you have a good reason, like guests and not enough room in the driveway).

-Yes you can have a fire pit.

-Decent police presence (not like Cleveland Heights though and few, if any, speed traps). Most crime is petty and related to John Carroll University student mischief. JCU has its own police/security team which helps.

-University Heights is known mostly for its long-standing Memorial Day parade and its neighborhood block parties. Unfortunately you won't get to experience either for a few months.

-The closest farmer's market is at the church in Shaker Heights on Fairmount Boulevard (near the intersection with Eaton). Not sure of that church's name, but the market is on Wednesday evenings from 4-7 P.M.

Other than that, I think everyone else hit on just about all that you would need to know. There are some fantastic dining/entertainment options if not in UH then in nearby Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:04 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
University Heights is a fine area. I know a couple roommates together in Tremont who just moved to UH actually, appreciating the fact that their cars are much safer in UH. Really small land area, so it's really just an extension of Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights (anything going on in Shaker or CH, you are also right in the middle of). Not much crime to speak of except for college mischief, usually on Warrensville. I always like getting pizza at Geraci's or Pizzaz, and subs from Dave's Cosmic Subs. Used to go to O'Brien's pub sometimes too. Hardly anyone knows about the place, it's definitely not as "sexy" as other bars in Cleveland Heights or near west side, but I always liked going there. Melt is also right across the street from the UH border with CH on Taylor.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:19 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
University Heights is a fine area. I know a couple roommates together in Tremont who just moved to UH actually, appreciating the fact that their cars are much safer in UH. Really small land area, so it's really just an extension of Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights (anything going on in Shaker or CH, you are also right in the middle of). Not much crime to speak of except for college mischief, usually on Warrensville. I always like getting pizza at Geraci's or Pizzaz, and subs from Dave's Cosmic Subs. Used to go to O'Brien's pub sometimes too. Hardly anyone knows about the place, it's definitely not as "sexy" as other bars in Cleveland Heights or near west side, but I always liked going there. Melt is also right across the street from the UH border with CH on Taylor.
O'Reilly's Pub?

Old 09-06-2013, 02:35 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,835,105 times
I miss Jimmy O'Neil's.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:34 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
O'Reilly's Pub?
O'Reilley's! Haha sorry, been away for too long... you know what I mean. Damn Irish people.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:09 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times
^All the comments are pretty on target... UH is a very pleasant little suburb right in the core of the Heights area. Crime is low and the only thing that may be a bother are the college kids, although JCU is a quality, moderate-size campus with a lot of clean-scrubbed Catholic kids. The college "strip" such that it is, is a moderate complex of about 2-3 restaurants/grills, a CVS and a couple doctor's offices... Houses are solid -- it's an upper middle class suburb generally... And the Green Line Rapid Transit line in Shaker is about a half-mile walk either down Belvoir or Warrensville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland