Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2008, 06:31 AM

40 posts, read 200,193 times

Advertisements

We are a family with a five year old and will be relocating to the area. We like what we've read about University Heights, but are concerned that its proximity to East Cleveland will make it less safe than we would like. Any thoughts on the area are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 09:59 PM

155 posts, read 459,940 times
University Hts does not border EC. Cleve Hts is between them. But, as a former resident of UH, generally it is safe, but some areas have more rentals and unfortunately are a bit more rambunctious. Also, UH is part of the school system with CL H, which has been on the decline for the last 10+ years. But, private (both catholic and regular) are close by. High taxes.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:56 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,276 times
University Heights is pretty safe. Its crime rate is definitely well below average especially for the area. I didnt think it bordered East Cleveland, and its proximity is not that close. It doesnt seem to have effected University Hts. that much. I wouldnt worry about crime there. It has gone downhill from its prime but is still a nice area.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:07 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,769 times
I pretty much agree with the above comments. I am curious about the choice though. UH is harmless enough, but a slightly dull inner ring burb. And by dull I mostly mean the housing stock (1940'-60's) and some of the worn out shopping areas. Still I would consider it safe enough.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:31 PM
CLF

22 posts, read 53,125 times
University Heights is very popular with young families. The best area of University Heights is west of Warnsville, south of Medowbrook, east of Eaton, and north of Fairmont. It's still pretty nice a little north of medowbrook or in the area around John Carroll (though that means living around collage kids who aren't dangerous, but they may be rowdy and annoying!)

The houses in University Heights may be older, but most are very well built and have generally been maintained pretty well.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 11,625 times
Default University heights

I live in UH.You have your common little problems (robbery,fights,...) like any other city.However the % is very very low compared to the other cities.I have raised 2 kids in UH that mainly during summer vacations,they are outside playing without any fear.I live next to JCU and you wouldn't know that there is a campus if you are an outsider.Of course once in awhile there are students walking on your street and can be loud especially on Fridays or Saturdays.Overall this is a very quiet city with no big crimes.The CH-UH schools are not the best but no the worst in Cleveland.However the private schools are very good (GESU a catholic school as an example).
Housing is very affordable but taxes are high due to lack of industries.Contrary to an email, there are no run down stores.I would say the stores are very well kept and attract shoppers from other areas.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:30 AM

217 posts, read 692,655 times
university heights is pleasantville....and it doesnt border east cleveland...

Old 12-07-2008, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 9,751 times
University Heights is a nice community; low in crime. I've lived here over 15 years. Off the main roads there are quiet friendly streets where neighbors look out for each other. The school system I think is on its way back with innovative developments at Heights High and, as others have said, there are excellent private schools. Cedar Center on Warrensville & Cedar is in the midst of renovation, one half is rebuilt, the other in demolition mode, so I would recommend housing south of Silsby.

Best of luck and Welcome to the Neighborhood ^_^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland