Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:39 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,317,108 times

Advertisements

I've been to Cleveland and took a drive through some of the surrounding suburbs, but didn't get a chance to explore much in depth. The inner-ring suburb of Parma seems to have the (outdated?) reputation as a community of Catholic, ethnic people who like to bowl, eat pierogies, and put pink flamingoes on the lawn.... When I drove through Parma (a few years ago) I didn't see any pink flamingoes or bowling alleys, though. So what is it really like? Is it basically a mix of older ethnic people with younger newcomers? Is it blue collar, white collar, or...? Just curious-- In Milwaukee the communities of West Allis and Cudahy still carry the blue collar and bowling rep, and in Buffalo the city of Cheektowaga is still seen as predominantly Polish and blue collar. Just wondering if Parma is similar, or if things have changed (or never were that way)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 11:29 AM

8 posts, read 56,770 times
thats pretty much it. Except now they just use tons of HUGE blowup holiday decorations. Not just for Christmas either, but for valentines day, halloween, 4th of july, etc.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:09 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,909,425 times
The pink flamingos can be found in many cities!...anyhow, that was something of years gone by.
And those HUGE blow-up decorations can be found on many a lawns from east to west...LOL...it's not just a Parma "thing".

Parma has always been known to have the certain ethnic folks...and they also don't just bowl or chow on rogies...LOL

All kidding aside...Parma is decent. It may not compare to say Westlake...but I'd rank it as a good burb to live in...south of Snow Road I personally consider a better choice for location.

Is it a blue collar or white collar town? I'd say a mix of both. Brooklyn, the neighboring town north of Parma, I consider predominately blue collar.

Last edited by citybythebay; 11-11-2007 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: blue collar/white collar?

Old 11-11-2007, 04:18 PM

8 posts, read 56,770 times
agreed. South of Snow is a little nicer. A few years newer. Last year it was ranked as one of the safest cities in America. I've lived in Parma my whole life; and as much as it sucks, its very cheap and doesn't have thugs walking around on the streets. Unless you count the 80lb highschool freshman with his hat backwards and pants mid-thigh chillin at the food court in parmatown.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 10,640 times
Parma is great, a truly unique and interesting city, its safe and i like how it is not dominated by yuppies or WASP's but is very diverse, I usua;;y just go there for parmatown but i sometimes drive around just to get the feel of the city.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:09 PM

80 posts, read 344,861 times
What is Parma really like?

Just awful.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:29 AM

20 posts, read 66,183 times
Parma is comprised mainly of hard working middle class families who are visciously trying to hang onto the perception of a traditional and "safe" community. Thus, in the minds of many Parmenian's, safe means no Black families and no Hispanics. Parma has a reputation of being hostile towards minorities---even those who aren't "thugs" and who have decent jobs, etc... Therefore, if you're looking for a predominately white community that seeks to be all white, Parma is definitely a good place to live. The folks there aren't necessarily bad people but they do raise eyebrows and in a couple of cases have literally burned crosses in the yards of the one or two minorities that were brave enough to attempt to integrate that community.

On the otherhand, the city has a decent school district, nice location, and pretty good retail options.

Good luck with your move!

p.s. I think the blow up yard decorations are so funny! Parma is definitely good for that!

Old 11-26-2007, 12:16 PM

89 posts, read 505,228 times
Tons of Seniors and then they pass away and their family sell off their homes to young blue collar/welfare people. I can say that becausemy hub is a pharmacist and whenever he works in Parma he says very few pay for their RX's they mostly are on the "card".

Old 11-27-2007, 09:34 AM

56 posts, read 183,804 times
parma is lower to mid working class..still mostly white/ immigrant area.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:47 AM

9 posts, read 40,547 times
ghetto!

DONT MOVE THERE.

BROOK park is right next to parma, its much nice and there is a bowling places on snow road, middleburg is even never and right next to brookpark (west of brookpark) pearl rd area.

but no parma. ghetto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland