Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:15 AM

16 posts, read 51,485 times

Advertisements

Parma is like a time warp back to 1983. Camaros blaring Journey out the stereo and moms who try to be their teenage daughter's "best friend" by getting tats and multiple piercings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 08:16 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,882 times
Loads of retired folks. LOTS of them and still driving. Stay out of Mid Town plaza as the make way to the buffet eatery there around lunch. It's a slow go in the parking lot. Be patient as you can with them. I realise I'll be old, geezerly and in the way too someday.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:36 AM

980 posts, read 1,146,300 times
Default Parma = The United Nations Assembly

The Old Town, Ain't What It Used To Be

Go to Walmart at Parmatown. The many lawsuits against that corporation have paid off. The White Male Employee is virtually extinct!

Old 02-14-2009, 05:45 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,882 times
Chef! The UN Assembly for sure!

I deliver packages in Parma, and there are some apartment complexes where there are only old certain ethnics who speak no English; Russian, Eastern European, East India Sikhs, you name it.

All nice folks, but, trying to communicate with them when trying to deliver to them gets reduced to hand signals, gestures. Good thing I was good at playing "Charades" when I was younger!

Sounds like...(pulling on ear)

I will say that the Ukrainian Village on State Road is nice, lots of import biz there, they make the area, they are easy on the eyes, a good looking creed of people. They don't depress area like a lot of the 3rd de-generation white trash that lurks around the 54th and Brookpark corner area.

As far as whats on that milk carton...whats to miss?

I see it all, every day...a real treat is the trailer park on 2700-3000 Brookpark, what an eyesore, right smack in an industrial area.

I enjoy the fresh influx of Euro-ethnic, as my Father (RIP 2008) was from Bosnia.

I lived in New Mexico for a year...Native Americans, Hispanics, and White Anglo cowboys, with nothing else inbetween unless you are near a university...it gets stale culturally real quick.

Last edited by newmex; 02-14-2009 at 06:53 AM..

Old 02-14-2009, 07:52 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times
i spent most of my life growing up off state rd. which is now the ukrainian villiage nieghborhood. as mentioned above, parma is full of different ethnic groups. imo this helps keep parma stable compared to alot of inner-ring suburbs.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:07 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,300 times
White Male Employees = White Men. People from Russia are White People

Old 05-31-2018, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,147 times
I moved south to Atlanta Ga and cant wait to get back to Parma. I do not care about diversity even though I am married to a Hispanic woman. I ve been gone twenty years and I cannot find such a walkable city such as parma with simple brick bungalows that sell for reasonable prices. Don't fall for the trap that its greener on the other side because it isn't. Traffic in many cities across the country will make one yearn for Parma Ohio. If you want to make it safer get rid of the few bars and party in the flats of Cleveland. Counting the days to return !

Old 12-29-2018, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 855 times
Parma is a beautiful and well maintained city. The population far exceeds any of its neighbors, except for Cleveland. The location is superb. The city is well laid out with predominantly residential living, many churches and religious institutions, public and private schools, represented by many different nationalities, albeit predominantly of Eastern European descent. Retail and medical facilities are present and accessible. Parma has rebounded nicely since the most recent recession of 2008, although it had struggled financially for many years prior. Yes, predominantly blue collar, settled with Eastern European immigrants decades ago, many of their offspring are highly educated white collar and professionals. The local population thrives on their own traditions and have defined the city by various commemorations and annual celebrations of ethnic and religious pride. The city is beautifully laid out with NO railroads, highways, or air-traffic above, polluting its visual and audible spaces. There is a beautiful golf course and club house available to all the residents, and public parks and nature preserves. Driving up and down the residential streets you typically find well maintained homes, manicured lots, and caring neighbors. For safety and school info contact the city hall and school administration offices. Much info can also be found on-line. Yes, I grew up in Parma. I've lived in various Greater Cleveland Communities. I now sell real estate. I sell all throughout greater Cleveland and say unequivocally that Parma is arguably the nicest first ring suburb, and it's array of housing, for first timers, retirees and everyone in between makes this a wonderful, all inclusive go-to city.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:23 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
Great post...and honest. Parma is having the last laugh. I may be moving back to Akron from New Mexico to our unsold house to keep our copper plumbing from being stolen. Not a bad place to live, but you got to keep bad elements in their place. I'm not looking forward to having people at the gas station put the bum on me for cash along with a story of pain and woe.
Sounds more like New Mexico than Parma to me!

Old 12-30-2018, 10:06 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ireneiammarino View Post
Parma is a beautiful and well maintained city. The population far exceeds any of its neighbors, except for Cleveland. The location is superb. The city is well laid out with predominantly residential living, many churches and religious institutions, public and private schools, represented by many different nationalities, albeit predominantly of Eastern European descent. Retail and medical facilities are present and accessible. Parma has rebounded nicely since the most recent recession of 2008, although it had struggled financially for many years prior. Yes, predominantly blue collar, settled with Eastern European immigrants decades ago, many of their offspring are highly educated white collar and professionals. The local population thrives on their own traditions and have defined the city by various commemorations and annual celebrations of ethnic and religious pride. The city is beautifully laid out with NO railroads, highways, or air-traffic above, polluting its visual and audible spaces. There is a beautiful golf course and club house available to all the residents, and public parks and nature preserves. Driving up and down the residential streets you typically find well maintained homes, manicured lots, and caring neighbors. For safety and school info contact the city hall and school administration offices. Much info can also be found on-line. Yes, I grew up in Parma. I've lived in various Greater Cleveland Communities. I now sell real estate. I sell all throughout greater Cleveland and say unequivocally that Parma is arguably the nicest first ring suburb, and it's array of housing, for first timers, retirees and everyone in between makes this a wonderful, all inclusive go-to city.
How is Parma's location considered superb? You tout the absence within the city of freeways, but that absence of quick access certainly slows travel times. Also, Parma doesn't have the robust mass transit options -- rail and bus rapids -- available to the likes of Lakewood and Shaker Hts.

Unlike Lakewood, Parma doesn't have any Lake Erie shoreline or a major Cleveland Metroparks reservation.

Parma isn't close to the cultural institutions of University Circle compared to Shaker Hts.

Parma also hasn't well supported its public schools, resulting in both a low state report card grade (D), and weak performance relative to median income.

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/news/...ol-distri.html

Certainly, housing prices don't suggest that Parma is the "nicest" of Cleveland's first inner ring suburbs.

https://www.zillow.com/shaker-heights-oh/home-values/

https://www.zillow.com/lakewood-oh/home-values/

https://www.zillow.com/fairview-park-oh/home-values/

https://www.zillow.com/north-olmsted-oh/home-values/

https://www.zillow.com/brook-park-oh/home-values/

https://www.zillow.com/parma-oh/home-values/

Last edited by WRnative; 12-30-2018 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland