Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 10:35 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times

Advertisements

Parma has a central location. Close to downtown(15 min) and edgewater beach (20 minutes).
Parma has multiple bus lines and state Rd has the metro line.
The state Rd nieghborhoods along the Ukrainian village area especially, is now the equivalent of a new Slavic village with numerous Eastern European foods.
Parma is considerably safer than a more touted Cleveland hts. , along with many of the other crime ridden inner ring suburbs such as maple hts, Garfield hts, Euclid etc.
Imo the eastern inner-ring suburbs are the next ghettos of cuyahoga county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 10:55 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Parma is considerably safer than a more touted Cleveland hts. , along with many of the other crime ridden inner ring suburbs such as maple hts, Garfield hts, Euclid etc.
What was the data source for your comparisons?

Lakewood and North Olmsted crime rates are comparable to those in Parma, based on outdated city-data data.

The violent crime rate in Shaker Hts. apparently is much lower than in Parma.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Parma even has a higher violent crime rate than Cleveland Hts.

Anyway, my major objection was to the statement that Parma is unequivocally the "nicest" inner ring suburb. Do you believe that???

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2019 at 01:06 AM..

Old 12-30-2018, 02:13 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Anyway, my major objection was to the statement that Parma is unequivocally the "nicest" inner ring suburb. Do you believe that???
Well, "nicest" is subjective -- one person's trash is another person's treasure and all that -- but why was I not surprised that the poster who wrote that screed sells real estate? (I had guessed as much long before I got to that disclosure.)

Several decades ago, author Paul Fussell described Parma as "a city of 100,000 without a daily newspaper, bus system, hotel, or map of itself." (Today's Parma has a population closer to 78,000.)

I always imagined these people to be Mr. and Mrs. Parma:

The Dinette Set (f.k.a. "Suburban Torture")

Old 12-31-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
What was the data source for your comparisons?

Lakewood and North Olmsted crime rates are comparable to those in Parma, based on outdated city-data data.

The violent crime rate in Shaker Hts. apparently is much lower than in Parma.

Parma even has a higher violent crime rate than Cleveland Hts.

I would probably say Parma is third nicest inner-ring suburb behind Lakewood and Shaker Heights but that's just my opinion

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2019 at 01:05 AM..

Old 12-31-2018, 02:09 PM

227 posts, read 197,968 times
Quote:
I would probably say Parma is third nicest inner-ring suburb behind Lakewood and Shaker Heights but that's just my opinion

There is nothing nice about Parma. Shouldn't even be in the same sentence as Lakewood or Shaker Heights.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
What about Bratenahl?

Old 12-31-2018, 02:56 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
What about Bratenahl?
Good catch! I forgot about it.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post

There is nothing nice about Parma. Shouldn't even be in the same sentence as Lakewood or Shaker Heights.
Why would you say that? Most of the neighborhoods and housing is in better shape than Lakewoods. And parking in a lot of areas is on street
Lakewood has the lake. Otherwise it would be like 90% of the other suburbs imo

Old 01-01-2019, 05:17 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,115 times
Uh-oh, its battle of the burbs and its quickly devolving into east vs west with racial overtones. Classic Cleveland.

My 2 cent analysis is that Parma is still pretty decent today and most of the comments here about working class, decent this/that are probably correct. I have never seen anything resembling ghetto and have always felt safe in Parma.

Parma's population is getting pulled into Brecksville/Broadview/Royalton/Strongsville/Middleburg but luckily for Parma, it pulls from Cleveland's west side. So my guess is that Parma will continue to be Parma and not suffer the fate of Garfield/Maple.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:48 PM

I'm so sad that Parmatown Mall died. I miss getting a giant cinnamon roll slathered with buttercream icing from Cheryl's Cookies there, near the edge of the food court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland