Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:23 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,276 times

Advertisements

Parma is no where near ghetto. I did notice that Parma is basically completely white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 07:00 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
Default parma

parma is just another part of diverse metro cleveland. still hard working, ethnic, mostly white and mostly safe. nieghborhoods are close knit and many languages are still spoken. try state road...seems like there is a bar or church every few blocks so you will have no problem buying home-made church pierogies and washing them down with a cold beverage. ps- wear white socks !

Old 12-05-2007, 06:52 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsii View Post
Parma is comprised mainly of hard working middle class families who are visciously trying to hang onto the perception of a traditional and "safe" community. Thus, in the minds of many Parmenian's, safe means no Black families and no Hispanics. Parma has a reputation of being hostile towards minorities---even those who aren't "thugs" and who have decent jobs, etc... Therefore, if you're looking for a predominately white community that seeks to be all white, Parma is definitely a good place to live. The folks there aren't necessarily bad people but they do raise eyebrows and in a couple of cases have literally burned crosses in the yards of the one or two minorities that were brave enough to attempt to integrate that community.

On the otherhand, the city has a decent school district, nice location, and pretty good retail options.

Good luck with your move!

p.s. I think the blow up yard decorations are so funny! Parma is definitely good for that!
Great post...and honest. Parma is having the last laugh. I may be moving back to Akron from New Mexico to our unsold house to keep our copper plumbing from being stolen. Not a bad place to live, but you got to keep bad elements in their place. I'm not looking forward to having people at the gas station put the bum on me for cash along with a story of pain and woe.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:35 PM

5 posts, read 27,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartbury View Post
What is Parma really like?

Just awful.
Shaker is awesome, though.

Parma isn't bad, but as others have posted, the north side of Snow Rd isn't on the upswing. And if you're looking to buy here, don't expect your property value to increase any time in the near future.

I work in Buffalo from time to time, and the city of Cheektowaga is actually quite similar to Parma. One side of town with 1940s and 1950s bungalows (blue collar), the other side with slightly newer and larger homes (white collar).

Parma isn't quite as ethnic as advertised, but there are plenty of places with eastern European food and things like that. Don't be fooled by people from Brook Park calling Parma 'ghetto'. If Brook Park had 100,000 people, these two towns would be identical, neither being a bad place to live, mind you. Brook Park is an even more racist town than Parma, by the way. I admit that there is some racial tension here, but no worse than that in Cheektowaga, I suspect. I'm hispanic, and have never been disrespected in any way.

Brook Park is home to the larger bowling alleys, which are within a 10-15 minute drive of any point in Parma.

If a town like the one you live in now is what you're looking for, then you'll love both Parma and Brook Park. You'll feel right at home. If you like the suburbs and can afford it, look a little farther out, like Strongsville, Westlake, or Avon/Avon Lake. Nice cities all 15-30 minutes from downtown Cleveland. Judging by your current location, the western/southwestern suburbs of Cleveland are definitely where you'll feel more comfortable. It's funny how opposite sides of cities have totally different feels.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:48 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Parma is no where near ghetto. I did notice that Parma is basically completely white.
I have come to the conclusion you may be in high school?

Parma isn't 'ghetto' per se, but it does exhibit a fair share of 'trash' and it's very noticeable. It's more blue collar, I'd say. And in terms of 'ethnicity' it is of European decent. It's not that the city is anywhere near ghetto, it's youth like to resemble thugs and dress trashy. I don't mind Parma though, and know many great residents. There are just far better places to live for the same standard of living in Cleveland.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:58 AM

9 posts, read 84,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomgirl View Post
ghetto!

DONT MOVE THERE.

BROOK park is right next to parma, its much nice and there is a bowling places on snow road, middleburg is even never and right next to brookpark (west of brookpark) pearl rd area.

but no parma. ghetto
Parma? Ghetto? Are you kidding me? What exactly makes that so?

Old 12-25-2007, 01:36 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiM View Post
Parma? Ghetto? Are you kidding me? What exactly makes that so?
The city is not ghetto and it is certainly a very safe community. Just many of the youth dress and act 'trashy' and there is a fair share of 'ghetto-wanna-bes'

Old 12-26-2007, 03:30 AM

59 posts, read 220,686 times
Parma's still mostly blue collar, Eastern European, but it's actually becoming more diverse. The area around the Chevy plant (South of Brookpark, East of 130th) is one the most diverse in the western suburbs .. though there are neighborhoods in Berea and Lakewood that are probably more diverse. But that neighborhood isn't for homeowners .. a lot of apartments. I'm not a big Parma fan, but I don't think it's as bad as some may say it is as far as being racist.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:20 AM

44 posts, read 177,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I have come to the conclusion you may be in high school?

Parma isn't 'ghetto' per se, but it does exhibit a fair share of 'trash' and it's very noticeable. It's more blue collar, I'd say. And in terms of 'ethnicity' it is of European decent. It's not that the city is anywhere near ghetto, it's youth like to resemble thugs and dress trashy. I don't mind Parma though, and know many great residents. There are just far better places to live for the same standard of living in Cleveland.
What places in Greater Cleveland offer a far better standard of living for the same cost as Parma? Cities such a Stongsville, North Royalton, Westlake, and Beachwood are far more expensive, yet the services are about the same. Other suburbs with home prices similar to Parma happen to have higher crime rates and are in a steady rate of decline.

Parma is not Hunting Valley nor is it E. Cleveland. It is an affordable working class city that offers its residents a safe, and convenient place to live. In replying to another post home values in Parma while down somewhat, have not taken the dive as those in some other suburbs such as Garfield Heights of even Lakewood have. Parma is relatively stable compared to the other inner ring suburbs.

There have been racial incidents in Parma, but many of those were perpetrated by people who did not even reside there. Much of the perception of Parma being racist came from the fact that Parma did not want CMHA to build projects in the city, which I think was a good policy. They did build their own project that is far better than anything CMHA would have done. There were also some former politicians that made some asinine comments to add to the perception.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:29 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,585,284 times
> and in a couple of cases have literally burned crosses in the yards of the one or two minorities that were brave enough to attempt to integrate that community<

Holy 1988 batman!

Houses are hard to sell in Parma. Some of the hard to move houses become rentals to crud.

Ghetto means you get shot. You will not be shot in Parma. Most of Parma are employed people making 35-45K a year. Some are the crud mentioned above. Seems like 1 house on each street of otherwise nice families and houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland