Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 18,186 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating from Denver to Cleveland and I am not that thrilled about it at all. I've taken a great position at Cleveland Clinic and we both grew up in Cleveland. My wife always wanted to be closer to family, but I just think the city is in complete ruins.

We grew up on the Westside and do not want to be on top of our families. Everytime we say we are looking in Cleveland Heights or anywhere on the Eastside, everyone freaks out. They say it is unsafe and not good for families.

So, where should we live that feels safe and still unique? We like urban, hate the burbs, hate corporate strip malls, etc. I'm already regretting this move because Denver is a world class city and I did not like growing up in Westpark and Lakewood. Any advice on how to make this at least different than my last experience in Cleveland? We have been gone for over 6 years.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:22 PM

16 posts, read 81,188 times
I'm not sure you can find a good urban area. Cleveland Heights probably is your best bet, but it HAS deteriorated since you left. I'd say it's fine for adults, but I wouldn't raise a family there (just my opinion). Have you thought about smaller suburbs farther out? I'm talking a 30 min. or more commute. That's the only other idea I can throw out where it's safe, but you'll avoid the strip malls and such. Best wishes!

Old 09-10-2007, 01:53 PM

4 posts, read 18,186 times
Yes, actually I've been hearing good things about Hudson, Highland Hills, Twinsburg and other places I never heard of when I lived there before. We are willing to trade urban for a great school district, younger community and "quaintness". I'm only weary of the westside because I can't even go to the grocery store without running into somebody I went to high school with. I want to avoid the awkward conversations!

Old 09-10-2007, 02:56 PM

16 posts, read 81,188 times
I don't know the west side well, but I grew up in Macedonia (southeast), and I now live in Medina (south). I'd avoid Twinsburg, as it is very developed with the type of shopping you wouldn't like. Hudson is similar, but not as bad and much quainter. Boston Heights would be another place to look. Hudson schools mostly, but much less developed. If you don't mind a slightly rural feel, the Highland School district is excellent. It includes Hinckley, Granger, and Sharon. It's a great area because you are still very close to everything, but not living among it. Also, along those lines, Medina and Wadsworth might be worth considering, but the commute would be a little longer. Medina has a very heavy shopping area in the north end of the city, so you'd want to be in the southern region of the school district (it's a HUGE district). I like Wadsworth the best...I'm a little sorry we moved. I like this area (Medina/Wadsworth) much better than where I grew up in Macedonia. I'm close enough to everything, but it's a small town feel. Hope this helps! Best wishes!

Old 09-10-2007, 07:33 PM

5 posts, read 32,843 times
Welcome to Cleveland, May I suggest my neighborhood which is located in the slavic village area. The name of the area is Goosetown and it borders Cuyahoga Heights. It includes the streets of E.71st, Alice, Rathbun, Deveny, Berdelle, Krakow, Kazimier, Oak, War Hastings, E.73ed, E72ed, and E.68th. I'm sorry it's not located closer to The Cleveland Clinic but the commute is fairly safe and there are public transportation options. To the best of my knowledge, and I've lived here over 50 years, there has never been a homicide in our neighborhood. There is a convienence store run by an Indian named Rocky, a pizza shop, and good employment oppertunities for other current or future family members nearby and in this area. Other crimes are below the severity and frequency of most of the other cleveland areas. It is racially, financially, and otherwise devierse. It also has a playground, nearby parks, library, schools.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 AM

80 posts, read 344,891 times
Default Shaker Heights still has great schools, safe neighborhoods

Hi there, Congratulations on your job with the Cleveland Clinic! I know there's lots of eastside-westside rivalry in the inner-ring suburbs and lots of Clinic people live in Rocky River or Shaker. I still think Shaker is a great place to live and raise a family, my kids have been in Shaker through sixth grade and the elementary schools (especially Onaway and Fernway are awesome) and I also like Woodbury school. Both the Fernway and Malvern neighborhoods (0naway elementary school district) are beautiful, safe and friendly. I think anywhere around the Shaker Country Club and golf course area just can't be beat. I would take a drive around and maybe visit some open houses and school events! Good luck!

Old 09-12-2007, 03:48 PM

17 posts, read 99,097 times
I moved back to the Cleveland area after being in Denver (Park Hill) for 8 years so I can certainly relate. I think Shaker and Cleveland Heights are good bets. If you are a city person (as I am) I think you'll find Solon and the other suburbs, while really nice and great schools a little too vanilla and bland for your taste. Hudson is a really cute town, but has a reputation for prentension.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:23 AM

570 posts, read 1,820,859 times
I agree with chartbury. Shaker Heights has an excellent school district and is very family oriented. I've walked around plenty of side steets off Van Aken and sometimes I see families sitting on their lawns with their kids conversing with each other and the kids playing together. Shaker is relatively safe as long as you stay north of Chagrin BLVD, I avoid any area south of Chagrin BLVD unless I am driving. The only exception is the area around Lomond Elementary, that area is very nice. Cleveland Heights is a nice suburb with an urban feel especially around Coventry. Just don't look for anything in Cleveland Heights that borders East Cleveland.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:43 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,207,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louislinus View Post
I moved back to the Cleveland area after being in Denver (Park Hill) for 8 years so I can certainly relate. I think Shaker and Cleveland Heights are good bets. If you are a city person (as I am) I think you'll find Solon and the other suburbs, while really nice and great schools a little too vanilla and bland for your taste. Hudson is a really cute town, but has a reputation for prentension.
May I ask you what you think about Denver vs. Cleveland area (or even NE OH for that matter), now that you've lived in both places? I'm asking because we've been looking at CO for a while now, looking to possibly relocate. We've in our mid 40's, husband is pharmacist, I'm accountant, but work from home in my own business (not accounting). Reasons for moving are as follows: (1) better economy (two oldest sons will be graduating college soon - one education (chemistry/biology) post-secondary teacher, second one Spanish. Younger five children (K-9th grade) attend Catholic schools. (2) Better weather - more sun - SAD is affecting me every winter; basically after turning 40. (3) Want to live in a fitter area where there are things to do outside most of the year.

Would you mind sharing your experiences in Denver? May I ask why you moved back? Family? We lived in S.CA in the early 80's before we had children. We moved back to NE OH in order to have our future children live near family and grandparents. It is now 23+ years later.

I'd love to hear from you (as well as the original poster, as well as anyone else), about living in Denver. Thank you kindly.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:45 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,207,280 times
To original poster: I'm really sorry that you're giving up a place that you really seem to enjoy living. I really hope that it all works out for you. I know that it's hard when there is family in a particular area for either spouse; it is normal and natural to want to be around them (for some people - LOL! Anyways, I hope that things work out for you when you do relocate. I agree with the locations that have already been mentioned. I wish you all the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland