Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 12,727 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to cleveland in August. I'm 34 and looking for an active, safe, community close to the Cleveland VA. I would like to live close, maybe downtown. I'd prefer not to commute far to work. I dont have children and love sports, outdoor activity, nightlife, and downtown life. However, I'm not sure if downtown is safe. I'm looking to rent for around $650-$700.

thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 09:19 PM

191 posts, read 442,874 times
Downtown is safe except for a few sketchy areas. You probably don't want to live in the Reserve Square area as that area has had its fair share of problems (E. 12th), but the Warehouse District (W. 6th-W9th) and East 4th (E. 4th) street entertainment areas are very safe. Unfortunately, East 4th street is at 100% capacity right now so you're going to have a hard time finding a place but they are just finishing some more units so more will come on the market soon. East 4th Street is also right next to Quicken Loans Arena and Progressive Field. Here is the website for more info East Fourth Neighborhood - Cleveland, OH
You may also like the Warehouse District which also has a large residential base. The district is full of many different restaurants and clubs. Historic Warehouse District: District Life (http://www.warehousedistrict.org/district/living/default.asp - broken link)
As far as non-downtown neighborhoods you might like are Little Italy in Cleveland and Coventry and Cedar-Fairmount in Cleveland Heights. You may also want to check out residences in University Circle. In my opinion, University Circle is the next up and coming residential neighborhood in the city with all its job growth. Developers are currently building more residences but one place I do know of The Triangle Apartments, The Triangle - Cleveland, OH | Associated Estates Realty Corporation. This building is actually on the border of Little Italy and University Circle so might be worth checking out. You should also find out if you qualify for the Greater Circle Living Program that has various discounts if you live and work in University Circle. You can find out more here. Find a home in University Circle (http://www.universitycircle.org/live.aspx - broken link)
Hope that helps. There's a lot more that could be said about each of these neighborhoods so feel free to ask anymore questions that you may have.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 12,727 times
Thanks for the help, so are you saying that the reserve square apartments are a no go? Not safe, it seemed like a great place to live from someone who lives in Dallas

Old 03-13-2009, 08:48 PM

191 posts, read 442,874 times
The problem with Reserve Square is that there isn't a lot going on in that area after work, so walking around may be somewhat risky. However, with the creation of the Avenue District and more residents moving in everyday it may become better. I would recommend the Avenue District but most of the units are condos or townhomes that are very expensive. East 4th and the Warehouse District are active areas where you will feel safe at all times of the day. If you do live in Reserve Square then you are probably going to find yourself driving to and from wherever you are going that night. But like I said I'm expecting the neighborhood to really improve with the finishing up of the Avenue District. Honestly though, if I were in your situation I would go with the Warehouse District. Their apartments seem to be in the range you are looking for and its around all the city's nightlife and food scene which I think you will enjoy.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:46 PM

5 posts, read 15,625 times
Check out the Lakewood area. There are many places to rent out there for very cheap and is much safer than living downtown. It also has a "college" type bar scene. Good luck with your new found job. Hopefully you can help clean up that dirty place they call VA Hospital.

I see you are moving from Dallas? I actually found this website doing research for a possible move to Dallas/ Fort Worth area.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:43 AM

51 posts, read 114,995 times
Your leaving Dallas for Cleveland. I am from Irving TX and I love Dallas/ft worth and most people from up this area are moving south.

I hear the flats and downtown are dieing is that true.
Can anybody let me know.

What is Garfield Hgts like used live there when I was 15 years old. I hear lot of the suburbs are not doing that good near Garfield heights. Just Wondering.

Michael75065 from Painesville Township

Old 04-17-2009, 05:50 AM

51 posts, read 114,995 times
whyb are you moving just wondering. I like Irving, Bedford , Hurst and Euless and Coppell and Grapvine areas in my opinion. I got transfered up here.

Michael75065 From Painesville Township
I miss it down there also like Denver CO.
Cleveland could be much better. It's more like Detroit.
To much politics and blights and lousy leaders and taxes.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:39 PM

11 posts, read 36,187 times
Wow, except that I am 33 not 34 your original post could have been my own! I too am moving in late August to work for the VA. I will be stuck in Brecksville tho initially until we all move up to Wade Park. I am looking for a place closer to Wade Park so I don't have to relocate after Brecksville closes!

Old 06-02-2009, 09:56 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,291,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael75065 View Post
Your leaving Dallas for Cleveland. I am from Irving TX and I love Dallas/ft worth and most people from up this area are moving south.

I hear the flats and downtown are dieing is that true.
Can anybody let me know.

What is Garfield Hgts like used live there when I was 15 years old. I hear lot of the suburbs are not doing that good near Garfield heights. Just Wondering.

Michael75065 from Painesville Township
Michael, Downtown has been increasing in population about 10% a year. Have some basic knowledge of Cleveland before you through out these blind statements.

In regards to the flats, It is true the East Bank of the Flats are knocked over, still waiting on Wolstein to move forward to rebuilld his big $$ project. West bank is doing just fine.

Sorry, Just had to say something....
------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the topic on helping civilize3!

For working at the VA, I'd look into:

Shaker Square
Little Italy (have to drive around and look for "For Rent" signs)
Downtown
Coventry (Cleveland Hts)
Cedar/Fairmount (Cleveland Hts)
University Circle...Triangles Apts, etc

My brother has lived in Reserve Square for 2 years, and has had no problems. He likes it there and and is renewing his lease again.

You'd probably have to spend closer to $800 a/month nowadays for something good downtown. But if you have any questions, I know a lot about downtown. Just ask.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland