Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 01:45 PM

61 posts, read 234,300 times

Advertisements

Cleveland Clinic is Cleveland's only redeeming feature. And even they want to get out! Have you heard the news? They want to drop their association with CWRU to partner with Columbia University. I wonder why that is? Cleveland's hometown school isn't good enough? Surprise surprise.

For anyone considering moving here, besides subjective (I suppose) things like crime and weather -

I never heard of this rumour befor about "Cleveland Clinic" wanting to relocate, where would one find such information? or is this just one of the many negative comments coming from a clueless person.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:49 PM

61 posts, read 254,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHISPERGIRL View Post
Cleveland Clinic is Cleveland's only redeeming feature. And even they want to get out! Have you heard the news? They want to drop their association with CWRU to partner with Columbia University. I wonder why that is? Cleveland's hometown school isn't good enough? Surprise surprise.

For anyone considering moving here, besides subjective (I suppose) things like crime and weather -

I never heard of this rumour befor about "Cleveland Clinic" wanting to relocate, where would one find such information? or is this just one of the many negative comments coming from a clueless person.

No actually, I work at the CWRU dental school, and the article explaining my comments was in our daily bulletin, as well as the Plain Dealer. So no, I am not clueless, but actually quite close to the information at hand.

Before people get the wrong idea, CCF would NOT be physically moving. They just want to drop their association with Case (shared medical school, shared funding for research, close ties in other area) and join with Columbia - thus leading to more CCF facilities near Columbia.

In defense of my prior comments, I have lived in many metro areas around the country (DC, Denver, SLC, NYC, Cleveland) - and nothing has ever struck me as being so crime-riddled, poor, and stagnant as Cleveland. People that defend Cleveland are usually from here, so I can understand wanting to defend where you grew up. But, as an outsider, it's terrible.

You know what happens to the people trying to defend Cleveland and make it better, so they move into Hough hoping to "develop" the neighborhood? They get every item in their house stolen, including the copper piping.

It happened to a professor I work with.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:36 PM

61 posts, read 234,300 times
@ ICNVA well unfortunately this article/video will diminish your agenda-go to the plain dealer where cleveland clinic CEO TOBY COSGROVE discusses the hospitals role in Cleveland's future and it's potential global growth....NUF SAID!!!!!!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:39 AM

61 posts, read 254,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHISPERGIRL View Post
@ ICNVA well unfortunately this article/video will diminish your agenda-go to the plain dealer where cleveland clinic CEO TOBY COSGROVE discusses the hospitals role in Cleveland's future and it's potential global growth....NUF SAID!!!!!!

Well, I'm not going to argue with someone who depends on the PD for news. All I'm saying is, I'm involved with CWRU and CCF and the president of CWRU sent out a memo to faculty explaining what was going on. Then each college had a staff meeting with her, discussing it. So that's all I have to say. I could care less, seeing as how I have no vested interest in Cleveland other than to get people not to come to school here as it's overpriced and not that great.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:03 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
To all those that cannot get enough thumps in on how bad Cleveland is, get out. You make me sick. I've lived in cities all of my life and have grown tired of hearing from misplaced suburbanites how disgusting (fill in the blank with the appropriate city) is. Fine, if you want to live in a sterile McMansion with a couple of sticks called trees, in a gated community (protecting you from your "phobias"), down the traffic choked road from the strip center containing an Applebees and a WalMart, go for it. But the rest of us will enjoy what cities have to offer....civilization. And you can take your inaccurate negative points of view with you.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,432 times
We may be moving back "home" to CLE. I grew up there and left after college. My husband has a fantastic job relocation opportunity in CLE. So we are also considering moving back from Colorado. Our families are back there so raising our kids near relatives would be nice. I would miss all the outdoor activites... but I believe if you are motivated and active you can find it in Ohio...any suggestions. I love Ohio especially CLE and miss being near family. I heard a friend say "90% of what you do in your life you would do it anywhere...you just do and make it happen."

Old 11-01-2007, 01:55 PM

4 posts, read 18,180 times
I have been here for a month and all has been great. And you are right about it all being what you make of it. It feels nice to be back

Old 11-01-2007, 10:24 PM

9 posts, read 46,991 times
Colokid

I sent you a direct message some time ago. Thought you might find it interesting. Just wondered if you ever received it.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:56 PM

5 posts, read 26,500 times
If you don't mind the morning commute I would have to say Mentor is one of the best places to raise a family. Concord, Concord Twp. or even Painseville Twp. is great. It is a wonderful area and Mentor has excellent public schools, it is a very safe area aswell. I grew up in Mentor and currently live in Concord Twp.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:52 PM

5 posts, read 27,343 times
To Icinva and colokid:

First, the Cleveland Clinic's discussions with Columbia University do not have anything to do with the city of Cleveland, directly. CCF is obviously exploring options to increase profits and to expand operations. CWRU likely does not provide the level of profit/recognition that CCF is looking for because: 1. It is a University in a city where CCF already exists and prospers; therefore, CCF has nowhere to expand operations; and, 2. CWRU's main affiliation is, and has been, with University Hospital.

As far as the crime/taxes conversation: you must be so pissed about these taxes that you have become blind to all the good things about the Cleveland area. Yes, some cities do have high taxes, and it doesn't seem fair to have to pay city income tax in a city you live in, but don't work in. Isn't that what property taxes are supposed to be for? So you've made your point. But the Cleveland suburbs are generally low-crime, and yes, the higher crime areas do and will continue to retain the criminals. Most murders are a result of inner-city minds, living by the "if you want it, take it" attitude. It's unfortunate, but that seems to be the attitude of those who live in the bad areas and have no aspirations of a better life. These people stay where they are comfortable. Does that make sense?

Now, to the original post: If you didn't like it before, you probably won't like it now, either. I've never been to Denver, so I don't know what you like about it so much, except for the urban vs. suburbs topic. I'm a 'burbs guy, myself, but can appreciate the atmosphere that urban areas have to offer. That being said, Cleveland Heights has good and bad areas, colleges, trendy bars and restaurants; probably just what you're looking for. I'm not sure exactly where the school district stacks up, but I've met quite a few people who graduated from Cleveland Heights HS, none of whom came across as uneducated or ghetto. Try the Coventry/Cedar or University Circle (Case) area. Avoid the Noble Rd. area. University Heights is also a nice neighborhood. $175,000 to $250,000 will get you a quality home in the safer portion of any of these areas.

Last edited by biglebronski; 12-16-2007 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: spelling correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland