Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 02:31 PM

62 posts, read 93,869 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,I've been an avid reader of this forum and have found it to be pretty useful.So I thought I'd try my luck and ask something of mine too.Actually I'm coming to Cleveland this summer to join the Cleveland state university.I'm from an Asian country and it's gonna be my first rme in Cleveland or in the USA for that matter.While doing some research on the city I read that people generally tend to dislike it and that hasmade me wonder if I chose the wrong city.As Cleveland natives I was wondering if you could tell me if Cleveland is a good place with things to do.My parents will be coming too and so I wanted to know if there good places to shop and roam around in.Also,is CSU a good university ? Would you recommend it? I'm joining it's business school.A few opinions on housing would be appreciated too,thank you,I hope I don't ask for too much.Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 04:18 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
Hey and welcome to Cleveland!

Cleveland is GREAT in the summer, including tons of festivals.

Cleveland State is getting better and better every year... I think they've invested around $500 millon into the University since 2007. FYI there is also an Asian community nearby known as Asiatown. The people there are mostly Vietnamese, Cambodian, Chinese, and Korean.

If you have any questions, let us know. I think if you pick the right place to live, you'll enjoy your time in our fair city.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:53 PM

74 posts, read 223,873 times
There is a lot to do in Cleveland. Usually the people that dislike the city don't ever get out and do anything. Some very nice, and very walkable neighborhoods with many shops, restaraunts, bars, etc.

I graduated from CSU business in 2006 and I'm very happy I went there! I think you made a great decision.

Are you going to have a car here?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.I want to make a good first impression for my mum and dad and the real worry is them only although they're gonna leave in a two weeks or so.I've seen a lot of videos and read alot of articles suggesting Cleveland is on the rise.Which area would you recommend ? I'm not going to have a car for the first few months I reckon.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:47 PM

19 posts, read 39,713 times
There is no shortage of things to do in Cleveland, I don't know why people perpetuate the myth that Cleveland is devoid of anything fun and interesting, when it is exactly the opposite. Plenty of stores, any kind of stores you could ever want. Museums of every sort. Clubs, restaurants, and bars galore. Nice parks. I think you will find it very nice, just don't let the "Negative Nancies" ruin it for you, Cleveland also has plenty of those!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:57 PM

73 posts, read 171,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerr91 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.I want to make a good first impression for my mum and dad and the real worry is them only although they're gonna leave in a two weeks or so.I've seen a lot of videos and read alot of articles suggesting Cleveland is on the rise.Which area would you recommend ? I'm not going to have a car for the first few months I reckon.
Don't come to any conclusions in life based on what you see online!

Kidding aside, I realize forums like this can help you learn about a place especially if you don't have a chance to visit first. I don't know what country in Asia you're moving from, but Cleveland State is diverse and in particular has a large and growing group of students from India.

There are apartments very close to the school and more are being built. CSU is also on a bus rapid transit line that connects it to downtown to the west and Midtown and University Circle to the east. From either downtown or UC you can connect to one of the rapid (train) lines and multiple bus routes, so you'll have options as far as public transit goes.

Cleveland has so much to do and offer: great bars and restaurants, museums, parks, Lake Erie, sports, etc. Not sure what climate you're coming from, but you're going to experience four distinct seasons that each have their own pluses (even winter - the smart people here embrace it!). Fall in particular with the changing leaves is amazing.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 AM

That's good to hear.From what I've read it seems people want to bash the city just because they want to.In my view it's a pretty good city which is getting better.What areas would you recommend for me ? I'm looking for an apartment as my twin brother will be coming too.Just a safe area with rent around 600 $ a month max.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:26 AM

19 posts, read 39,713 times
There are a lot of decent apartments in Lakewood and the Cleveland Edgewater area, you should be able to find a 2 bedroom in that ballpark. The bonus is that Lakewood is chock full of fun things to do. If you snag an apartment along Clifton there is a bus route right outside your door.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:29 AM

Are those areas close to CSU ? And are they safe ?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
They are very safe, and while I wouldn't call them "close" to CSU, they aren't very far. I hate long commutes and I would gladly do Lakewood to CSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland