Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are emerging as world cities?
Dallas-Forth Worth 19 6.31%
Las Vegas 8 2.66%
Houston 63 20.93%
Miami 45 14.95%
Phoenix 7 2.33%
Twin Cities 13 4.32%
Boston 26 8.64%
Philidelphia 34 11.30%
Atlanta 86 28.57%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:00 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Maybe I just have a bit of a different opinion on what a truly "world class" city is, but this thread is...ummm... Yeah, way off in my opinion. Some of these are even more laughable than the list as a whole, Vegas? Phoenix? Twin Cities? Nvm...I'll be listing all of them.

It's not snobby in my opinion, but NYC is the only "world class" city in the US. "World class" is truly special for me and the only cities I see in it are NYC, London, Paris, and Tokyo. That isn't to say all of the cities on the poll aren't nice with a whole lot of positives, but "world class," come on now... Maybe this just heads to the tier discussion in my mind.
Then why is Los Angeles California number (3) Three in the "World In GDP" right behind (1) Tokyo (2) NYC....? and it's not considered a World City By You....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 02:04 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Maybe I just have a bit of a different opinion on what a truly "world class" city is, but this thread is...ummm... Yeah, way off in my opinion. Some of these are even more laughable than the list as a whole, Vegas? Phoenix? Twin Cities? Nvm...I'll be listing all of them.

It's not snobby in my opinion, but NYC is the only "world class" city in the US. "World class" is truly special for me and the only cities I see in it are NYC, London, Paris, and Tokyo. That isn't to say all of the cities on the poll aren't nice with a whole lot of positives, but "world class," come on now... Maybe this just heads to the tier discussion in my mind.
I think Buenos Aires is very much "world class" and I would put it up along with -- or right behind - the top 4. It has everything that the top 4 have, and most of it better and cheaper.

I haven't traveled enough in Asia so I don't know if Hong Kong, Seoul, Shanghai etc deserve to be in the conversation. But I agree that no city in the US (other than NYC) even comes close to that level.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:52 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Then why is Los Angeles California number (3) Three in the "World In GDP" right behind (1) Tokyo (2) NYC....? and it's not considered a World City By You....?
Maybe because GDP isn't the only qualifier I'm using... Maybe I was a bit too off-putting in my earlier post, I was in a rather crass mood last night which I'm sorry for so I'll start again.

I only consider a few cities to be "world class" as to me it symbolizes the best that the world has to offer. They are the top tier cities of the world that other cities can look to as a guide or as something to strive to be like. This doesn't mean the other cities are bad, and I love LA, but do you really think it's on the same level as the 4 cities I mentioned when viewing the city as a whole and not just a single economic indicator? LA is certainly very high, but I don't hold it in the same stature as the other 4.

I guess the main difference is the term means something different to me. The cities are "global" in the sense that they contribute to the world in varying degrees, but this would also require at lot of tiers to rank as most larger metro areas do.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:52 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Maybe because GDP isn't the only qualifier I'm using... Maybe I was a bit too off-putting in my earlier post, I was in a rather crass mood last night which I'm sorry for so I'll start again.

I only consider a few cities to be "world class" as to me it symbolizes the best that the world has to offer. They are the top tier cities of the world that other cities can look to as a guide or as something to strive to be like. This doesn't mean the other cities are bad, and I love LA, but do you really think it's on the same level as the 4 cities I mentioned when viewing the city as a whole and not just a single economic indicator? LA is certainly very high, but I don't hold it in the same stature as the other 4.

I guess the main difference is the term means something different to me. The cities are "global" in the sense that they contribute to the world in varying degrees, but this would also require at lot of tiers to rank as most larger metro areas do.
But keep in mine LA is Hollywood, Hollywood drastically influence the World for over a century, Some people perception of America is base off Hollywood. Other cities film industries are name after Hollywood like Bollywood and Nollywood which are ironically the 2nd and 3rd largest cinemas markets in the world. And it's not just film it's global pop culture in general. With saying that the Metro region is over 10 million, it's extreamly diverse, and it's GDP is among the largest in the World. It's top 5 in fashion, shopping and etc. I'm not saying it's 4 but LA is top 10.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:04 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
I miss LA. Got to visit again soon.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
But keep in mine LA is Hollywood, Hollywood drastically influence the World for over a century, Some people perception of America is base off Hollywood. Other cities film industries are name after Hollywood like Bollywood and Nollywood which are ironically the 2nd and 3rd largest cinemas markets in the world. And it's not just film it's global pop culture in general. With saying that the Metro region is over 10 million, it's extreamly diverse, and it's GDP is among the largest in the World. It's top 5 in fashion, shopping and etc. I'm not saying it's 4 but LA is top 10.

This post is making me homesick.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:15 PM

460 posts, read 981,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Sorry, but San Francisco is definately on tier with Washington DC, to say it isn't makes this a homer comment in the biggest way.

Political stability- Please elaborate?
GDP and economic indicators- The San Francisco Bay Area wipes the floor with the DC area
Cultural attractions and entertainment- I'd say both offer entertainment and attractions that bring tourists from all over the world.
Population- Bay Area has 7.5 million
Influential people- thats debatable. Washington for politicians and San Francisco for business intellectuals.
Interesting you say that because I live and work in the San Francisco city proper. Wouldn't I be biased in favor of SF? This city has a homeless problem and affordable housing problem that keeps it from the top tier anyway.

GDP and economic indicators: Fairfax County and Loudoun County are two of the wealthiest large counties in the US. There are also counties in Maryland in the Washington DC area that are super affluent with a high caliber of human capital.

Cultural/entertainment: SF wins hands down.

Population: Look at metro populations to get apple-to-apple comparison. DC wins.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-20-2012, 10:36 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:

London and Paris "Look Up To LA" when it comes to GDP , but I see what you mean and completely understand your position. Los Angeles doesn't have the same class and style as a Paris or London NYC or Tokyo ,point well taken "but Los Angeles" still is a breast just by way of its financial muscle.Steps are being made to improve the other area's that LA is lacking in.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:47 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Los Angeles need not be on the list. It IS clearly a world city. It has been for decades. I think that there is sometimes a dismissive attitude toward Los Angeles because, for being so important, it can also be self-mocking and frivolous. That's what makes it so enigmatic. Also, a lot of people who go to college there don't want to go back to wherever they came from. With weather like that, can you blame them? NYC, London and Paris can respectfully keep their class. I'd take LA's "la dolce vita."

Old 04-21-2012, 02:45 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
Interesting you say that because I live and work in the San Francisco city proper. Wouldn't I be biased in favor of SF? This city has a homeless problem and affordable housing problem that keeps it from the top tier anyway.

GDP and economic indicators: Fairfax County and Loudoun County are two of the wealthiest large counties in the US. There are also counties in Maryland in the Washington DC area that are super affluent with a high caliber of human capital.

Cultural/entertainment: SF wins hands down.

Population: Look at metro populations to get apple-to-apple comparison. DC wins.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The real estate prices in Inner New York (Manhattan) is every bit as expensive as San Francisco proper. I think every city has it's share of homeless. City population isn't a good way to determine a world city. If that's the case, Houston is more of a world city than San Francisco because of cheaper real estate prices and a city population that has more than double the amount of inhabitants. Both DC and SF are Alpha cities and both have been ranked 4th and 5th depending on who is doing the study and when it was conducted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City