Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are emerging as world cities?
Dallas-Forth Worth 19 6.31%
Las Vegas 8 2.66%
Houston 63 20.93%
Miami 45 14.95%
Phoenix 7 2.33%
Twin Cities 13 4.32%
Boston 26 8.64%
Philidelphia 34 11.30%
Atlanta 86 28.57%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:11 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Not to say that nyc doesn't have a big gap on LA but why the big gap comment when only 4 cities separating? Then you group the last 5 together when there's a huuuuuuge gap between SF and mia 18-36, going by this mia, houston and atl are 4th tier cities by a long shot
The cities inbetween don't matter. The ranking is obviously weighted and NY stands alone with over 6 points.

There is no US city with 5 points, none with 4 points. so there is indeed a big gap.

Try and see if you can make out what the numbers and symbols mean at the end of each tier on my list.

You can argue with the ranking all you want, but that is just your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
Boston is already a global city and there are lots of studies like this one to support that. Although Philly is a big northeastern city, it is not close to Boston, DC, or NYC on the world stage.
Clearly Philly does not have the global penetration of cities like NYC or DC, and I'd also definitely give Boston an edge -- but that is just one report.

This recent report by The Economist, for example, ranks Philadelphia 30th in "Global Competitiveness," ahead of cities like Houston and Atlanta:

http://www.managementthinking.eiu.co...ot%20Spots.pdf

Another interesting ranking focuses on an "innovation index," which ranks Philly as a "nexus" city at 33 -- even ahead of cities such as Chicago and Washington, DC:

Media Release: Top 100 city rankings for the innovation economy: 2thinknow Innovation Cities Top 100 Index » Innovation Cities Index & Program – City data training events from 2THINKNOW for USA Canada America Europe Asia Mid-East Australia

This often-cited GaWC report places Philadelphia in the "Alphia -" category, along with Boston, Atlanta and Dallas:

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2010

So, overall, you have to consider all of these "global ranking" reports/studies comprehensively, because there will always be differing methodologies and focuses with every study.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Clearly Philly does not have the global penetration of cities like NYC or DC, and I'd also definitely give Boston an edge -- but that is just one report.

This recent report by The Economist, for example, ranks Philadelphia 30th in "Global Competitiveness," ahead of cities like Houston and Atlanta:

http://www.managementthinking.eiu.co...ot%20Spots.pdf
caught you in a fib right there.

Philly is at 30 as you said, but Houston is at 23.

Philly is ahead of ATL in that one though. ATL was 31.

Quote:
Another interesting ranking focuses on an "innovation index," which ranks Philly as a "nexus" city at 33 -- even ahead of cities such as Chicago and Washington, DC:

Media Release: Top 100 city rankings for the innovation economy: 2thinknow Innovation Cities Top 100 Index » Innovation Cities Index & Program – City data training events from 2THINKNOW for USA Canada America Europe Asia Mid-East Australia
Again you are telling some misrepresentations with the exact same numbers.

Philly is at 30 like you said, but DC is at 23, ahead of Philly.

Quote:
So, overall, you have to consider all of these "global ranking" reports/studies comprehensively, because there will always be differing methodologies and focuses with every study.
I do agree though, you have to look at these things as a whole. Some places do well in some areas but can't be expected to place the same in all areas.

Last edited by HtownLove; 04-13-2012 at 11:15 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 11:03 AM

704 posts, read 1,792,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I don't think I saw it mentioned, so I will throw it out there... I think Denver is a strong up and comer. Wikipedia has it as a Beta- world city with Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis. Seems to me it should be in Beta with Minneapolis and Seattle.
Seattle and Minneapolis have much larger populations, less isolation, more culture, and I'd guess that they also have much more commercial activity. Denver is the 19th or 21st largest media market in the country--that might make it one of the up and coming cities in the country, but it is nowhere close to a "world city." People thought Denver was an emerging world city a hundred years ago, and it continues to disappoint those same people. On the other hand, places like Dallas and Seattle are already there.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
caught you in a fib right there.

Philly is at 30 as you said, but Houston is at 23.

Again you are telling some misrepresentations with the exact same numbers.

Philly is at 30 like you said, but DC is at 23, ahead of Philly.
Honestly, that was not intentional. For some strange reason, I overlooked Houston on The Economist ranking -- sorry about that.

In terms of the Innovation Index, I was referring to the most recent 2011 numbers, which do indeed rank Philadelphia just ahead of both Chicago and Washington:

Innovation Cities Index & Program – City data training events from 2THINKNOW for USA Canada America Europe Asia Mid-East Australia

Old 04-14-2012, 05:15 AM

9 posts, read 12,077 times
Philly is on the decline so it's not an emerging anything, but I do believe center city will turn things around for the whole city and it will once again become the second city of the northeast instead of it's current place as 4th after NYC, DC, and Boston

Old 04-14-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfool View Post
Philly is on the decline so it's not an emerging anything, but I do believe center city will turn things around for the whole city and it will once again become the second city of the northeast instead of it's current place as 4th after NYC, DC, and Boston
Sorry, but recent statistics contradict that statement. Certainly parts of the city are not doing as well as others, but notion of "decline" is very much outdated.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:10 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Seattle and Minneapolis have much larger populations, less isolation, more culture, and I'd guess that they also have much more commercial activity. Denver is the 19th or 21st largest media market in the country--that might make it one of the up and coming cities in the country, but it is nowhere close to a "world city." People thought Denver was an emerging world city a hundred years ago, and it continues to disappoint those same people. On the other hand, places like Dallas and Seattle are already there.
Denver has ~220k more people than Minneapolis. The list of world cities doesn't list "Minneapolis-St. Paul", it lists "Minneapolis".

Seattle beats Denver by about 8k...

Population really doesn't matter anyway as I am referencing the list on wikipedia which doesn't have a ton to do with population, plenty of cities out-rank cities with larger populations. If you want to try the metro pop. angle, that is fine... I know their metros beat Denver's by about a mil, but Denver is the most populous city in the Front Range Urban Corridor, the population of the Front Range Urban Corridor was estimated to be 4,328,406 in 2009... So I am sure that counts for something. Still, I really don't see why pop. matters.

I would say Denver beats both cities on professional sports, but I am not trying to make this a competition anyway... I was just noting that Denver seemed to belong more with Seattle and Minneapolis than Cleveland or Detroit.

Edit to add: I just looked it up, and on that particular list Seattle, Minneapolis, and Denver are all considerably ahead of Phoenix and San Jose, which both have much higher populations.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:36 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
San Antonio before Austin?
Sure Austin is a nice town, San Antonio is a city

Old 04-14-2012, 05:38 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Honestly, that was not intentional. For some strange reason, I overlooked Houston on The Economist ranking -- sorry about that.

In terms of the Innovation Index, I was referring to the most recent 2011 numbers, which do indeed rank Philadelphia just ahead of both Chicago and Washington:

Innovation Cities Index & Program – City data training events from 2THINKNOW for USA Canada America Europe Asia Mid-East Australia
Dont worry about forgetting about Houston it happens all the time.. and will until it zooms by the bi coastals fav cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City