Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the fastest growing skyline?
Jacksonville Florida 0 0%
Charlotte North Carolina 16 14.16%
Memphis Tennessee 3 2.65%
Nashvillea Tennessee 4 3.54%
Louisvillea Kentucky 1 0.88%
Atlanta Georgia 34 30.09%
Virginia Beach Virginia 1 0.88%
Miami Florida 52 46.02%
Raleigh North Carolina 2 1.77%
Tampa Florida 0 0%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:21 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Jacksonville's skyline is pretty good, but to place it above Buffalo, Birmingham, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Louisville, and Richmond I think it is a stretch. But you could have a sound argument.
Buffalo? Yes. But the rest of the cities you said I agree are equally as good, if not better then Jax skyline.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:24 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,303,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Buffalo? Yes. But the rest of the cities you said I agree are equally as good, if not better then Jax skyline.
Buffalo's density is pretty impecable. But you could be right. It really depends on who is looking.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:44 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You're not doing a very good job representing Houston nor Texas right now. Just stick to the topic at hand. All the other stuff you have mentioned is irrelevant including if the buildings are empty or not. We are talking about skylines, not what's your personal hated or favorite city.
Exactly

Which is why I mentioned Austin, Dallas, & Houston in the first place. Why aren't they on the list too & those others are? Austin is surely up there with Miami in new tower construction within the past decade. Its skyline has transformed DRASTICALLY.

Dallas' Uptown the same thing.

Houston, newly built skyscrapers all over the city not just its DT.

After all, the title of this thread is fastest growing skylines in the South & for some strange reason Texas was left out completely.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:52 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,862 times
Maybe Because OP does not include Texas as a part of the South

Old 04-01-2010, 03:02 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Exactly

Which is why I mentioned Austin, Dallas, & Houston in the first place. Why aren't they on the list too & those others are? Austin is surely up there with Miami in new tower construction within the past decade. Its skyline has transformed DRASTICALLY.

After all, the title of this thread is fastest growing skylines in the South & for some strange reason Texas was left out completely.
What does that have to do with your personal taste of Miami, or the negatives of the city that you mentioned, not associated with the title of the thread? All you needed to say in the 1st place was "Why isn't Austin on the list", not go on a tangent on the City Of Miami.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:26 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,875,751 times
The OP mentioned in a later response that he left Texas cities out because he considered it a different region... which I agree with. Also, because it generally brings up these very arguments (Texas/South).

Old 04-01-2010, 05:03 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Exactly

Really, there is only one city that should win this poll even if you did include Texas and that's Miami. While Austin's skyline has dramatically changed, it's relative. Because in numbers, Miami has built more scrapers than Austin HAS scrapers. But the OP left out the Texas cities for a reason and this thread proves it.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:52 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Really, there is only one city that should win this poll even if you did include Texas and that's Miami. While Austin's skyline has dramatically changed, it's relative. Because in numbers, Miami has built more scrapers than Austin HAS scrapers. But the OP left out the Texas cities for a reason and this thread proves it.
True. You throw Texas in the mix and this forum would've turned into hell.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:42 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Jacksonville's skyline is pretty good, but to place it above Buffalo, Birmingham, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Louisville, and Richmond I think it is a stretch. But you could have a sound argument.
I would place Jacksonville's skyline above Buffalo, Birmingham, Richmond* and Louisville*.

OKC's skyline will be better once Devon Tower is built, and New Orleans is better than Jacksonville's

Heres how I have them ranked, imo.

1. NOLA

New Orleans Skyline, New Orleans, Louisiana (LA) on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobindrums/3543667341/ - broken link)

More:
New Orleans' skyline and the Crescent City Connetion on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ncb641/356170116/ - broken link)

2. OKC(#3, right now, after Devon will be #2)

Oklahoma City Skyline on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sergemelki/2535942192/ - broken link)
More:
Oklahoma City skyline on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/veramann/277878553/ - broken link)
3. JAX(#2 right now, after Devon in OKC, will drop to #3)

Jacksonville Skyline on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/31220278@N05/3858546033/ - broken link)
More:
Jacksonville, Florida photos on Fotopedia - The Photo Encyclopedia

4. Louisville

5. Richmond

Old 04-01-2010, 08:16 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,159 times
I'm not saying Jacksonville's skyline is among the best in the south, I'm saying its among the best in the south FOR ITS SIZE, correct me if I'm wrong, but from all the other comparable metros, only NOLA has taller buildings.

Its not the densest, but it does have good scenery, which just makes the skyline even more appealing to me, even if theres big gaps in it. IMO, thats better than the archaic looks of the shorter, denser skylines that others might think surpass Jacksonville.(with the exception of some, like Louisville) I may be in the minority, but thats just my opinion after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City