Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A city that holds infinite promise?
Columbus 77 52.38%
Charlotte 70 47.62%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:40 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
It's looking good down here in Crown Town. Our financial services is expanding with a mortgage company set to hire 50 new employees in the next 2 quarters.
That's great news for Charlotte! A gradual recovery is good news in most any city these days ...

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 09-10-2010 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 11:39 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
That's great news for Charlotte! A gradual recovery is good news in most any city these days ...
Our airport won the award for best airport from some organization. It increased capacity in a time where many airports reduced capacity. I'll have to find the link with that info.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:00 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Our airport won the award for best airport from some organization. It increased capacity in a time where many airports reduced capacity. I'll have to find the link with that info.
Charlotte Douglas Int'l is one of this countries cleanest and most impressive airports that I've ever seen. I especially enjoy those big "Rocker Chairs" they have in several of the terminal areas.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:52 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Charlotte Douglas Int'l is one of this countries cleanest and most impressive airports that I've ever seen. I especially enjoy those big "Rocker Chairs" they have in several of the terminal areas.
That's how we do it down South. If only there was a porch...

Old 09-15-2013, 06:34 PM

413 posts, read 437,547 times
I like Columbus in the midwest its bucking a trend and making positive moves but I'm going with Charlotte I think it potential is massive and even in still somewhat of a recovery faze its growing faster then many other places even some booming ones.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:20 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXboi View Post
I like Columbus in the midwest its bucking a trend and making positive moves but I'm going with Charlotte I think it potential is massive and even in still somewhat of a recovery faze its growing faster then many other places even some booming ones.
The problem is that the rates of growth are unsustainable. You will not continue to see 30%+ per decade indefinitely, especially not with unemployment rates consistently around 9% and over for years now or with a state government that is directly making the state less attractive as a place to relocate to. Or with rising cost of living, etc. It's not as if NC and its cities are the only choices in the Sun Belt or other regions.

I've said it before, but the only real difference between Columbus and Charlotte to explain the difference in growth rates is location. Had Columbus been located in the South, it would have seen growth just as fast as Austin or Charlotte. That it's in Ohio with its negative, Rust Belt perception (even though it is increasingly an inaccurate reputation) has had limitations. Columbus has been one of the fastest growing metros in the Midwest/Northeast for a reason, but it's still relative to where it is.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:51 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The problem is that the rates of growth are unsustainable. You will not continue to see 30%+ per decade indefinitely, especially not with unemployment rates consistently around 9% and over for years now or with a state government that is directly making the state less attractive as a place to relocate to. Or with rising cost of living, etc. It's not as if NC and its cities are the only choices in the Sun Belt or other regions.

I've said it before, but the only real difference between Columbus and Charlotte to explain the difference in growth rates is location. Had Columbus been located in the South, it would have seen growth just as fast as Austin or Charlotte. That it's in Ohio with its negative, Rust Belt perception (even though it is increasingly an inaccurate reputation) has had limitations. Columbus has been one of the fastest growing metros in the Midwest/Northeast for a reason, but it's still relative to where it is.
The unemployment hasn't stopped growth. Even with a higher unemployment number, Charlotte is still growing faster than Columbus. Charlotte really is one of the lucky cities to where unemployment numbers aren't a determining factor when a newcomer/business looks into the city. If it were, I probably wouldn't have moved here from Austin.

The government in NC is very crazy right now, however that definitely isn't making the state "less attractive" for newcomers. NC has two metro areas that have been/are growing very rapidly. According to this: Which Cities Have the Greatest Income-to-Cost Gaps?, Charlotte is one of a few cities with high salaries and a low cost of living. Coincidentally, all four of the cities listed are in the South.

Obviously Charlotte isn't the only hot spot to relocate to in the South; it's not the only hot spot to relocate to. Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, and the Texan cities are all 3.50%+ in terms of growth.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
The unemployment hasn't stopped growth. Even with a higher unemployment number, Charlotte is still growing faster than Columbus. Charlotte really is one of the lucky cities to where unemployment numbers aren't a determining factor when a newcomer/business looks into the city. If it were, I probably wouldn't have moved here from Austin.

The government in NC is very crazy right now, however that definitely isn't making the state "less attractive" for newcomers. NC has two metro areas that have been/are growing very rapidly. According to this: Which Cities Have the Greatest Income-to-Cost Gaps?, Charlotte is one of a few cities with high salaries and a low cost of living. Coincidentally, all four of the cities listed are in the South.

Obviously Charlotte isn't the only hot spot to relocate to in the South; it's not the only hot spot to relocate to. Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, and the Texan cities are all 3.50%+ in terms of growth.
So basically what you're saying is that Charlotte exists in some kind of alternate universe in which economic conditions and government policy plays absolutely no role in growth. This kind of thinking just seems kind of arrogant and flies right in the face of what happened to other regions who thought they were invincible.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:45 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So basically what you're saying is that Charlotte exists in some kind of alternate universe in which economic conditions and government policy plays absolutely no role in growth. This kind of thinking just seems kind of arrogant and flies right in the face of what happened to other regions who thought they were invincible.
Basically. The numbers would agree.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Basically. The numbers would agree.
They certainly do not support what you're suggesting. Charlotte is not some magical wonderland in which something as important as economics doesn't matter. NC and Charlotte are quickly losing the glowing perception they've had for many years. If you don't think that matters, either, you can ask any number of Northern states how important something like that really is, even while their economies have been on par with, or in several cases better than, states that have been seeing high rates of growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City