Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A city that holds infinite promise?
Columbus 77 52.38%
Charlotte 70 47.62%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:52 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,064 times

Advertisements

In a 2008 study by The Milken Istitute, Charlotte ranked 26th overall in the top economic performing cities. Columbus came in at 135. This speaks to how the cities will eventually rank economically when the recession lifts. Yes, Charlotte has a bit higher unemployment rate, but anyone can see the reality that a large part of the workforce is in the financial sector, which happens to be the sector of the economy that was hit the hardest. Banks are already announcing new hiring sweeps. The high growth in population in the Charlotte region also contributes to the unemployment figures. Charlotte has been growing much faster than Columbus also, as it is in the sun belt, where the largest population gains remain.

http://bestcities.milkeninstitute.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 12:06 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Uhhh, not necessarily so, in a perfect world ... maybe. You're insinuating
that I have not viewed a newscast relating to this "recent ranking", because you have not been able to find it on the web, right? I don't
know what to tell you ... "this story was relayed recently" through the
Columbus media. It's a fact, period.
Moving on now ...
No, I'm not insinuating anything because I haven't been able to find it, I'm stating a fact that YOU haven't been able to find it. How much sense does it make that you can find the story from 2002, but you can't find this supposed more recent one? Its because it doesn't exist.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:17 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
No, I'm not insinuating anything because I haven't been able to find it, I'm stating a fact that YOU haven't been able to find it. How much sense does it make that you can find the story from 2002, but you can't find this supposed more recent one? Its because it doesn't exist.
Note to "Carolina Blue", please call WBNS TV 10 ( CBS ) in Columbus, ask to speak with anchors Andrea Cambern or Jerry Revish, so they can enlighten you to this recent ranking on Columbus ...
If that doesn't work for you, may I suggest: WCMH TV 4 ( NBC ) WSYX TV 6 ( ABC ) or WTTE TV 28 ( FOX )
It WAS reported by all of these media outlets, so let's move on ...

Old 08-12-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Note to "Carolina Blue", please call WBNS TV 10 ( CBS ) in Columbus, ask to speak with anchors Andrea Cambern or Jerry Revish, so they can enlighten you to this recent ranking on Columbus ...
If that doesn't work for you, may I suggest: WCMH TV 4 ( NBC ) WSYX TV 6 ( ABC ) or WTTE TV 28 ( FOX )
It WAS reported by all of these media outlets, so let's move on ...
No, the point is that you can’t just make up a ranking and then try to justify it by saying you and only you saw it on the news. Your story doesn’t exist, it’s not even on the current BET website. The closest thing to it is, as I’ve said, an old archived BET Nightly News story from 2002. You should just say you made a mistake…and then move on.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:02 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
Quote:
No, the point is that you can’t just make up a ranking and then try to justify it by saying you and only you saw it on the news. Your story doesn’t exist, it’s not even on the current BET website. The closest thing to it is, as I’ve said, an old archived BET Nightly News story from 2002. You should just say you made a mistake…and then move on.

It's NOT an error, a fantasy or a lie ... it HAS BEEN REPORTED by the local media in Columbus!
Now, let's move on ....
Good Lord!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:09 PM

SPORTING NEWS BEST SPORTS CITIES: Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2009

#23. Charlotte
#34. Columbus

Link: Best Sports City: The list - Sporting News - General - Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/general/article/2009-10-06/best-sports-city-list - broken link)

BTW, you Columbus folks can join the rest of the nation in watching our NFL team on National TV tonight in Baltimore. It’s an away preseason game, but feel free to join the rest of the county in viewing nonetheless on ESPN.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:59 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,461 times
Quote:
SPORTING NEWS BEST SPORTS CITIES: Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2009

#23. Charlotte
#34. Columbus

Link: Best Sports City: The list - Sporting News - General - Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/general/article/2009-10-06/best-sports-city-list - broken link)

BTW, you Columbus folks can join the rest of the nation in watching our NFL team on National TV tonight in Baltimore. It’s an away preseason game, but feel free to join the rest of the county in viewing nonetheless on ESPN.
I'm just now checking back into this thread, so I apologize if there's a reason why you posted that, but there would be no way Columbus could be ahead of Charlotte in terms of sports cities.

Columbus is an amazing sports city, however there are no pro sports franchises there except NHL and MLS, the countries least popular sports. Charlotte on the other hand has the NFL and NBA, two of the top three most popular sports in the U.S.A, with NFL being # 1, so really this concludes what most already know.

I would bet however Columbus ranks in the top 5 of best COLLEGE sports cities.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:36 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
Quote:
I'm glad you agree with me. That's the exact point I was making, that both cities have essentially the same numbers regarding unemployment.
Charlotte has a diverse economy, but when the banks took a huge hit, Charlotte got hit and the unemployment says so. Columbus is more diverse when it comes to companies being located there based around different fields, etc, and it also helps to be a state capital. Look at Detroit, based around one industry, and look what has happened to that city, and unemployment rate numbers. Charlotte is in much better shape and is much more diverse, but with the banking industry being hit and still on shaky ground, Charlotte is still very vulnerable. It does not take a brain surgeon to see this.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-12-2010 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 08-12-2010, 06:44 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
I do not want to ruin a thread, but if you look through all the BET rankings from each year, Columbus (as does Charlotte) both rank in the top 10. Honestly, who cares who grows faster? I personally would rather take Columbus' growth because it is a more steady growth so no boom/bust factor is implied. Columbus takes on characteristics of southern and western cities. It annexes (has big city limits) it is growing over the national average, is home to a very diverse economy, sprawls like there is no tommorow, is investing in its city core because a lot of investment has been put into the suburbs.

It is nice to see some Charlotte posters actually taking pictures of Charlotte and posting them. They are adding to the thread without conflict being involved. No need to bash Charlotte to make Columbus look better and the other way around.

I think a thread comparing Columbus to Austin would have been much more suitable because I see those cities more like twins.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Ha, I am sorry, I do not agree with people who ruin threads , and probaly more than likely, you are a troll. Look at what you have done to this thread so far. Charlotte has a diverse economy, but when the banks took a huge hit, Charlotte got hit and the unemployment says so. Columbus is more diverse when it comes to companies being located there based around different fields, etc, and it also helps to be a state capital. Look at Detroit, based around one industry, and look what has happened to that city, and unemployment rate numbers. Charlotte is in much better shape and is much more diverse, but with the banking industry being hit and still on shaky ground, Charlotte is still very vulnerable. It does not take a brain surgeon to see this.
And as I showed before, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see there are more people with college degrees unemployed in Columbus than in Charlotte. And since you're stuck on banking, at least the banking industry is recovering and hiring is picking up in Charlotte. I'm not sure what Columbus can do, if anything, to improve their number.

UNEMPLOYMENT RATE BY EDUCATIONAL ATTAINMENT, 2009 ANNUAL AVERAGES…

Charlotte city
Less than a high school diploma ...22.2%
High school graduates, no college ...19.3%
Some college or associate degree ...8.2%
Bachelor’s degree and higher ...7.4%

Columbus city
Less than a high school diploma ...27.1%
High school graduates, no college ...15.7%
Some college or associate degree ...6.5%
Bachelor’s degree and higher ...8.0%

Bureau of Labor & Statistics Link: http://www.bls.gov/opub/gp/pdf/gp09_28.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City