Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 05:51 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

ny, paris, london, tokyo...all **** holes of culture and humanity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 05:58 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
Wait just a minute. The original question I posed was not "what do you think is better, a building shaped like a giant ***** from outerspace or a WalMart store"

Nobody asked that.
The poster who I quoted was wondering "why everyone was shooting their loads" to these buildings. I was just showing why.

Quote:
First of all the Gherkin is ugly. Apologies in advance to anybody that helped design or build that piece of crap.
I suppose that's your opinion...however many people think the Gherkin is absolutely gorgeous (i.e. Me)

Quote:
The pictures of London streets were stunning though. Great photos!
Thanks, I think London has some of the best architecture and streetscapes on the planet.

Quote:
Getting back to the topic now... nobody has yet come up with anything that makes me see these modern skyscrapers in any sort of positive way. Nor the big cities that contain them for that matter. Just alot of sarcasm and cynicism so far in the posts. Soooo sensitive. Soooo defensive.
That's fine...not everyone likes them. I'm not sure what else to say. You said you don't understand why people do...we've just been giving you examples as to why we like them. That was the original question...wasn't it?

Quote:
If anything, there are a couple posters, apparantly from the big city who jumped right in with the stereotypes of small towns for some reason, saying all there is to look at is Walmart and cookie cutter homes etc.
I simply posted those because of the tone of the poster who I quoted.

Quote:
Maybe I should refine the question. Why is the average joe so easily drawn into the games and rat race of the big city?
Some people like to feel "in the middle of it all", surrounded by thousands of people who are from thousands of different places. The amentities like shopping and dining options, blah, blah I explained that in my previous post.

Why are people drawn into the "rat race"? One reason:

Quote:
What part of the metal and glass skyscraper am I supposed to be in love with?
I don't know. I like the sleek look of some of the buildings...I think they look graceful (For Example: Aqua in Chicago). Other buildings like the Herzog & de Meuron tower look futuristic and...I don't know, it's just cool.

Quote:
Is it because some group of skilled persons used their combined brain power to create something really really tall and livable using someone elses money and resources?
Um, what? I guess it's impressive that people do work together to get these built, etc, etc...but people probably don't look at a skyscraper and think about how impressive it is that someone successfully secured financing from a group of lenders (But then again, in this market it would be pretty impressive to secure financing...)

Quote:
Is it the spectacular views that draw people?
Now you're getting it! I'm sure some people love skyscrapers for that reason!

Quote:
I understand that skyscrapers seem to hold an importance to many people, oddly people who will never live in one or even see most of them. So what's the fascination?
I think the people who live in those skyscrapers are probably pretty fascinated by them...or at least like them a lot. People don't drop $35 million on penthouses because it's their only option.

But again...you're coming on City-Data.com and wondering why people are so fascinated with cities...it's like me going on a Star Wars website and being boggled that people are talking about Chewbaca.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:05 PM

631 posts, read 1,575,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Nice scenery, but those are just barely mid-rises. They don't count.
Oh really? Then how about giving us your definition of a skyline...b/c i'm sure that if you don't call this one a skyline you'll be surprised at the actual meaning of the word.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:08 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
OK, but unlike some others who posted, these points^ mean nothing to me. Sorry.

1. I do not see how cramming more and more people into giant, ugly vertical fire hazards is relevant in 2010 or beyond.
2. I really could care less what physical attributes designers give to a tall building. I don't get any personal satisfaction from designs that I play no part of, and like billions of other people on this planet, I will never live in one so who should really care besides the people that live or work there? I am also not an architect, so why do people poop a brick when I am not in awe of these things.

3. True, but you don't have to live there to get it.
You obviously have your mind made up about this and there is no convincing you otherwise, so why bother? The problem with your line of questioning and your replies is that you think that because you think a certain way, that people are supposed to respond to your questions based on your worldview. There really is no "right" or "wrong" answer to this question. People are responding with their personal view on why they like cities. Since these aren't the answers you want to hear to make it "right" in your mind, you respond with sanctimonious drivel. Just accept that everyone doesn't think like you, are not obligated to think like you and move on.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I think that suburban street looked alot more desireable and appealing than those tacky looking brick buildings. I like yards and nice landscaping, not tall buildings and concrete.
Well, that's the first (and probably last) time I've ever heard Tudor/Victorian architecture called "tacky". All I'll say is that I strongly disagree with your opinion.

What do you think about these buildings?

http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03/04a_17_stjames_415x275.jpg (broken link)

New buildings...

Quote:
And if i had to live in an urban environment, i wouldnt pick an ugly looking one like that, maybe something more like this
That "ugly" neighborhood is basically the visual definition of "urban". The example you posted is urban...but in my opinion the design is absolutely hideous. Totally lacking any detail...it's just a couple different colors, awning, and a curve. But to each his own!

Old 01-16-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Well, that's the first (and probably last) time I've ever heard Tudor/Victorian architecture called "tacky". All I'll say is that I strongly disagree with your opinion.

What do you think about these buildings?

New buildings...

That "ugly" neighborhood is basically the visual definition of "urban". The example you posted is urban...but in my opinion the design is absolutely hideous. Totally lacking any detail...it's just a couple different colors, awning, and a curve. But to each his own!
Well that's your opinion. I personally love having a little extra space outside my home and not cramped into a little spot like those you find in urban Europe with no lawn to speak of.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
Well that's your opinion. I personally love having a little extra space outside my home and not cramped into a little spot like those you find in urban Europe with no lawn to speak of.
And that's totally fine! I'm just stating my opinion. I personally would rather be around other people...like here

Old 01-16-2010, 06:50 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Arguing about personal preferences is futile and pointless.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Arguing about personal preferences is futile and pointless.
Exactly, and the way that the OP is treating our responses I don't even see why anyone would want to TRY...

Old 01-16-2010, 07:00 PM

haha true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City