Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 03:14 PM

270 posts, read 855,009 times

Advertisements

What a stupid post....

Skyscrapers were the result of many people wanting to be in the same place. The property values rose in these areas of desireability and thus, buildings went higher because they could command more dollars/sq. foot and wanted to maximize space.

If you don't want to live in a city, more power to you. However, the reason for their existence is pretty self explanatory (people need to work near their job, most jobs are found in cities)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 03:37 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
OK I kind of knew all this typical bs already.
What BS?

Quote:
While the engineering of the buildings sounds impressive,
Yay!

Quote:
the end result is still pathetic.

Quote:
No, the Auqua building does not impress me. I find it unimaginative.
Ok, that's your opinion. However, I think most people would disagree with you...especially since there's nothing else like it in the world. Since joining this website, you've done a lot of bashing of Chicago...maybe I should show you a nice building going up in New York by Herzog & de Meuron

Thanks Wired

In the foreground with the new WTC in the background

Maybe modern stuff just isn't your thing...but that's ok. However, I don't understand why you can't see why others wouldn't find that scene breathtaking and amazing.

Quote:
Big cities are not the only places filled with people from all walks of life.
True, but you're not going to get the diversity within one population the way you will in cities.

Quote:
What specific amenities does a big city have that I cannot get while simply visiting for a few days?
Well aside from things like museums (you don't have to live in the city to enjoy these, you can just visit), art galleries, etc. You've got more options for dining, clubbing, shopping, sports, etc. If you're single, you've obviously got more options living in a city than you would in the burbs. There are beautiful parks, monuments, squares, etc in these cities too.

You personally may not like things like clubbing, but plenty of others out there do. The 500,000+ nightly clubbers in cities like London would probably agree with me too.

Quote:
Other places do not have historical signifigance? Most of our important history takes place away from big cities.
Well the revolution heavily involved Boston, Philadelphia, and New York. Obviously the war was happening pretty much everywhere in the colonies, but those were the epic-centers. Most of the major decisions of our country's history have happened in Washington DC, New York City, or Philadelphia. As far as discovery of the frontier, then yea sure, lots of it happened outside big cities. But think about other countries. Rome, Athens, London, Paris, Berlin, Moscow, Tokyo all laugh at what we consider "history". Those cities have likely seen more history individually than all of the United States combined.

Quote:
Architectural beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think most of it ended around WWII.
Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder...but most of the major cities on the East Coast are loaded with historical architecture. Obviously all of Europe is packed to the gills with beautiful historical architecture...

Quote:
There are plenty who are dismissive of big cites and skyscrapers. Why is that so odd?
It's all an opinion, and you've got every right to feel the way you do. I think it would be better not to be dismissive of big cities, since they hold so much power...you may not like them, but you've got to respect the power they hold. That's a whole other conversation though.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:02 PM

16 posts, read 31,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLMetro View Post
What a stupid post....

Skyscrapers were the result of many people wanting to be in the same place. The property values rose in these areas of desireability and thus, buildings went higher because they could command more dollars/sq. foot and wanted to maximize space.

If you don't want to live in a city, more power to you. However, the reason for their existence is pretty self explanatory (people need to work near their job, most jobs are found in cities)....

If this is a dumb post, then your reply was even dumber.
Thanks for the history lesson by the way. Yeah reading back over this thread, nobody inquired about the orgin or reason for skyscrapers/big cities. Einstein.

The question was simple...why do so many joe sixpacks (ie C-D dweebs) tend to wet their pants about livin' in a big overcrowded city or repeatedly shoot their loads over these ugly and unimaginative frames covered with glass. Some have turbines? Ooooooo. Ahhhhh. My answer to the OP is simple. People cannot grasp the concept that the skyscraper is unecessary in city planning and ultimately represents going backward, not forward.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:03 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
I have never been impressed by our world's tall skyscrapers. Or really any skyscrapers. There are only like two that I've ever seen in person that are even moderately pleasing to the eye. I think if an advance civilization ever visited Earth, they would surely smirk at what we consider modern architecture (if they have mouths with lips)

Is there a reason I should be impressed with these soul-less towers? Or big cities in general? I've visited many times but never felt compelled to live in one. What am I missing if anything?
I enjoy the life and vitality in a large city. So many things to see and do. Also, the people in cities generally aren't sticking their noses into each others business, gossiping, flying Confederate flags, harassing gay people, etc.

I grew up in a rural area where the only things people where impressed by were how big of a deer they killed last weekend, the local football team, who's dating who at the only high school in town, etc. Who cares whether Billy Bob is dating Sally Ray, or who got in a fistfight in the local Wal-Mart parking lot last weekend? Why should I or anyone else be impressed by these sorts of things?

The people in that town also lived and died by the local sports teams of the nearest large city. Many people who didn't even go to the local university cheered on schools that they didn't even attend??? Weird. Also, many of these grown men rednecks worshiped other grown men multimillionaire athletes on the nearest city sports team who have little to no attachment to the local community and could probably care less about the local fans. Yet these small town bumpkins could find nothing better to do than paint their faces the color of the team and spend small fortunes on tickets and merchandise.

Man, those small town rednecks were strange.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:04 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLMetro View Post
What a stupid post....
You are 100% correct on that. I'm not sure why anyone is even entertaining such an ignorant topic in the first place. The title alone is derogatory and full of contempt.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:11 PM

196 posts, read 614,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seveneleven711 View Post
If this is a dumb post, then your reply was even dumber.
Thanks for the history lesson by the way. Yeah reading back over this thread, nobody inquired about the orgin or reason for skyscrapers/big cities. Einstein.

The question was simple...why do so many joe sixpacks (ie C-D dweebs) tend to wet their pants about livin' in a big overcrowded city or repeatedly shoot their loads over these ugly and unimaginative frames covered with glass. Some have turbines? Ooooooo. Ahhhhh. My answer to the OP is simple. People cannot grasp the concept that the skyscraper is unecessary in city planning and ultimately represents going backward, not forward.

I think this topic has crossed the line into troll territory right here. The OP doesn't look like he or she is gonna convinced either. tmac has given a more than adequate answer to these questions. Nice pics, tmac!

Old 01-15-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
What BS?

it would be better not to be dismissive of big cities, since they hold so much power.
what is going to happen to pam if she is dismissive about cities. The power people gonna come a knockin? pffft.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:13 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seveneleven711 View Post
The question is simple...why do so many joe sixpacks (ie C-D dweebs) tend to wet their pants about livin' in the big city
Because most of us find this:

Knightsbridge

Cadogan Square

To be a more interesting/desirable place than this:

Thanks

Thanks

Quote:
or repeatedly shoot their loadss over these ugly and unimaginative frames covered with glass. Some have turbines? Ooooooo. Ahhhhh.
Because some of us think this:

To be more aesthetically pleasing than this:

Thanks (http://www.flickr.com/photos/loneprimate/89840869/ - broken link)

I don't understand why you're so perplexed at the thought of people on City-Data.com talking about cities and architecture so much.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:18 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,296 times
^^ Good post. The lives of a few of my family members in the old hometown seem to revolve around trips to Wal-Mart. Sad.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
I enjoy the life and vitality in a large city. So many things to see and do. Also, the people in cities generally aren't sticking their noses into each others business, gossiping, flying Confederate flags, harassing gay people, etc.

I grew up in a rural area where the only things people where impressed by were how big of a deer they killed last weekend, the local football team, who's dating who at the only high school in town, etc. Who cares whether Billy Bob is dating Sally Ray, or who got in a fistfight in the local Wal-Mart parking lot last weekend? Why should I or anyone else be impressed by these sorts of things?

The people in that town also lived and died by the local sports teams of the nearest large city. Many people who didn't even go to the local university cheered on schools that they didn't even attend??? Weird. Also, many of these grown men rednecks worshiped other grown men multimillionaire athletes on the nearest city sports team who have little to no attachment to the local community and could probably care less about the local fans. Yet these small town bumpkins could find nothing better to do than paint their faces the color of the team and spend small fortunes on tickets and merchandise.

Man, those small town rednecks were strange.

wow, what a narrow mind from a large city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City