Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:46 PM

87 posts, read 80,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
This seems like a funny question for this particular forum. Most of us on here, Looooooooove big cities! That's why were on here.

It's like someone asking a fish why they like water.

Once again. This is the forum for such, its in the name, hence, "City"-data

Most of us love our skyscrapers, busy cities, lively action. It's just in some of us. I think Deacon gave a good description of his first time. That's how alot of us felt. I grew up in upstate NY. My first glimpse of a real mega city was NY. And boy was it a good first impression. However, I have always appreciated all sorts of cities, weather they're small, medium, or large.

The downtown or "skyscrapers" which many feel is the heart of a city, its pulse, but which somehow has you puzzled. Some can appreciate the beauty of the architecture. The vision which created each city. Every city is different. Every skyline is not the same. That's what makes it so special. Every city has it's own character etc. thus this is usually illustrated from the first time that we see a citys downtown or urban core. We see the individual character that lies within the many different cities.

To me this question seems a bit bizzarre. I guess if you have to explain it, said person might never get it anyway.
Another good response. Thanks for the thoughts and insight on this. I thought C-D would be the perfect place to ask this question.

The website is not called "big city-data" by the way. Not everyone here enjoys big cities. I am one obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 05:51 PM

87 posts, read 80,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I don't understand why ordinary people enjoy football or hockey.
Haha. Hockey.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:54 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,490 times
After WWII we did our best at ruining our major cities. We razed intact blocks and built parking lots and dead plazas. The modern skyscrapers we built were cold, dull and impresonal. By the 1980's many of our downtowns were semi dead zones filled with can collectors, deadbeats and panhandlers. We destroyed the fabic and neighborhoods of our cities which made them great. We built suburban type developments in the middle of our cities and they failed. Now should we be surprised that some don't like big cities and skyscrpapers. We did this to ourselves. The classic architecture of the late 19th and early 20th century is superior to the crap we put of with after WWII. Classic skyscraper buildings such as the Flatiron, ESB, Tribune in Chicago, Chrysler and so on are incredible to say the least. These buildings are masterpieces. I blame modern architecture and city planning for this mess. We have learned some and many neighborhoods and buildings have been saved and improved, but much damage has been done. We could have done much better.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:15 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Danged if that thing going up in New York (in the post by tmac9wr) doesn't look like a glass version of the game Jenga! http://kwahlgren.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/jenga.jpg
I'm kind of with pam21 on this one. Modern skyscrapers don't do much of anything for me other than give me a crick in the neck. I do like some of the older skyscrapers, but mostly for the craftsmanship of the stonework.
FWIW, the pics of Knightsbridge and Cadogan Square don't seem all that different from the posted pic of suburbia IMO. Just block after block of boring sameness in all three of those pictures, just a different kind of sameness.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I think that suburban street looked alot more desireable and appealing than those tacky looking brick buildings. I like yards and nice landscaping, not tall buildings and concrete.

And if i had to live in an urban environment, i wouldnt pick an ugly looking one like that, maybe something more like this
I have to agree. I really liked those suburban pictures.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:55 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
Getting back to the topic now... nobody has yet come up with anything that makes me see these modern skyscrapers in any sort of positive way. Nor the big cities that contain them for that matter. Just alot of sarcasm and cynicism so far in the posts. Soooo sensitive. Soooo defensive.
Given the tone of your posts I don't suppose anyone ever could. The world is not black and white. There are a lot of people who are really in to big cities, skycrapers, and architecture. If you aren't then, just move on. I mean seriously, this website is called CITY-data. If you went on a forum named CAR-data, and asked why people loved old cars so much when there were better looking new ones or that cars sucked, what type of response do you think you'll get?

Just move on and deal with the fact that people are interested in things that you aren't and are under no obligation to explain themselves for that.

Last edited by waronxmas; 01-15-2010 at 07:08 PM..

Old 01-15-2010, 06:57 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
^ Nicely said. To each his own. Rate up.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:17 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I mean seriously, this website is called CITY-data. If you went on a forum named CAR-data, and asked why people loved old cars so much when there were better looking new ones or that cars sucked, what type of response do you think you'll get?
Uhhh... guys, it's a forum for people thinking of moving to new cities to gather information and opinions about those cities. Big cities, little cities, even towns and suburbs.
City Data. https://www.city-data.com/
It's not specifically a forum for people who love cities, except maybe for this one specific sub forum, and even at that it's just titled "city vs. city", not "big cities are best".

Old 01-15-2010, 07:18 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
big cities aren't impersonal... its much easier for me at least to meet people in big cities... I think you have a very skewed view... Historically cities are where everybody went... for knowledge, goods, trade...etc.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:52 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
big cities aren't impersonal... its much easier for me at least to meet people in big cities... I think you have a very skewed view... Historically cities are where everybody went... for knowledge, goods, trade...etc.
Excellent point. Presently and historically, cities are and have been places where people have gone to socialize, trade (shop), be entertained, etc, even if they lived in very rural areas. That's not impersonal at all. I've found it much easier to meet people in the larger places I've lived, where in many cases other people have also come from other places. In a destination-type place like the larger cities or maybe college towns, people show up all the time who personally know no one or very few people and are generally open to new relationships, friendships, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City