Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:51 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post

while reliant stadium and minute maid park are beautiful, state-of-the-art facilities, they didn't have the impact on the national consciousness that the astrodome did during its heyday. if houston can build an iconic structure or landmark that really becomes emblematic of the city and is able to retain its luster over the long-term, then i think the city's national and international profile will rise significantly. IMO impressive, man-made structures are especially necessary for aspiring world cities that do not have an outstanding natural feature like world-famous beaches, major mountains, oceans/major bays/major lakes, etc.

but things can change dramatically in the next few decades. if houston can improve its infrastructure (especially mass transit), build an iconic structure that screams "HOUSTON", and market itself aggressively, maybe we won't be having this discussion 25 years from now.
Hmmmm....unless we get the olympic games, i dont think Houston will build an iconic stadium. The closest "big structure" that appears to be built in the future would be the Dynamo Stadium, hopefully.

Soccer Stadiums of the USA - Page 68 - SkyscraperCity

But if the Intermodel Transit Center, basically a Union Station, gets built, then maybe this will be our next "big thing".

Houston Northern Intermodal Facility, Houston, TX | EE&K — Ehrenkrantz Eckstut & Kuhn Architects

Old 01-13-2010, 08:42 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
It's interesting because compared to the City-Data world and the actual thing, there's a pretty big difference between views and the strength of many cities representation.

Growing up in the north, for whatever reason, I always heard Dallas as the representation of Texas, and it came up most when discussing Texas. Houston was always just some large, almost "default" city that was also in Texas. Most people just couldn't tell you anything about the place. Lots of people, downtown with buildings, freeways, airport.

When I thought about it, I've been to Houston a few times, but I don't know of anyone who's gone on vacation there. I'm sure there are things to do, but those things aren't really "sold" to the American public very well. I liked the city ok I guess, we just kinda drove around for a day or two, then decided to spend the last 2 days in New Orleans instead before driving back north (this was college spring break).

I think mostly because it's not a vacation destination, it really flies under most of the countries radar.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
But if the Intermodel Transit Center, basically a Union Station, gets built, then maybe this will be our next "big thing".
Where will this be?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:15 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
A great way to measure a city's attractiveness is how the market prices it. Supply and demand. If demand is high, so will prices, if low, prices decline.
It's not that black-and-white.
All of the Texas cities generally cost less -- because of large availability of land, tax structure, fewer regulations, etc. That being said, if you want to buy in the most desirable (and higher demand) areas of central Houston or other cities, you'll need to be relatively wealthy; no different from other major cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
You've inspired me to do some research. Here's where I must have stumbled upon that info in the past:
USATODAY.com - Houston again tops fattest city list
And here's a 2009 Men's Fitness article that has Houston as #6. I'm sure the criteria is subjective, though.
2009 Fattest Cities in America - Men's Fitness
I think the Men's Cosmo Magazine lists have already been discussed and debunked in city-data. Better to look up stats from the CDC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Saying Houston doesn't offer anything to unique is incorrect. How could you say it doesn't offer anything unique when you stated you didn't know much about it? Houston's problem is the lack of publicity and media.
Bingo.
Interestingly, I think many Houstonians (especially natives) would prefer to keep it that way. I think they have seen what's happened to places like Austin, and are concerned about attracting a bunch of posers who will water the place down, complain, and flock to overpriced condos owned by out-of-state corporations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Remember though, Austin is perceived as being the least "Texas-like" of cities in Texas. It's seen as a pocket of liberalism surrounded by Bush-loving, gun-waving conservatives.
Which is a mostly a myth of course (to think the capital of the state isn't like the state, LOL!) but that's another subject...

Old 01-13-2010, 09:22 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It's interesting because compared to the City-Data world and the actual thing, there's a pretty big difference between views and the strength of many cities representation.

Growing up in the north, for whatever reason, I always heard Dallas as the representation of Texas, and it came up most when discussing Texas. Houston was always just some large, almost "default" city that was also in Texas. Most people just couldn't tell you anything about the place. Lots of people, downtown with buildings, freeways, airport.

When I thought about it, I've been to Houston a few times, but I don't know of anyone who's gone on vacation there. I'm sure there are things to do, but those things aren't really "sold" to the American public very well. I liked the city ok I guess, we just kinda drove around for a day or two, then decided to spend the last 2 days in New Orleans instead before driving back north (this was college spring break).

I think mostly because it's not a vacation destination, it really flies under most of the countries radar.
To be fair, Houston may not be a vacation destination to people in the Northeast or along the Atlantic Coast, but Galveston beaches are a pretty popular vacation spot for several million people each year. So I wouldn't exactly say that Houston isn't a vacation destination.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:25 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Add a lack of natural scenery
Sort of. But does that hurt Dallas the same way? At least Houston has a lot of large trees, more greenery and some water features.

Quote:
oppressive heat and humidity
Not all year by any means. Good grief, it was down in the 20's just last week. The last few days have been in the 50's and gorgeous.

Quote:
a terrible crime rate
Compared to what? There's room for improvement, but I don't see it toward the top of any lists.

Quote:
and a unimpressive downtown core after 5pm to your list.
Sort of... but again, debatable. The scene these days is mostly about a mile west of downtown proper.

Quote:
Never mind the insane drivers there.
How is that different from most other major cities?

Quote:
Houston, despite its size, isn't really a great place. It's just not.
Apparently, millions other disagree. Rather a subjective thing...

Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 PM

293 posts, read 900,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
You've inspired me to do some research. Here's where I must have stumbled upon that info in the past:

USATODAY.com - Houston again tops fattest city list

And here's a 2009 Men's Fitness article that has Houston as #6. I'm sure the criteria is subjective, though.

2009 Fattest Cities in America - Men's Fitness
"The fittest cities:
1. Honolulu
2. Seattle
3. San Francisco
4. Colorado Springs
5. San Diego
6. Portland, Ore.
7. Denver
8. Virginia Beach
9. Tucson
10. Sacramento"

Every city on that list is western accept for Virginia Beach. I find that very interesting. Does anyone know why? I also would have never though Houston would get on a "America's fattest cities list". But the facts don't lie.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:38 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
That could be said about anybody anywhere! I can't stand some of the arrogant pricks form CA or New York(or anywhere for that matter), but that doesn't mean I don't like the places.
The people are somewhat a representation of the city too.....

Old 01-13-2010, 09:41 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
"The fittest cities:
1. Honolulu
2. Seattle
3. San Francisco
4. Colorado Springs
5. San Diego
6. Portland, Ore.
7. Denver
8. Virginia Beach
9. Tucson
10. Sacramento"

Every city on that list is western accept for Virginia Beach. I find that very interesting. Does anyone know why? I also would have never though Houston would get on a "America's fattest cities list". But the facts don't lie.
Because Men's Fitness is West Coast-centric?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:43 PM

293 posts, read 900,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Because Men's Fitness is West Coast-centric?
So you're calling it biased? Just because a company or organization is based in a certain area means that it gives false statistics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City