Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
The people are somewhat a representation of the city too.....
It's just a forum. There are people everywhere like that. I knew a lot of people like that from Atlanta in real life, but I went there and thought it was okay. Didn't like those braggers, but I liked the city.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Of course they suffered; everyone did. But no sane person would ever put the blame for Kennedy's assassination on Dallas...and I really don't what else you could be implying here.
I'm not suggesting or implying anything. I'm simply pointing out history. Plenty of sane people believed it. Hardly a sanity test.

Dallas suffered tremendously after the assassination. Many people believe(d) that the city was a city of hate and that the assassination was somehow the city's fault. That is a fact, whether you choose to believe it or not. Look it up.

And I might add, many of those people from that generation are still alive. So I am indeed suggesting that attitude still exists to this day. To the same extent? Certainly not.

Here's an article that speaks to my point. I'm not defending the mindset in any way. But it is a very real part of Dallas' history and its subsequent reputation.

25 Years After the Death of Kennedy, Dallas Looks at Its Changed Image - NYTimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/21/us/25-years-after-the-death-of-kennedy-dallas-looks-at-its-changed-image.html?pagewanted=1 - broken link)

Old 01-13-2010, 09:49 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
So you're calling is biased? Just because a company or organization is based in a certain area means that it's biased? I think that's a bit of an assumption.
No, I'm not saying anything is biased...you asked a question and I threw out a guess at the answer. I have no idea - but so far it's the only response.

I have no idea where Men's Fitness is based...again, it was simply a guess. Was it a rhetorical question or something?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:51 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
I also would have never though Houston would get on a "America's fattest cities list". But the facts don't lie.
Um, because Men's Cosmo Magazine is not "the facts." It was a silly list generated using factors such as number of ice cream places, gyms, commute times etc. Not by actually taking a sample of the population and looking at them.
Like I said before your post, better to check CDC stats for obesity rates in cities.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 PM

293 posts, read 900,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
No, I'm not saying anything is biased...you asked a question and I threw out a guess at the answer. I have no idea - but so far it's the only response.

I have no idea where Men's Fitness is based...again, it was simply a guess. Was it a rhetorical question or something?
Fair enough. But I doubt it's because of where they are based. I could be wrong though.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. But I doubt it's because of where they are based. I could be wrong though.
Ok cool. I was really just trying to answer the question.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Um, because Men's Cosmo Magazine is not "the facts." It was a silly list generated using factors such as number of ice cream places, gyms, commute times etc. Not by actually taking a sample of the population and looking at them.
Like I said before your post, better to check CDC stats for obesity rates in cities.
It's about as scientific as a "Best Cities for __________" list.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:58 PM

293 posts, read 900,477 times
Quote:
You mind posting those stats?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:00 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
Quote:
Yeah, where do you get that? I'm interested in seeing it.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Remember though, Austin is perceived as being the least "Texas-like" of cities in Texas. It's seen as a pocket of liberalism surrounded by Bush-loving, gun-waving conservatives.
I think it's time to retire this line of thinking. In 2010, not only is this not true anymore, but Houston and Dallas in many respects have surpassed it. If Austin isn't Texas. Dallas and Houston isn't either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City