Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Principal West Coast City Is:
Los Angeles 168 79.25%
San Francisco 31 14.62%
Seattle 13 6.13%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
LA period..the Bay area isn't even in the running by comparison..Anyone seriously living in California knows this.
No, only people obsessed with status on City-Data knows this. I'm an LA native (lived there for around 16/20 years of my life) and now live in the Bay Area (for my last month). By and large, most people in the Bay Area don't talk about LA at all or look at LA like some ultra-city. In fact, most Bay Area natives think the Bay Area is the premier city of the West Coast due to the (IMO overinflated) influence of new media and the internet or they simply don't care because who has time to think about other cities when you have to eat on a daily basis or make money? That's true for just about every single city in the United States.

However, there are some here who have inferiority complexes when it comes to SoCal. That makes me angry, but so do people in SoCal who think there is no world outside of SoCal (way too many of those).

We live in a wonderful state, and both are hard to separate from the juggernaut called 'California'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
No, only people obsessed with status on City-Data knows this. I'm an LA native (lived there for around 16/20 years of my life) and now live in the Bay Area (for my last month). By and large, most people in the Bay Area don't talk about LA at all or look at LA like some ultra-city. In fact, most Bay Area natives think the Bay Area is the premier city of the West Coast due to the (IMO overinflated) influence of new media and the internet or they simply don't care because who has time to think about other cities when you have to eat on a daily basis or make money? That's true for just about every single city in the United States.

However, there are some here who have inferiority complexes when it comes to SoCal. That makes me angry, but so do people in SoCal who think there is no world outside of SoCal (way too many of those).

We live in a wonderful state, and both are hard to separate from the juggernaut called 'California'.

I couldn't care less about Southern California in terms of bias..I'm from and claim Colorado( primary home is in Boulder)..outside of Coastal OC.Btw I have lived all over LA from Hollywood,Malibu,Hermosa..I hate LA..and I know the vibe in Sf as well,spent time there too just because they ignore the giant doesn't mean he's left the room..LA is the Big Dog..didn't say I like the big dog..

Old 01-21-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
I couldn't care less about Southern California in terms of bias..I'm from and claim Colorado..outside of Coastal OC.Btw I have lived all over LA from Hollywood,Malibu,Hermosa..I hate LA..and I know the vibe in Sf,,spent time there too..LA is the Big Dog..didn't say I like the big dog..
I wasn't accusing you of being a SoCal homer Those practically don't exist nowadays for those over 30. A huge chunk of my friends back home want to go somewhere else (including moving here). Hell, just look on the Los Angeles forum. Something's funny in the water that makes everyone hate the place.

All I'm saying is that saying that 'LA is far ahead' is a hyperbole. That's all. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

PS. Colorado is such a beautiful state. I want to make my way out to Vail, Aspen, and Denver one day. Welcome back to the Golden State!

Old 01-21-2010, 08:00 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,919 times
^^^^We all know SF hates LA. It's a trend up there that all San Franciscans practice, but you should calm down also. Most people on these D*** forums are mentally ill and suffer some sort of social disorder or either ostracized by society, really people on here are as ignorant as brick walls, there's no point trying to prove something to them or to get worked up yourself. And yes people have a lot of grievances with LA it's ridiculous sometimes, and these grievances can be on the smallest of scales, like they just didn't experience the city right or they got dumped by there girlfriend/boyfriend here, or they saw one not so picture-esque neigborhood (which every city has) in LA and claimed it all crap, etc. On a greater note you are right about what you said "We live in a wonderful state, and both are hard to separate from the juggernaut called 'California'."

Last edited by Hollywood Inquirer; 01-21-2010 at 08:08 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 08:24 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
^^^^We all know SF hates LA. It's a trend up there that all San Franciscans practice
This is a completely untrue statement. But what is true is that everyone that tries to claim that ALL people of any one region do the same thing is completely clueless and ignorant.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
This is a completely untrue statement. But what is true is that everyone that tries to claim that ALL people of any one region do the same thing is completely clueless and ignorant.

To be honest I was half kidding, but it's true for the most part.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:36 PM

77 posts, read 228,186 times
Default La

Los Angeles.
More People than both SF and Seattle Combined.
More Diversified Economy.
Buissier transportation/trade
Also LA is the entertainment/art/Fashion and arguably the cultural/art capital of America and Entertainment/art and fashion ARE America's biggest exports

Old 01-21-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
^^^^We all know SF hates LA. It's a trend up there that all San Franciscans practice, but you should calm down also. Most people on these D*** forums are mentally ill and suffer some sort of social disorder or either ostracized by society, really people on here are as ignorant as brick walls, there's no point trying to prove something to them or to get worked up. On a greater note you are right about what you said "We live in a wonderful state, and both are hard to separate from the juggernaut called 'California'."
True that. I'm gonna move back to LA in March, and I'm looking very much forward to it (mostly for the free rent). However, out of all the places I've lived in the United States, the Bay Area is 2nd to LA. SF is a cool place to visit, but would never live in SF itself because it simply isn't my style but like the rest of the Bay Area due to the plethora of the outdoor activities (I'm an avid hiker and mountain biker).

This forum isn't representative of the US population. What happens here doesn't matter California will still be home to me. LA will always be the home nest, but it doesn't mean I won't be comfortable elsewhere.
I'll defend both LA and SF , since they've both played a huge role in my development as a person. I just hate how on this forum, its always a zero-sum game where liking one means hating the other. That's not how the real world works.

Here are the economic indicators for both areas. Take what you will

Quote:
[RIGHT]

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA (incl. LA, Riverside, and Oxnard MSAs)
2008 Population: 17,786,419 (48.3% of California's population)
2008 GMP: $866,095,000,000 (46.8% of California's GSP)

San Jose-San Francisco- Oakland, CA CSA (incl. San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Rosa, Vallejo, Santa Cruz, and Napa MSAs)
2008 Population: 7,354,555 (20% of California's population)
2008 GMP: $508,418,000,000 (27.5% of California's GSP)
[/RIGHT]

Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 PM

290 posts, read 570,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFrom215 View Post
LOL....OK....I certainly didn't mean that the LA basin is sending out troops to occupy the entire US west of the Mississipi. My point was simply that of the three cities in the poll LA's overall influence is on greater scale than that of San Francisco or Seattle. Ditto NY in the East. Look....I have the same problem. You could combine Philly, Boston, DC, and throw in Baltimore, and you still probably wouldn't have the same overall heft of NYC. NYC and LA....and to a slightly lesser extent Chicago....are global cities an order of magnitude above every other American city.

Believe me....I get tired of hearing New Yorkers say it. But it's true.

You better think twice. The LA Basin is sending out troops to occupy the West Coast and even the rest of the country. Surenos, Crips, Bloods, MS-13 are all making their moves in neighborhoods across the country and local gangs are either forced to join their ranks or fight.
I cant even count the amouth of people killed by thugs in a LA Dodgers hats reppin Sur or Crips here in the SF Bay Area in recent years.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonzy View Post
You better think twice. The LA Basin is sending out troops to occupy the West Coast and even the rest of the country. Surenos, Crips, Bloods, MS-13 are all making their moves in neighborhoods across the country and local gangs are either forced to join their ranks or fight.
I cant even count the amouth of people killed by thugs in a LA Dodgers hats reppin Sur or Crips here in the SF Bay Area in recent years.

lol what? I hope you don't mean Tongan Crips. The ones in EPA and Deep East Oakland are the only ones that are serious and asian crips have been irrelevant since 2000. The only important gangs up here are Norte, BB & MS13. That's it. The neighborhood stuff (Big Block, Acorn Mob, Oakdale Mob, etc.) is not on the same scale and never will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City