Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Principal West Coast City Is:
Los Angeles 168 79.25%
San Francisco 31 14.62%
Seattle 13 6.13%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:40 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
The Bay Area and Los Angeles are almost tied for me. They are the tops in certain industries for different things, both equally important in global reach and scope. Talking about hi tech and media. Equally diverse, staggeringly beautiful, and ridiculously rich, I have a hard time choosing. It doesn't really matter too, because they're both in the same state, cross pollinate in every which way, and both of their amazing outputs goes to the same bottom line. They are both quintessential California!

I'll choose SF, because it's my home base and is a bit more my flavor. But I'll defend Los Angeles to the death if I have to.
No they are not equal. LA is damn near twice the size of the Bay Area and Hollywood has been influencing the world for nearly a century, while Silicon Valley has only been relevant for 20 years.

As for LA being ridiculously rich, that's not really true. The Bay has a much higher average household income than LA. Hell, even Milwaukee has a higher average household income than LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 11:57 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
No they are not equal.
Actually as far as corporations, the Bay Area far exceeds Los Angeles.

Los Angeles is still No. 1 tho. Its sheer size and world famous name are good enough to give it the top spot imo.

This conversation is not cut and dry precisely because SF is so worldwide. Virtually everyone everywhere is familiar with San Francisco in many ways.

Quote:
LA is damn near twice the size of the Bay Area and Hollywood has been influencing the world for nearly a century, while Silicon Valley has only been relevant for 20 years.
Actually San Francisco was a financial center long before Hollywood boomed into existence. Bank of America for most of its existence, including the time when it was the largest bank in the world, was based out of San Francisco. And today, Wells Fargo, biggest bank in the west, is based out of SF. Not to mention the west's only Federal Reserve bank, Charles Schwab, Franklin Templeton, Visa and the West Coast HQ of nearly every major bank with a presence in California.

I don't know of any LA Area company that is as famous as Visa? Disney perhaps but that's about it.

Furthermore, with respect to entertainment, the television was invented in San Francisco by Philo T. Farnsworth.

Furthermore, the most significant fashion and apparel breakthrough of the entire 19th and 20th Centuries happened in San Francisco.

Denim.
http://www.klondyke.nl/new/images/extra/extra_70856_01.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-09-2010, 12:07 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
The Bay Area and Los Angeles are almost tied for me. They are the tops in certain industries for different things, both equally important in global reach and scope. Talking about hi tech and media. Equally diverse, staggeringly beautiful, and ridiculously rich, I have a hard time choosing. It doesn't really matter too, because they're both in the same state, cross pollinate in every which way, and both of their amazing outputs goes to the same bottom line. They are both quintessential California!

I'll choose SF, because it's my home base and is a bit more my flavor. But I'll defend Los Angeles to the death if I have to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Personally I agree, but if I were to think what most people think LA would probably be first.

At the same time, you mention Media and Tech and its interesting how Tech becomes more and more influential in Media.

A few years ago, the Bay Area was not on the Telecommunications map and today the iPhone and its apps, as well as that new google phone, have propelled the region to the forefront of that industry.

Its like everything that has to do with anything remotely involved with technology, the Bay will find a way to become a huge player if not the dominant player in that specific innovation.

The Bay Area has become a new nexus of commerce, entertainment, telecommunications, media and a myriad of other industries that we werent historically strong in. All due to innovations that have made our products and services integral parts of people's lives.

This is a role that would be more befitting of the largest Metro of a region or even country, but no, its here.
When you even have Bay Area forumers voting for Los Angeles, that says something. I consider myself both a resident of the Bay Area and Los Angeles, and for now, I think the title is somewhat safely in LA's hands.

I don't think Silicon Valley is as much as a household name as Hollywood yet. Think about when Silicon Valley arose (in the 70s) and when Hollywood arose (in the early 1900s). After all, the influence of Hollywood wasn't overnight for LA.

Give Silicon Valley more time and tie it into SF a bit more, and they could perhaps be tied. Think about how much money each CSA produces:

(Source: Bureau of Economic Analysis and US Census)

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA
(incl. LA, Riverside, and Oxnard MSAs)
2008 Population: 17,786,419
2008 GMP: $866,095,000,000

San Jose-San Francisco- Oakland, CA CSA (incl. San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Rosa, Vallejo, Santa Cruz, and Napa MSAs)
2008 Population: 7,354,555
2008 GMP: $508,418,000,000

LA has 242% of the Bay Area's population, but only 170% the GMP (that's a HUGE disparity). If that's not a testament to how economically powerful the Bay Area is, then I don't know what is. If the Bay Area had LA's population with the same per capita output as now, it would be a $1.23 trillion dollar economy. Talking about population is only half the story.

Anyways, I love both areas. I love Seattle too, but for different reasons (sister lives there, and love visiting).

Old 01-09-2010, 12:10 PM

You obviously didn't read my first post. I said HISTORICALLY SF was more important than LA, but that's not the case anymore.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:22 PM

184 posts, read 571,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
LA. Ports, transportation, culture, entertainment, business
I like your post except the business part of it. San Francisco is more of a business center than LA.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:25 PM

981 posts, read 805,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmario_88 View Post
I like your post except the business part of it. San Francisco is more of a business center than LA.
I think that would depend on what kind of "business" we're talking about. I definitely don't see SF overshadowing LA overall in this regard, though.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:42 PM

305 posts, read 771,011 times
Quote:

Agreed, and I'll defend S.F. if I have to as well.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:02 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Well, in terms of diversity, I think the Bay Area and LA are pretty much matched (Seattle is lagging behind in this indicator). I hate calculating diversity based on the 4 broad racial groups (makes no sense whatsoever but off topic here), but the point still stands.

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2006-2008

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA (bottom of that page)
46.2% White
22.4% Hispanic
21.1% Asian
6.4% Black
2.6% Two or More Races
US Census Diversity Index: .687 (= {[.462*.462] + [.224*.224] + [.211*.211] + [.064*.064]+[.026*.026]} - 1.00)

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2006-2008

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA (bottom of that page)
35.4% White
43.9% Hispanic
11.3% Asian
6.8% Black
1.6% Two or More Races
US Census Diversity Index: .664 (= {[.354*.354] + [.439*.439] + [.113+.113] + [.068*.068]+[.016*.016]} - 1.00)

Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA CSA - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2006-2008

Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA CSA

73.9% White
7.2% Hispanic
9.1% Asian
4.6% Black
3.5% Two or More Races
US Census Diversity Index: .437 (= {[.739*.739] + [.072*.072] + [.091+.091] + [.046*.046]+[.035*.035]} - 1.00)

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 01-09-2010 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Calculated the diversity index by adding the squares of each group's percentage, then subtracting it from 1.00

Old 01-09-2010, 01:26 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
When the word "business" is mentioned people automatically look to the white collar for status. Los Angeles is the largest manufacturing center in the West. Blue collar, unglamorous, but heavily contributing. Take manufacturing and the significance of its ports together and you have the real picture if L.A.'s economic power. Then add Hollywood.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
When the word "business" is mentioned people automatically look to the white collar for status. Los Angeles is the largest manufacturing center in the West. Blue collar, unglamorous, but heavily contributing. Take manufacturing and the significance of its ports together and you have the real picture if L.A.'s economic power. Then add Hollywood.
LA's actually the largest manufacturing center, period. No city, not even Rust Belt cities, comes close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City