Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Principal West Coast City Is:
Los Angeles 168 79.25%
San Francisco 31 14.62%
Seattle 13 6.13%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:29 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,284 times

Advertisements

Is this a serious poll? Obviously LA is the principle city. I much prefer SF, and even Seattle though. The 3 who voted for Seattle are either extremely confused or extremely biased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 05:35 PM

981 posts, read 805,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Is this a serious poll? Obviously LA is the principle city. I much prefer SF, and even Seattle though. The 3 who voted for Seattle are either extremely confused or extremely biased.
Some people consider SF principal, that's why I included it. As for Seattle, you never know, some people might show a preference for its influence over the other two.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:13 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
some people still consider st louis the gateway to the west and powerful as remember it was once the 4th largest city in the u.s. and doing BIG things.... SF just by itself was also once much more regionally relevant but it isn't any more. LA is easily the dominant power. California as a whole though...central valley, silicon valley, western banking center, hollywood and primary manufacturing and ports... very powerful.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:35 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,053 times
LA without a doubt.

No disrespect to San Fran and Seattle though, both cities have a lot going for them as well and have been increasing their level of significance drastically in the past few decades and will continue to do so.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:44 AM

230 posts, read 286,288 times
L.A., even though have typical East Coast bias against it.

LA is like NYC....people love it, people hate it....but you can't deny it. San Francisco is a great city, and I personally prefer it. It's not a blowout, but LA dominates the West, the same way NYC dominates the East, and both dominate globally.

Seattle has more influence than it's relative size would suggest, and is the hub of the PNW. But LA is the overall force on the West Coast, no doubt.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:58 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
All this talk of domination yet I havent really seen anyone tell us what exacty LA dominates and how it dominates the west?

I mean, I voted for LA because its the most prominent city and the de facto hub of the west-but that is a far cry from saying LA has some sort of supremacy over the west. Which it most certainly does not.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
LA of course

Old 01-19-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
All this talk of domination yet I havent really seen anyone tell us what exacty LA dominates and how it dominates the west?

I mean, I voted for LA because its the most prominent city and the de facto hub of the west-but that is a far cry from saying LA has some sort of supremacy over the west. Which it most certainly does not.
You said it yourself....it's the most prominent city....population, economics, culture, entertainment, shipping, trade, global recognition, etc....

Like I said....I don't necessarily think its a better city....but for the most part
when people think about the West Coast they think about LA first. LA has the largest consolidation of wealth and power. That translates into clout on a global scale that San Francisco.....as influential and wealthy and culturally significant is it unquestionably is....can't quite match.

If you ask me where I'd rather live....San Francisco or Seattle, no question. If you ask me which city has more influence and a higher profile globally: It's LA. And I don't even particularly like LA.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:10 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFrom215 View Post
You said it yourself....it's the most prominent city....population, economics, culture, entertainment, shipping, trade, global recognition, etc....
Yes, LA is the most prominent city but that is a far cry from then saying that LA dominates the west.

Domination in the context of cities(or countries) suggests hegemony and outright control of most if not all aspects of daily life and quite frankly, that is neither the case of LA in the West or NYC in the East.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, LA is the most prominent city but that is a far cry from then saying that LA dominates the west.

Domination in the context of cities(or countries) suggests hegemony and outright control of most if not all aspects of daily life and quite frankly, that is neither the case of LA in the West or NYC in the East.
LOL....OK....I certainly didn't mean that the LA basin is sending out troops to occupy the entire US west of the Mississipi. My point was simply that of the three cities in the poll LA's overall influence is on greater scale than that of San Francisco or Seattle. Ditto NY in the East. Look....I have the same problem. You could combine Philly, Boston, DC, and throw in Baltimore, and you still probably wouldn't have the same overall heft of NYC. NYC and LA....and to a slightly lesser extent Chicago....are global cities an order of magnitude above every other American city.

Believe me....I get tired of hearing New Yorkers say it. But it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City