Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 10:59 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times

Advertisements

I'm still not sure why Youngstown makes these lists. Sure, many parts of the city aren't exactly beautiful. But after browsing through this thread, I haven't seen any part of Youngstown that looks as bad as the pictures on pages 8 and 9 of this thread. But don't take my word for it. Here are some pics I found that show rundown Youngstown, judge for yourself: Picasa Web Albums - jimbobtheboss - Youngstown, Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,877 times
Not the worst looking place I've ever seen, but I've always thought that Chester, PA was pretty ghetto (actually not always, because it didn't always look this way!)

chester, pa - Google Maps

chester, pa - Google Maps

Hmmmm, links aren't showing up as links, will figure out very shortly...sorry about that.

Last edited by agardner58; 03-28-2010 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: thought I messed up links

Old 03-29-2010, 06:57 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
JR_C, you don't consider those bad?

I've been to many areas across the country and Youngstown is really bad. Not just looks wise but it also has one of the highest crime rates in the country and something like the 4th highest murder rate in the country. Those pictures on page 8 or 9, that area shown is hunters point in San Francisco, an area that's all projects. It's a lot more packed than Youngstown because now Youngstown is like a rundown ghosttown in a lot of areas, more similar to abandoned Detroit than an active block in the South Bronx or some dense place like that.

and the same thing to agardner58. I'm very familiar with Chester and that's also one of the worst in the country, a lot of projects, broken down row housing, graffiti, etc. I consider that almost as bad as Camden (which is the worst of the worst lookwise and crimewise).

Old 03-29-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
JR_C, you don't consider those bad?

I've been to many areas across the country and Youngstown is really bad. Not just looks wise but it also has one of the highest crime rates in the country and something like the 4th highest murder rate in the country. Those pictures on page 8 or 9, that area shown is hunters point in San Francisco, an area that's all projects. It's a lot more packed than Youngstown because now Youngstown is like a rundown ghosttown in a lot of areas, more similar to abandoned Detroit than an active block in the South Bronx or some dense place like that.
Sure, they don't look nice. But there are only a couple that look "ghetto" to me. Most are just abandoned houses/buildings, illegal garbage dumps, or empty lots. There were only a couple places where I saw grafitti. (excluding Bellamy's building - the building with all the writing about sex offenders, court records, and police. That guy writes "political" stuff all over his own building.)

Since most of those pictures appear to have been posted 2-3 years ago, many of the worst buildings are probably gone by now. I know from personal experience that some are. But, I would hope that this is true for many of the other pictures in this thread.

Crime rates are somewhat irrelevant to this thread since we're talking about "most ghetto visually." But, most of the crime - especially the murder rate - is gang/drug related.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:14 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Sure, they don't look nice. But there are only a couple that look "ghetto" to me. Most are just abandoned houses/buildings, illegal garbage dumps, or empty lots. There were only a couple places where I saw grafitti. (excluding Bellamy's building - the building with all the writing about sex offenders, court records, and police. That guy writes "political" stuff all over his own building.)

Since most of those pictures appear to have been posted 2-3 years ago, many of the worst buildings are probably gone by now. I know from personal experience that some are. But, I would hope that this is true for many of the other pictures in this thread.

Crime rates are somewhat irrelevant to this thread since we're talking about "most ghetto visually." But, most of the crime - especially the murder rate - is gang/drug related.
What cities or areas would you consider the most "ghetto visually" then?

And what would you personally based that on?

Old 03-29-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
What cities or areas would you consider the most "ghetto visually" then?
I don't know. That's why I didn't answer the question. It's just clear to me that the examples given in this thread are much worse than anything I've seen in Youngstown.

Quote:
And what would you personally based that on?
IMO, ghettos have lots of grafitti, lots of bars on windows and doors, chain link fences, lots of trash laying around in front of non-abandoned buildings, makeshift memorials to people who have gotten killed, etc. I'm not saying Youngstown doesn't have ghettos. There are Google street views down Glenwood, Market, South, and Belmont Avenues. I'm sure you can see some of Youngstown's worst there. But again, IMO, they aren't as bad as the pictures in this thread.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:37 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,821 times
Has anybody been around the Temple University in N. Philly. Talk about delapated and run down. Needles in the road, trash everywhere, condemed buildings busted windows ect. and rows of it.

was definately a wake up call for a 20 year old from a small New England town.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:23 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default boredatwork

In my local area its Baltimore for having large sections of abandoned row homes and D.C for having bars on all the windows everywhere

Old 03-29-2010, 08:04 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
DC doesn't have bars on the windows everywhere, not even close!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:37 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Uh... yea they do. Hell I was out in the suburbs of Maryland, beltsville maybe, we're are talking solid ranch homes built in the 70's and 80's, and there were bars on the windows there too.

I love the new wavers who dont even KNOW dc. My parents grew up there and half my family still lives out there. DC no bars on the windows? LOL what do you hang out in NW or the capitol all day?

Try looking around the other 3/4 of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City