Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 01:17 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
West & East Oakland (by Lake Meritt) are competitors

Oakland - Google Maps

E 18th St & 7th Ave, Oakland, Alameda, California 94606 - Google Maps

magnolia st. oakland ca - Google Maps

And they're easily some of the most dangerous in the whole country. Hoover Foster aka "Ghost Town" in West Oakland is visually some of the worst **** you'll see on the west coast.
These really weren't good choices as examples of what is ghetto "visually" in Oakland and Richmond. Google Maps doesn't really show things the way they look in person. Look at SSF and Daly City for example:

San Mateo, California 94401 - Google Maps

596 Sylvan St, Daly City, CA, United States - Google Maps

317 Acton St, Daly City, CA, United States - Google Maps

The Oakland and Richmond pics don't really look much worse than these right here for the most part, but we all know that DC and SSF are a far cry from either of those two cities. Google maps can fool you. (The first link is mislabeled and is in SSF.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 01:30 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
These really weren't good choices as examples of what is ghetto "visually" in Oakland and Richmond. Google Maps doesn't really show things the way they look in person. Look at SSF and Daly City for example:

San Mateo, California 94401 - Google Maps

596 Sylvan St, Daly City, CA, United States - Google Maps

317 Acton St, Daly City, CA, United States - Google Maps

The Oakland and Richmond pics don't really look much worse than these right here for the most part, but we all know that DC and SSF are a far cry from either of those two cities. Google maps can fool you. (The first link is mislabeled and is in SSF.)

I have an uncle that used to live in dogtown and I know all of West Oakland fairly well. Ghost Town looks the worst from what I've seen... and no google maps doesn't convey it well but there's no photos of any of it so...

And the reason I primarily used west oakland and east oakland by lake meritt is because it's the only area in the bay that has the old victorians that'll look familiar to these east coasters... lol. Obviously DEO looks as bad visually as anything that's been brought up in this thread but the east coasters will spot the "palm trees" and say that it must be lily white

And I'm from the Peninsula (RWC) but currently live in Oakland (Dimond District near the 7 Eleven). The peninsula don't really got nothing that looks like Oakland (or Richmond for that matter).

EDIT: And idk what you mean by not good choices... it doesn't get much more "ghetto" in Richmond than in North Richmond. as for the oakland shots I could've linked to Seminary or Sobrante Park or Castlemont or any number of areas but they'll just think that its a bay area compton (palm trees and green lawns)

Old 03-26-2010, 01:43 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
video of west oakland:

Old 03-26-2010, 09:56 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,801,652 times
Oakland?

Old 03-26-2010, 10:09 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Oakland?
Yes, it is a city in Northern California, which sits directly across the Bay Bridge from DT SF. Ever heard of it...?

Old 03-26-2010, 10:51 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times
Detroit proper.

Even the new mayor is talking about bulldozing 10000 acres of land in the city and convert it to farmland.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:16 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Part of my current hood.

Southside Jamaica, Queens (Southeast NYC).
40.699739,-73.793621 - Google Maps

Old 03-27-2010, 12:22 AM

910 posts, read 1,083,061 times
Poor lil city of Newburgh. One of the few at my age who got up outta there.

newburgh, ny - Google Maps

(I just placed the yellow dude on there randomly because i can't see the streetview myself, but i know how it looks*)

Old 03-27-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Ghost Town looks the worst from what I've seen... and no google maps doesn't convey it well but there's no photos of any of it so...
I agree. I almost moved about 7 blocks from there 8 or 9 years ago and thought twice when I drove through Ghost Town. It was much worse then than it is now though. I think Dog Town was just as bad visually, before at least, and the Lower Bottoms was right there as well.

Quote:
And the reason I primarily used west oakland and east oakland by lake meritt is because it's the only area in the bay that has the old victorians that'll look familiar to these east coasters... lol. Obviously DEO looks as bad visually as anything that's been brought up in this thread but the east coasters will spot the "palm trees" and say that it must be lily white
Lol I feel you. But don't bother trying to present anything to them visually. The annoying, judgmental ones have their minds made up already and seem to think bricks are scary and single-family homes are completely safe no matter what condition they're in. (Kinda negates the whole concept of a "crack house," but whatever. ) And palm trees?? How could there be any danger at all if there are palm trees around?? (That mentality gets on my nerves b/c its completely idiotic.)

The open-minded ones that actually have a clue aren't going to really be able to tell much from photos either. There aren't too many pics online of NorCal ghettos, and you really have to BE in them to get what's scary about them. Its a difference in mentality too b/c a lot of times East Coasters seem to associate large, tall buildings with being dangerous while most of our projects are 2 or 3-stories and decrepit. Just a difference in what each of us are accustomed to. I think more East Coasters would find the TL intimidating visually and HP not so much, while you already know what the deal is with us out here.

Quote:
And I'm from the Peninsula (RWC) but currently live in Oakland (Dimond District near the 7 Eleven). The peninsula don't really got nothing that looks like Oakland (or Richmond for that matter).
Same here (I was born in RWC ) and no, it dont. That's why I used those examples b/c those areas aren't anywhere near Oakland's and Richmond's levels but if you've never seen any of these areas and just looked at Google Maps they don't look terribly different from each other IMO.

Quote:
EDIT: And idk what you mean by not good choices... it doesn't get much more "ghetto" in Richmond than in North Richmond. as for the oakland shots I could've linked to Seminary or Sobrante Park or Castlemont or any number of areas but they'll just think that its a bay area compton (palm trees and green lawns)
No no, I wasn't saying the locations weren't good examples (or at least those hoods - those particular blocks weren't really the worst in those hoods). I just meant that what was shown there by Google Maps weren't the best examples. North Richmond is one of the worst hoods in this nation, and I'm in no way downplaying that. I just meant that "visually," if you have never been out here before and are used to older, more rundown looking hoods, those shots were not bad looking at all really. Not your fault, just that Google Maps makes it look way nicer than it does in reality. That's all.

I know how rare it is to find any pics of our really rougher areas, especially Oakland or Richmond, but I posted some pics a while back that I think are probably a little bit better examples. Here's a couple of them for SF:

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2008/02/03/ba_sunnydaleoverview04.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-27-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Part of my current hood.

Southside Jamaica, Queens (Southeast NYC).
40.699739,-73.793621 - Google Maps
Now THAT'S a good example of what I call GHETTO! The NYC hoods most people say are so scary usually don't really look all that bad to me (Harlem, LIC/QB, etc.) b/c its usually just a bunch of brick buildings that look the same and aren't all that rundown. That's why I always think that Philly, Baltimore and Camden look much worse. This right here is a VERY GOOD example of what a ghetto looks like and is visually much worse than most of those others (although some of the BK ones look pretty bad like East NY and Bed-Stuy.) But yours has that more desolate look too it that I would definitely be uncomfortable in. No wonder you want out lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City