Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 02:44 PM

593 posts, read 1,761,955 times

Advertisements

I actually grew up on the east coast, but now that I live out West, I'm always sort of taken aback by how flat cities like Chicago, Boston, NYC, etc are.

One the West Coast, hills and mountains (which means different views and vantage points) are such a huge part of the city. San Francisco, Seattle, LA, etc...are all sort of defined by their hills and how they divide and construct the city and its *feel*. Neighborhood like North Beach in San Francisco and Capitol Hill in Seattle are defined by the fact that they perch above downtown.

Even in terms of socio-economics across metro areas, the Hills play a role in differentiating the wealthy from the middle-class or slightly-less-wealthy (Berkeley--Berkeley Hills, Los Altos--Los Altos Hills, etc.)

It just completely changes the complexion of a city/metro area.

Something about the flat grid of east coast cities makes me feel like I can never "get above" the city. It feels more like the Matrix, or something, where you're like an ant in a maze or are stuck in the "system". Don't get me wrong, I love east coast cities but this aspect of it is always jarring from my perspective.

Just to be clear, Im not talking about "urban feel", density, or grittiness, as some West Coast cities are very urban/dense/gritty. Im talking specifically about the feeling of being unable to rise above the city (being in a building doesnt quite count). Like I said, it just makes you feel more "locked in" and completely changes the perspective of what it means to be *in a city*.

Anyone else agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 08:32 PM

293 posts, read 900,266 times
Yeah, good backdrops can really add to a skyline and at this point I couldn't live without mountains. Sorry but i'm not living on the east coast any time soon.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:42 PM

141 posts, read 196,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
I actually grew up on the east coast, but now that I live out West, I'm always sort of taken aback by how flat cities like Chicago, Boston, NYC, etc are.

One the West Coast, hills and mountains (which means different views and vantage points) are such a huge part of the city. San Francisco, Seattle, LA, etc...are all sort of defined by their hills and how they divide and construct the city and its *feel*. Neighborhood like North Beach in San Francisco and Capitol Hill in Seattle are defined by the fact that they perch above downtown.

Even in terms of socio-economics across metro areas, the Hills play a role in differentiating the wealthy from the middle-class or slightly-less-wealthy (Berkeley--Berkeley Hills, Los Altos--Los Altos Hills, etc.)

Something about the flat grid of east coast cities makes me feel like I can never "get above" the city. It feels more like the Matrix, or something, where you're like an ant in a maze or are stuck in the "system". Don't get me wrong, I love east coast cities but this aspect of it is always jarring from my perspective.

Just to be clear, Im not talking about "urban feel", density, or grittiness, as some West Coast cities are very urban/dense/gritty. Im talking specifically about the feeling of being unable to rise above the city (being in a building doesnt quite count). Like I said, it just makes you feel more "locked in" and completely changes the perspective of what it means to be *in a city*.

You need a life if you're in NYC and the "flat" terrain occupies your thoughts.

There are some things (lack of things) in some of those cities that take me back by surprise too. I've lived in very hilly towns, and I've never thought much (or cared) about hilly terrain. It's at the very bottom of what I look for within a city.

Now that I think about it, nearly all of the highest regarded world cities are all flat - New York, London, Paris, Tokyo. Berlin, Singapore, Amsterdam, Rome, Vienna, Sydney etc are too all "flat".

Last edited by CDGJFK; 12-12-2009 at 10:09 PM..

Old 12-12-2009, 08:49 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,951,124 times
NYC isn't exactly all flat either. Boston definitely isn't.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:04 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,690,477 times
Quote:

I know exactly what you mean. Thats one of the reasons why i prefer west coast cities.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
Yeah, good backdrops can really add to a skyline and at this point I couldn't live without mountains. Sorry but i'm not living on the east coast any time soon.
Ooooh, Im gonna have fun with this thread.

There are TONS of East Coast cities that are surrounded by mountains and have some of the hilliest streets you could imagine! And for the record, there are just as many flat cities out West as there are out East.

Lets take a look at how "flat" some East Coast cities are, shall we? Here are just a few examples...

Asheville, NC:
Asheville, NC (Land of the Sky) on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/benpierce/354525727/ - broken link)

Duluth, MN has some of the hilliest streets anywhere in the country:
Flickr Photo Download: West Duluth hillside and skyline view from harbor (http://www.flickr.com/photos/esagor/2970880578/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Claimed to be the steepest street in the world (Pittsburgh, PA):
on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/puellaridarella/2374991648/ - broken link)

Chattanooga, TN:
Flickr Photo Download: Chatanooga (http://www.flickr.com/photos/auyuchuco/2437523794/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Lake Placid, NY:
Flickr Photo Download: Lake Placid downtown (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveherb/3445545968/sizes/o/ - broken link)

Gatlinburg, TN:
Flickr Photo Download: Desolate (Comparitively) Gatlinburg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/38247503@N06/3529876204/sizes/o/ - broken link)

Sunset from the Cabin 2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluemiataman/2081779967/ - broken link)

Old 12-12-2009, 09:19 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:

The West Coast cities are built on a active geological area called the Pacific Ring of Fire. This helps create those hills and mountains. In contrast most other cities are built in flat or relatively flat areas.

To answer your question, I think most people like to have hills in their area. Much more scenic and interesting.

However I am personally glad my own property is mostly flat. A friend of mine on the North Shore cannot not even use half his yard because it is on a steep slope. But on Long Island, the North Shore is certainly more scenic because it is hilly.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:23 PM

293 posts, read 900,266 times
I was talking about backdrops for major cities. Not hills or backdrops for small unheard of cities. I'll admit, some of those pics surprised me but I really was talking about major cities with large skylines. You don't see snow capped peaks in the horizon of Philly or NYC. Thats what i'm talking about.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:25 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ooooh, Im gonna have fun with this thread.

There are TONS of East Coast cities that are surrounded by mountains and have some of the hilliest streets you could imagine! And for the record, there are just as many flat cities out West as there are out East.

Lets take a look at how "flat" some East Coast cities are, shall we? Here are just a few examples...

Asheville, NC:
Asheville, NC (Land of the Sky) on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/benpierce/354525727/ - broken link)

Duluth, MN has some of the hilliest streets anywhere in the country:
Flickr Photo Download: West Duluth hillside and skyline view from harbor (http://www.flickr.com/photos/esagor/2970880578/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Claimed to be the steepest street in the world (Pittsburgh, PA):
on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/puellaridarella/2374991648/ - broken link)

Chattanooga, TN:
Flickr Photo Download: Chatanooga (http://www.flickr.com/photos/auyuchuco/2437523794/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Lake Placid, NY:
Flickr Photo Download: Lake Placid downtown (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveherb/3445545968/sizes/o/ - broken link)

Gatlinburg, TN:
Flickr Photo Download: Desolate (Comparitively) Gatlinburg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/38247503@N06/3529876204/sizes/o/ - broken link)

Sunset from the Cabin 2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluemiataman/2081779967/ - broken link)
Minneosta is in the Midwest and I would consider Tennessee more South then East.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:30 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Minneosta is in the Midwest and I would consider Tennessee more South then East.
Reread the OP. He is comparing the Pacific coast to the East Coast and Midwest. He specifically mentioned Boston, NYC and Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City