Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:08 PM

196 posts, read 614,356 times

Advertisements

That (AWESOME) house above isn't technically in College Hill--it's more-or-less downtown, just below RISD, on the way up to College Hill. It's right above the river, isn't it?

Still, you can definitely see the beginnings of a big hill there! Any pics of Prospect Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 07:36 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
It is close to the river (Thomas St. just east of North Main St., next to the First Baptist Church) so not exactly on the top of the hill, but this technically is part of the College Hill neighborhood. It's just east of the border.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of Prospect Park!

Old 12-20-2009, 01:45 PM

10 posts, read 37,486 times
This thread seems to be about misperception. Omaha Nebraska (wuh, where?), for example, is in the Plains, but the city sprawls out over a pretty hilly area next to the Missouri river, especially the downtown area and the I-80 corridor. Some of the buildings throughout the city (half of Omaha's biggest/tallest buildings aren't even in DT) look taller than they actually are and others look shorter. I'm too lazy to find the pics, though...

Old 12-20-2009, 06:07 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGJFK View Post
I was waiting for your reply. I put "flat" in quotations for a reason.

NYC isn't exactly flat, there are even inclines in Manhattan. I've seen hills in Staten Island...and I've seen some photos of that in Bronx. Vienna and Rome aren't flat either, but compared to the U.S. West Coast the OP was referring to,...they are all flat. RE: Hong Kong, Los Angeles and San Francisco....I said nearly all well regarded cities are flat - not all.

Honestly, I wouldn't want Manhattan to be hilly. It used to be very hilly, but thankfully most of it was shaved off. Walking up hills would kill the urban experience and is nothing more than a nuisance. If you want very hilly terrain, drive 30 miles upstate and enjoy it. Ditto with Paris and London.
Sydney isn't really that flat. The harbourside is bordered by low but steep hills, and you've got the Blue Mountains not far from the city which are pretty scenic. Just north of the city you've got some coastal hills too.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:28 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,897 times
I like the way some Midwest and East Coast cities have a nice combination of flat and hilly terrain. Cities like Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, Boston, and Baltimore are perfect in this sense. The areas that receive a lot of foot traffic are mostly flat which makes it easy and convenient to walk around, but there are still hills in the area that offer nice views and can give you that feeling of being above your surroundings. I remember when I lived in San Francisco, as much as I loved the hills, it could definitely get annoying to walk up and down sometimes.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:33 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
I'm totally cool with coastal cities on either coast (Pittsburgh is probably the western limit of east coast)

The northeast coast tends to be more very green and lush wth vegetation. The southwest just has more interesting terrain.

I'm not to thrilled about this part of the midwest (Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana) Bland and boring. Slightly rolling hills. Ugly vegetation. Even the Ozarks are not real mountains.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:40 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
I think every major East coast cities has hills, right? I don't know one without them. They're just not mountainous

Old 12-20-2009, 09:08 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
North Bergen NJ is the second most hilly city in the U.S. after San Francisco.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:13 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
North Bergen NJ is the second most hilly city in the U.S. after San Francisco.
Is that true? I've been in that area and I believe that.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:15 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
East Coast cities have rolling hills often and small elevation changes. They are not flat. What West Coast cities have is rapid and sudden changes in elevation that happen in a very short distance. Entirely in the city of Los Angeles you go from sea level to 5,300 feet (the largest elevation change of a big city in the country). The highest point on the WHOLE East Coast is 6,684 feet in North Carolina. California has 100 peaks over 13,100 feet (highest in L.A. Metro is 10,000 feet though). The best display of elevation change is that only 76 miles are between the lowest point in the continental USA (Death Valley) and the highest point (Mount Whitney). Imagine a change from 14,500 feet to -232 feet in the same distance between New York City and New Haven, CT.

These sudden changes are frequent out West near development too. My city is at around 400 feet, about 7 miles from the ocean. Just six miles north of our house is a 5,689 foot mountain, so the mountain literally looms over the city because it is so close and so sudden of an increase in height.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City