Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 10:52 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
It doesnt. I just so happens that many boring places are in the midwest, though it has nothing to do with mountains. Snce the most obvious difference to the uncritical mind is the geography, lack of mountains becomes the culprit.

Im not saying though that the repetitive stark landscape of the midwest and hearland doesnt add to it's boringness, it just isnt totally the rule.
There are just as many of "boring" places in the Northeast, West, and South too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 11:16 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
As a midwesterner, and a Chicagoan born and raised, I was freaked out by how flat west coast cities are. You fly in and the only thing you see are single family homes for miles and miles around. Perhaps a small number of skyscrapers here and there.

Although what truly freaked me out was the juxtaposition of skyscrapers next to split level ranches. You can see this in Los Angeles as you approach what passes for "downtown" on the west coast.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:51 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
As a midwesterner, and a Chicagoan born and raised, I was freaked out by how flat west coast cities are. You fly in and the only thing you see are single family homes for miles and miles around. Perhaps a small number of skyscrapers here and there.
And mountains...you see single family homes and a ton of mountains (unless you're in CA's central valley, which is more like Kansas than it is anything else, complete with the occasional Tornado).

Quote:
Although what truly freaked me out was the juxtaposition of skyscrapers next to split level ranches. You can see this in Los Angeles as you approach what passes for "downtown" on the west coast.
That always intrigues me too. San Francisco obviously doesn't really apply here, but I'm always amazed that when I fly into LA...it's a ***** mix of multi-story apartment buildings and big houses with pools. I swear, take all that water that fills the backyard swimming pools in LA and you could create another great lake.

Don't get me wrong, I love the West Coast, and couldn't live without our mountains (grew up in the Sierra Nevada), but sometimes the urban sprawl gets on my nerves. When I drive down from the rural foothills (where I live) and start getting into the valley, I always get a little claustrophobic and antsy: All I can see for miles and miles are suburbs. It's unnerving.

Of course, if you drive out of the population centers, you run in to California's true economic engine: our agriculture. Despite the flatness, I like these places. The folks their are much more like the folks where I come from, and I feel somewhat at home (except for the fact that there are no mountains).

Old 12-26-2009, 11:51 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
And mountains...you see single family homes and a ton of mountains (unless you're in CA's central valley, which is more like Kansas than it is anything else, complete with the occasional Tornado).
Every state in the West has areas so flat that it makes the Midwest look mountainous. Driving through parts of NV, CA, AZ, CO, etc, there are endless stretches of tabletop-flat topography, most of the time w/o any trees or anything, which makes it even more bleak/ugly.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:54 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I think every major East coast cities has hills, right? I don't know one without them. They're just not mountainous
I disagree. Some that are flat as a pancake: Miami, Jax, Savannah, Charleston, Norfolk.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Just because he thinks much of the Midwest is boring makes him a hater?

Face it...to most people the Midwest is boring, save Chicago. Chicago is a world-class city, one of the best in the world. Unfortunately, once you leave Chicagoland it get's extremely...uninteresting? At least from what I've seen. Not to say there aren't interesting spots around, they're just not as prevalent as other areas of the country. From what I've seen, Milwaukee seems like an interesting enough city--though I've never been there.

I've made the cross-country trip from Boston to Denver (both I-70 and I-80), and would always be pumped when we got near Chicago, because it meant I was finally going to see civilization.
Ahhh, there's the problem. Driving across the Midwest on I70 or I 80 WOULD lead one to conclude that "all" of the Midwest was flat and boring. It'd be like driving I75 from Lake City, FL to the burbs of Miami and assuming "all" of FL is boring.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Nothing against South Dakota--there are some nice areas in the Black Hills and Badlands, but that fact is simply not true..
What fact, that western SD is not high desert? Look it up!

Old 12-26-2009, 03:28 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I disagree. Some that are flat as a pancake: Miami, Jax, Savannah, Charleston, Norfolk.
Well yea, but my definition of east coast is the northeast. Otherwise, my comment was very incorrect and you are right!

Old 12-26-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Well yea, but my definition of east coast is the northeast. Otherwise, my comment was very incorrect and you are right!
Touche! I never thought of the SE as East Coast either, but maybe the other posters here who say contrary changed my mind! I admit, after thinking about it, a coast is a coast, so logically any US location bordering the Atlantic is "East Coast", colloquialism not withstanding!

Old 12-26-2009, 03:54 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Definitely true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City