Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 12:33 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
Oh ok, an obviously flat area in a place that consists of thousands of miles of land looks...flat. No way Jose!

It's called the Appalachians. If you can't find picturesque landscapes from the east coast, you are obviously not interested in trying very hard.

The west coast scenery tends to have height over the east coast but that doesn't really mean anything. A lot of the west coast landscapes looks very dry and ugly, something which height is not going to make up for.
Dry and Ugly?!? How could you?!?

I will give you this much, many of the landscapes/mountains out here are dry and barren (Ugly? Not at all). Those types of landscapes have their own merits and are beautiful in a much different way than the more lush or evergreen types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 12:37 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,639,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ooooh, Im gonna have fun with this thread.

There are TONS of East Coast cities that are surrounded by mountains and have some of the hilliest streets you could imagine! And for the record, there are just as many flat cities out West as there are out East.

Lets take a look at how "flat" some East Coast cities are, shall we? Here are just a few examples...

Asheville, NC:
Asheville, NC (Land of the Sky) on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/benpierce/354525727/ - broken link)

Duluth, MN has some of the hilliest streets anywhere in the country:
Flickr Photo Download: West Duluth hillside and skyline view from harbor (http://www.flickr.com/photos/esagor/2970880578/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Claimed to be the steepest street in the world (Pittsburgh, PA):
on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/puellar...la/2374991648/ - broken link)

Chattanooga, TN:
Flickr Photo Download: Chatanooga (http://www.flickr.com/photos/auyuchu...23794/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Lake Placid, NY:
Flickr Photo Download: Lake Placid downtown (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveher...45968/sizes/o/ - broken link)

Gatlinburg, TN:
Flickr Photo Download: Desolate (Comparitively) Gatlinburg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/3824750...76204/sizes/o/ - broken link)

Sunset from the Cabin 2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluemiataman/2081779967/ - broken link)
Duluth! Gatlinburg! Those are some major metros there, son. Nice job.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:15 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,672 times
Well hills are nice. Not all EC cities are flat, generally just the ones in the midwest and the gulf or coastal portions of the south. But then no one considers these cities as EC.

Atlanta has some nice hills. Providence, Rhode Island is also very hilly. Maybe Boston is too, but I never saw any hills in the place I've been too.

Even NYC, I think they have some hills around the Bronx, but it's easy to drive 1-2 hours into upstate NY, and get a bunch of hills, even "mountains"

Old 03-16-2015, 03:30 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post

I will give you this much, many of the landscapes/mountains out here are dry and barren (Ugly? Not at all). Those types of landscapes have their own merits and are beautiful in a much different way than the more lush or evergreen types.
Heck yeah! How gorgeous is that?! Makes me love my west even more when I see images like that posted. Thanks for sharing!

Old 03-16-2015, 04:09 PM

14,015 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
"Mountains"...back East, usually are just "hills" out West.
Mount Washington (NH)is known as one of the most brutal climbs in the World, and debatably the worst climate in the world. Infact someone died claiming it not to long ago because while it was lightly snowing with light winds at the base, at the top there were 135mph sustained winds with a real temp of -36 windchill -90

Old 03-17-2015, 02:40 PM

366 posts, read 404,222 times
Quote:

I find a lot of them ugly. In your 4th picture for example, beautiful water view, but the mountains on the backdrops are quite dried up and not what I have in mind for beautiful at all.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:42 PM

366 posts, read 404,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
"Mountains"...back East, usually are just "hills" out West.
Hills can be quite beautiful, a lot more so than mountains sometimes.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:18 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
I find a lot of them ugly. In your 4th picture for example, beautiful water view, but the mountains on the backdrops are quite dried up and not what I have in mind for beautiful at all.
I can respect your opinion, but they are not "dried up". They are exposed slabs of granite. Too steep to support the accumulation of top soil. Plus they are above the tree line where conditions are too harsh to support plant life.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:24 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,233 times
Quote:
I can respect your opinion, but they are not "dried up". They are exposed slabs of granite. Too steep to support the accumulation of top soil. Plus they are above the tree line where conditions are too harsh to support plant life.
Why would you respect that opinion? It's patently uninformed.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:35 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Mount Washington (NH)is known as one of the most brutal climbs in the World, and debatably the worst climate in the world. Infact someone died claiming it not to long ago because while it was lightly snowing with light winds at the base, at the top there were 135mph sustained winds with a real temp of -36 windchill -90
It is still really short compared to West Coast mountains. What makes Mt. Washington so tough is 1.) brutal climate / swiftly changing climate and 2.) that the trailhead starts at the very base of the mountain, much lower than most West Coast hikes, where the trailhead starts halfway up the mountain.

I actually did hike Mt. Washington, it was brutal because I was totally out of shape. Still did it and ate a chili dog at the top (where it was so foggy I couldn't see 20 feet away). It was a clear day when we got started on the hike, by the time we got halfway down the mountain a thunderstorm hit - luckily we were below the tree line at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City