Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 12:02 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
But what kind of spoiled brat actually says they can't fathom living somewhere flat -- like it's really that amazing?
No.....there's something about seeing Mt. Rainer, or living in a town like Salt Lake City, where mountains are literally in your face...that can stay with you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 AM

269 posts, read 416,617 times
Fellow East Coaster, and I agree.

I wish that West Coast vs. East Coast thread wasnt closed because a bunch of idiots dont know how to properly debate.

The West Coast, or West in general is much more interesting geographically speaking, and its NOT even a contest.

Im saying this as an EC guy, it seems the WC or people who move out West are way more practical. I get so tired of the EC and how it is sometimes.

Whats great about the EC is the cities. Everyone gets caught up in the cities, and to the contrary, whats great about the WC is the geography, and everyoen gets caught up in that.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:38 AM

269 posts, read 416,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
"Mountains"...back East, usually are just "hills" out West.
Bingo.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:01 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
I'm from the East Coast and was weirded about how flat and barren western cities were. How if you were on a hill you could see the entire city below you and how at night it'd be just a spot of light in the middle of blackness.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:18 PM

591 posts, read 782,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I'm from the East Coast and was weirded about how flat and barren western cities were. How if you were on a hill you could see the entire city below you and how at night it'd be just a spot of light in the middle of blackness.
That's the cool thing about flat cities, find a hill over the trees and you will be able to see the Chicago skyline from 30, or even 40 miles away! same thing goes for other Midwestern cities

Old 03-15-2015, 03:35 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
That's the cool thing about flat cities, find a hill over the trees and you will be able to see the Chicago skyline from 30, or even 40 miles away! same thing goes for other Midwestern cities
It isn't like you can't find places like that on the east coast either.

http://www.georgemaronson.com/images...-turkeymtn.jpg

http://phillyskyline.com/misc/wallpaper_090921d.jpg

A popular section of Philly is real hilly:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2791/...657842100b.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0265...ljBAg7rcig!2e0

Old 03-16-2015, 12:48 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
"Mountains"...back East, usually are just "hills" out West.
Well when you climb those "hills" let me know. I'm sure people in Nepal think your "mountains" out west are hills too.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:22 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
40-50 miles inland? The west coast starts to become reminiscent of a lunar landscape. No? Its almost a posion pill. The West was gifted with these incredible highs but it also has a massive amount of wasteland that brings the whole aura crashing downward.

On the otherhand the east coast goes 400 miles wide of uninterrupted picturesque terrain.
Try driving up 95 and the NJ Turnpike and tell me how picturesque it is from DC to Newark. And Rainrock that is so false.
Living out west now and traveling back east (DC/NY alot) I too find many cities flat. Hills in DC that I use to call big now look tiny.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:08 PM

366 posts, read 404,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Try driving up 95 and the NJ Turnpike and tell me how picturesque it is from DC to Newark. And Rainrock that is so false.
Living out west now and traveling back east (DC/NY alot) I too find many cities flat. Hills in DC that I use to call big now look tiny.
Oh ok, an obviously flat area in a place that consists of thousands of miles of land looks...flat. No way Jose!

It's called the Appalachians. If you can't find picturesque landscapes from the east coast, you are obviously not interested in trying very hard.

The west coast scenery tends to have height over the east coast but that doesn't really mean anything. A lot of the west coast landscapes looks very dry and ugly, something which height is not going to make up for.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:14 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Theyre just different places. I notice a lot of east coast posters are obsessed with trees and think it's weird that not a lot of West coast cities are built in a forest. They're just different places with their own natural beauty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City