Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Shopping
Chicago 49 57.65%
San Francisco 29 34.12%
Tie 7 8.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 01:25 PM

71 posts, read 189,886 times

Advertisements

Which city has the best shopping: Chicago or San Francisco?
Categories I'm considering are:
1. Upscale National and International Chains
2. Upscale Independent boutiques
3. Mid-level Price (How much variety?)
4. Number of Shopping Districts
5. Vintage and thrift
6. Home Furnishings and Accessories

I think NYC clearly has the best Shopping in the US, followed by LA. So I’m wonder which city is 3rd best for shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 01:34 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
I frankly think that between these two it's a dead-even tie.

In my opinion, Union Square & surrounding area = Mag Mile and surrounding area in almost every way.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:38 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killaviews View Post
Which city has the best shopping: Chicago or San Francisco?
Categories I'm considering are:
Chicago and SF have pretty much the same stores.

Chicago has a store called Ultimo, SF has a store called Wilkes Bashford. They are both like the Barney's NY for their locals.

Macy's? Im not sure what you mean by mid-level.

Well, pretty much every neighborhood in SF has some sort of local shopping area. Fillmore Street in Pacific Heights imo is more chic than Union Square because its where the local elites go.

Perhaps a Chicagoan can fill us in on their neighborhoods, as Im sure many have shopping amenties.

5. Vintage and thrift
SF is awesome for vintage, thrift and consignment. Ive never done that kind of shopping in Chicago so I can't say.

I'll say Chicago cause I love the home interiors I've seen there so far. LOL

Quote:
I think NYC clearly has the best Shopping in the US, followed by LA.

What sets LA and NY apart is not the high end, but the wholesale shopping imo. NY and LA are untouchable in that respect and I am jealous. LOL

Old 11-17-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Chicago and SF have pretty much the same stores.

Chicago has a store called Ultimo, SF has a store called Wilkes Bashford. They are both like the Barney's NY for their locals.

Macy's? Im not sure what you mean by mid-level.

Well, pretty much every neighborhood in SF has some sort of local shopping area. Fillmore Street in Pacific Heights imo is more chic than Union Square because its where the local elites go.

Perhaps a Chicagoan can fill us in on their neighborhoods, as Im sure many have shopping amenties.

5. Vintage and thrift
SF is awesome for vintage, thrift and consignment. Ive never done that kind of shopping in Chicago so I can't say.

I'll say Chicago cause I love the home interiors I've seen there so far. LOL

What sets LA and NY apart is not the high end, but the wholesale shopping imo. NY and LA are untouchable in that respect and I am jealous. LOL
Pretty solid, imo.

I'm guessing that the Chicago equivalent to Fillmore Street would be Oak Street, even though it is right around the corner from Michigan Ave.

I'm sure a Chicago local will correct me if I'm off a little on this.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:06 PM

71 posts, read 189,886 times
I view Oak Street (and Rush and Walton) as an extension of Michigan Ave. It is a different vibe, but it's just so darn close. Fillmore might be more like Bucktown/Wicker Park or Lincoln Park's Armitage corridor.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:07 PM

203 posts, read 689,409 times
no way a midwestern town wins this lol...I have been to union square and its vibe is incredible...all the hustle and bustle

Old 11-17-2009, 04:37 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
no way a midwestern town wins this lol...
What ignorance.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
What ignorance.
Exactly. Michigan Ave. & environs can hold its own against any shopping district out there, including 5th Ave.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:58 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,961,788 times
Having lived in both cities, Chicago definitely has better shopping than San Francisco when it comes to apparel, accessories, shoes, and home furnishings. One thing that I miss about San Francisco is their music and book stores. The music and book stores in San Francisco are awesome. Still, neither cities can really hold their own against New York or LA.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:26 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
If I cannot find it, buy it, order it or eat it in Chicago I can't have it. I do not dislike California one little bit, but I have yet to find Liver Dumpling Soup or Amonium Bicarbonate. Much to my delight I did find the best Cobb Salad in the world in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City