Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which "big" city in the Southeast is the friendliest?
Atlanta, GA 25 32.89%
Orlando, FL 2 2.63%
Raleigh-Durham, NC 13 17.11%
Mobile, AL 14 18.42%
Miami, FL 6 7.89%
Charlotte, NC 16 21.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:15 PM

815 posts, read 2,136,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
There are a lot of NY'ers in Charlotte.

But, I've never heard anyone from NC say or wish that they were from NYC. Not one.

Many NC'ians are proud of being from NC.

So I guess the people who I met on my brief time in NC, and the people I went to school with from NC were aberrations??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 02:31 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Seeing as though you live there I’m sure you know, and seeing as though I’ve only been to Charlotte once (thank god) and High Point once (thanks to the one on high again) and really never done anything except drive thru the rest of the state on my way somewhere else, I’m sure your right. But the perception I always had about NC was that the people were wanna be NY'ers. And to be honest the little bit of time I have spent up there, and my time in college with allot of NC residents did not dissuade me from that line of thinking. I actually have caught people who were born and raised in North Carolina, either lying about where they were born, or putting on an accent and trying to talk like they were born in NYC. And it hilarious because the only times I have seen that happen, it has been with someone from North Carolina. That was like the running joke when I was at Howard U up in DC, that all North Carolina people wish they were from NYC.
Man, you talking about lil college kids and teeny boppers? Dude, you gotta come better than that. I live in the adult world and deal with adults, not 18-year-old's.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Man, you talking about lil college kids and teeny boppers? Dude, you gotta come better than that. I live in the adult world and deal with adults, not 18-year-old's.

Dude however you may feel about my opinion, it’s still my opinion. And maybe you missed when I said it, but I'll say it again, the extent of my dealings with NC people has been the small amount of time I spent up there personally, and my interactions with NC people in college (of which there were allot actually). But still, with that said, I have met not just one, but quite a few NC natives that tried to false claim or talk like they were from NY (one of omy roommates freshman year was one of them). Maybe those were just the NC folks who went to HU, but still from my experiences with NC people, that’s what I have seen. At HU people from Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Texas tended to gravitate towards one another. The accent thing and false claiming NY were one of the main reasons why people from those states didn’t hang out with people from NC, basically they were viewed as fake. Not saying its right, and I’m not saying I’m right, I’m simply relaying to you what I have experienced personally. And don’t act like you have not heard that before, I’ve heard other people say that as well

Old 11-09-2009, 03:35 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Atlanta has more transplants, but they seem to come here and blend in with Atlanta culture more than transplants do in Charlotte. Up there NYC transplants are seemingly in vogue and even people who are originally from Charlotte try and act like a newly arrived transplant from NYC. IMO thats makes the real transplants more brash and in your face. We dont act the same in Atlanta, we make them conform to us. We dont conform to them.
I love that, and that is somewhat true about Charlotte. The people in Charlotte that try to conform to NYC transplants are the ones living in the outer suburbs(concord, kannapolis, etc, etc), but in the city of Charlotte people act like North Carolinians and don't play that NYC mess.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:09 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
Quote:
So I guess the people who I met on my brief time in NC, and the people I went to school with from NC were aberrations??
Not saying that they were aberrations, just saying I lived there for 10 or so yrs, and never heard NC'ans talking (or trying to talk or act) like they were from NYC. In fact, quite the opposite.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:13 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,597 times
I think all of you are right about Charlotte and the NY transplants.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Dude however you may feel about my opinion, it’s still my opinion. And maybe you missed when I said it, but I'll say it again, the extent of my dealings with NC people has been the small amount of time I spent up there personally, and my interactions with NC people in college (of which there were allot actually). But still, with that said, I have met not just one, but quite a few NC natives that tried to false claim or talk like they were from NY (one of omy roommates freshman year was one of them). Maybe those were just the NC folks who went to HU, but still from my experiences with NC people, that’s what I have seen. At HU people from Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Texas tended to gravitate towards one another. The accent thing and false claiming NY were one of the main reasons why people from those states didn’t hang out with people from NC, basically they were viewed as fake. Not saying its right, and I’m not saying I’m right, I’m simply relaying to you what I have experienced personally. And don’t act like you have not heard that before, I’ve heard other people say that as well
The issue here, though, is that this is an extremely limited subset of the NC population. I mean you're taking young people who are in their formative years and fetishize everything "big city" and are trying to extrapolate this to NC as a whole, and Charlotte in particular. I doesn't work like that. My sister attends an HBCU in SC and had a roommate from Charleston and all of a sudden started talking with a bit of a Geechee accent; I was like, "Stop talking like that!" That type of stuff is normal on a college campus. But like I said, in the real world, among adults, this couldn't be further from the truth at all. Native Charlotteans are getting harder to find, but the ones who do are Southern through and through and they certainly don't try and pretend they are from somewhere they aren't. Now some of them act too big for their britches sometimes concerning Charlotte's status relative to the rest of the Carolinas (especially SC) and I have to knock them down a peg or two, but that's another story, LOL. The funny thing is that such people aren't even originally from Charlotte itself, but the surrounding podunk towns like Kannapolis, Shelby, etc.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The issue here, though, is that this is an extremely limited subset of the NC population. I mean you're taking young people who are in their formative years and fetishize everything "big city" and are trying to extrapolate this to NC as a whole, and Charlotte in particular. I doesn't work like that. My sister attends an HBCU in SC and had a roommate from Charleston and all of a sudden started talking with a bit of a Geechee accent; I was like, "Stop talking like that!" That type of stuff is normal on a college campus. But like I said, in the real world, among adults, this couldn't be further from the truth at all. Native Charlotteans are getting harder to find, but the ones who do are Southern through and through and they certainly don't try and pretend they are from somewhere they aren't. Now some of them act too big for their britches sometimes concerning Charlotte's status relative to the rest of the Carolinas (especially SC) and I have to knock them down a peg or two, but that's another story, LOL. The funny thing is that such people aren't even originally from Charlotte itself, but the surrounding podunk towns like Kannapolis, Shelby, etc.

LOL...while I have always been very interested in Geechie culture, I must admit that their accent is horrible.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
LOL...while I have always been very interested in Geechie culture, I must admit that their accent is horrible.
I don't think so; you've just got to get used to it. I just hated when my sister did it because it wasn't authentic. That's part of my roots, and I kind of hate to see the Lowcountry natives, particularly the young people, act as though they are ashamed of their history and heritage.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:12 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
I think all of you are right about Charlotte and the NY transplants.

Charlotte has definitely changed the last several years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City