Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which "big" city in the Southeast is the friendliest?
Atlanta, GA 25 32.89%
Orlando, FL 2 2.63%
Raleigh-Durham, NC 13 17.11%
Mobile, AL 14 18.42%
Miami, FL 6 7.89%
Charlotte, NC 16 21.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:11 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
What a great comment.

It's comments like this as to why Chick Fil A and the deep southern culture still dominates Atlanta.
And that's fine. Chick Fil A is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 10:27 PM

937 posts, read 927,025 times
The only thing that sucks about Atlanta, is that you always want Chik Fil A on a Sunday when it's not open. Other than that friendliest city I've ever visited... Charlotte's the city that has too many transplants if you ask me.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
The only thing that sucks about Atlanta, is that you always want Chik Fil A on a Sunday when it's not open. Other than that friendliest city I've ever visited... Charlotte's the city that has too many transplants if you ask me.
Atlanta has more than us.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:45 AM

937 posts, read 927,025 times
I don't think so... I'll have to look into that some more

Old 11-09-2009, 08:07 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Riiiiiight...I'm the ONLY one. LOL!

Where do you get your material? It's hilarious!
Everyone else on here already said (including those that live here/have lived here) that Orlando isnt Southern.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
I don't think so... I'll have to look into that some more
The Atlanta metro area is over three times as large as our's, but you somehow think that Charlotte has more transplants? LOL, ok.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:06 AM

815 posts, read 2,136,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The Atlanta metro area is over three times as large as our's, but you somehow think that Charlotte has more transplants? LOL, ok.
Atlanta has more transplants, but they seem to come here and blend in with Atlanta culture more than transplants do in Charlotte. Up there NYC transplants are seemingly in vogue and even people who are originally from Charlotte try and act like a newly arrived transplant from NYC. IMO thats makes the real transplants more brash and in your face. We dont act the same in Atlanta, we make them conform to us. We dont conform to them.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Atlanta has more transplants, but they seem to come here and blend in with Atlanta culture more than transplants do in Charlotte. Up there NYC transplants are seemingly in vogue and even people who are originally from Charlotte try and act like a newly arrived transplant from NYC. IMO thats makes the real transplants more brash and in your face. We dont act the same in Atlanta, we make them conform to us. We dont conform to them.
This is the craziest thing I've ever read and I can assure you as one who lives here, this is hardly the case. Native Charlotteans trying to act like "a newly arrived transplant from NYC"? ROFL!!! The only way the transplants are "in your face" here is when it comes to loyalty to their sports teams back home, and that's pretty much how it is anywhere. If anything, it seems that there is more of a backlash in Atlanta by transplanted Northerners. It seems that a thread pops up regularly in the Atlanta forum about how somebody moved there from up North and how it's slow and the people are different and how it's not what they're used to and how they want to go back home. That doesn't happen nearly as often in the Charlotte forum. I think that's because people who move here have a more realistic expectation about this city, while too many people mistakenly think of Atlanta as a southern version of NYC and when they arrive they see how mistaken they were.

Honestly, while we definitely have our fair share of transplants, that whole phenomenon tends to get overblown anyway. The majority of people who move here do so from other areas of the Carolinas and the South in general.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:50 PM

815 posts, read 2,136,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
This is the craziest thing I've ever read and I can assure you as one who lives here, this is hardly the case. Native Charlotteans trying to act like "a newly arrived transplant from NYC"? ROFL!!! The only way the transplants are "in your face" here is when it comes to loyalty to their sports teams back home, and that's pretty much how it is anywhere. If anything, it seems that there is more of a backlash in Atlanta by transplanted Northerners. It seems that a thread pops up regularly in the Atlanta forum about how somebody moved there from up North and how it's slow and the people are different and how it's not what they're used to and how they want to go back home. That doesn't happen nearly as often in the Charlotte forum. I think that's because people who move here have a more realistic expectation about this city, while too many people mistakenly think of Atlanta as a southern version of NYC and when they arrive they see how mistaken they were.

Honestly, while we definitely have our fair share of transplants, that whole phenomenon tends to get overblown anyway. The majority of people who move here do so from other areas of the Carolinas and the South in general.

Seeing as though you live there I’m sure you know, and seeing as though I’ve only been to Charlotte once (thank god) and High Point once (thanks to the one on high again) and really never done anything except drive thru the rest of the state on my way somewhere else, I’m sure your right. But the perception I always had about NC was that the people were wanna be NY'ers. And to be honest the little bit of time I have spent up there, and my time in college with allot of NC residents did not dissuade me from that line of thinking. I actually have caught people who were born and raised in North Carolina, either lying about where they were born, or putting on an accent and trying to talk like they were born in NYC. And it hilarious because the only times I have seen that happen, it has been with someone from North Carolina. That was like the running joke when I was at Howard U up in DC, that all North Carolina people wish they were from NYC.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:09 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Seeing as though you live there I’m sure you know, and seeing as though I’ve only been to Charlotte once (thank god) and High Point once (thanks to the one on high again) and really never done anything except drive thru the rest of the state on my way somewhere else, I’m sure your right. But the perception I always had about NC was that the people were wanna be NY'ers. And to be honest the little bit of time I have spent up there, and my time in college with allot of NC residents did not dissuade me from that line of thinking. I actually have caught people who were born and raised in North Carolina, either lying about where they were born, or putting on an accent and trying to talk like they were born in NYC. And it hilarious because the only times I have seen that happen, it has been with someone from North Carolina. That was like the running joke when I was at Howard U up in DC, that all North Carolina people wish they were from NYC.
There are a lot of NY'ers in Charlotte.

But, I've never heard anyone from NC say or wish that they were from NYC. Not one.

Many NC'ians are proud of being from NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City