Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region would you prefer to live in?
Midwest 249 60.44%
Down South 163 39.56%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:47 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
That's a great shot, and I don't want to minimize what you guys have. But there's just something about the Southern coastal culture (which includes cuisine) and ecosystems that I love that the Great Lakes don't have. I'm from South Carolina and have roots in the Lowcountry, so I suppose I put a bigger premium on that sort of thing than others.
Totally understandable!!

I don't have any problem with people having a preference from the southern coasts. There's certainly a lot of things down there that just don't exist or aren't the same up here.

I just get frustrated when I hear that they are "just lakes" from people who've never been here. They are so much more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 11:01 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
No you really don't.
are you kidding me? your not fooling anyone. the south does have some of the best beaches in the country (south beach for example). And yes I have been to the great lakes, it's just not the same as being on a real beach of an ocean. I do love Chicago though, both regions have cool cities. I would say the south had a LITTLE bit more to offer tho. more ppl, more cities, more diverse.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:07 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Landlocked, you mean like Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, and West Virginia are all landlocked?
I'm speaking of entire regions, not individual states. Isn't this thread about two particular regions?

Quote:
The Atlantic Ocean is a 4 hour drive from Charlotte, while Lake Michigan is about a 5 minute walk from my apartment in Milwaukee. It looks like I'm actually the one who has "quick and easy access to the coast."
Two totally different types of coasts are in view here. I don't know of any Great Lakes coastal enclaves that have the biological variety, culture, and cuisine that so many Southern coastal cities have. It's about much, much more than just access to a shoreline.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:55 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
^^ All I hear is access to the shoreline... LOL! I've lived on the east coast. I never had good access in any location I lived. The majority of the south doesn't have good beach access. I'm not sure if you're trolling or not?

You don't even live near an ocean. I think sailing, dinner on the docks, fishing, going to the beach, etc is more "water" cultured then you posting about being on a "coast" from Charlotte.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
are you kidding me? your not fooling anyone. the south does have some of the best beaches in the country (south beach for example). And yes I have been to the great lakes, it's just not the same as being on a real beach of an ocean. I do love Chicago though, both regions have cool cities. I would say the south had a LITTLE bit more to offer tho. more ppl, more cities, more diverse.
Tubing, water-skiing, jetskiing, etc are all pretty much the same no matter where you live I actually was out on the water far more often then in Florida, NYC, or Wash DC. Pretty much everyday for 4 months of the year. So ya, the ocean looks amazing from a lot of places, but physically going out on the water is easier and more practical in the Lake most of the time.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:24 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default I am from the NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
The South will never win. I can't believe you guys are trying to pump the Great Lakes up like they are something oh so special, the South has the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean, we got the best beaches in the country, and our cities are just better. Other than Chicago, Minneapolis, and Columbus the MW has nada.
I have lived in both Indiana and Florida. I will take the Midwest in a heartbeat compared to here.

Many of us don't like year round heat and humidity, or beaches for that matter.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
^^ All I hear is access to the shoreline... LOL! I've lived on the east coast. I never had good access in any location I lived. The majority of the south doesn't have good beach access. I'm not sure if you're trolling or not?

You don't even live near an ocean. I think sailing, dinner on the docks, fishing, going to the beach, etc is more "water" cultured then you posting about being on a "coast" from Charlotte.
You probably should have read an earlier post or two to get where I was going with that. I'm originally from South Carolina, two counties north of Charleston. I grew up going to Charleston and Myrtle Beach often, and when I go back home, we sometimes go to Charleston. You wouldn't understand anything about the seafood cuisine (e.g., gumbo, shrimp and grits, etc.), the smell of the salt marsh in the air, the grass baskets made by the Gullah women, the occasional sight of dolphins, etc. that I sometimes pine for, and when I want that, I've got pretty good access to it only being a few hours away, an easy drive that makes for a good day/weekend trip. You can't get anything like that whatsoever along the Great Lakes, so a 3.5 hr trip to Charleston from Charlotte is much, much closer than a 12 hour trip from anywhere in the Midwest. And on top of that, when I actually want to get in the water, I can do that as well.

No trolling here; it's about personal preferences. If you don't share mine, that's fine, but the Great Lakes doesn't provide things like I just described and that's just a fact.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You probably should have read an earlier post or two to get where I was going with that. I'm originally from South Carolina, two counties north of Charleston. I grew up going to Charleston and Myrtle Beach often, and when I go back home, we sometimes go to Charleston. You wouldn't understand anything about the seafood cuisine (e.g., gumbo, shrimp and grits, etc.), the smell of the salt marsh in the air, the grass baskets made by the Gullah women, the occasional sight of dolphins, etc. that I sometimes pine for, and when I want that, I've got pretty good access to it only being a few hours away, an easy drive that makes for a good day/weekend trip. You can't get anything like that whatsoever along the Great Lakes, so a 3.5 hr trip to Charleston from Charlotte is much, much closer than a 12 hour trip from anywhere in the Midwest. And on top of that, when I actually want to get in the water, I can do that as well.

No trolling here; it's about personal preferences. If you don't share mine, that's fine, but the Great Lakes doesn't provide things like I just described and that's just a fact.
Yes, I do. Having grew up in Hawaii and spent years on the east coast, I'm pretty familiar with living seaside. I'm simply saying that people on the Great Lakes live water oriented lives as well... and there certainly is a lifestyle there too. And grass baskets is no where near being synonymous with Coastal living, I'm sorry. I grew up having Luau's by the sea... but 99% of the people in the rest of the world living on the coast didn't... get my point? And implying that someone doesn't know about a certain culture is ridiculous over the internet

Old 08-17-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Yes, I do. Having grew up in Hawaii and spent years on the east coast, I'm pretty familiar with living seaside. I'm simply saying that people on the Great Lakes live water oriented lives as well... and there certainly is a lifestyle there too. And grass baskets is no where near being synonymous with Coastal living, I'm sorry. I grew up having Luau's by the sea... but 99% of the people in the rest of the world living on the coast didn't... get my point? And implying that someone doesn't know about a certain culture is ridiculous over the internet
You think just living on any old coast means that you understand the peculiarities of every coastal area? Apparently that's what you think and it's not at all true. It's not simply about living "water-oriented lives." People who live next to small man-made lakes can live "water-oriented lives" to a degree, but that's a far cry from what I'm talking about. And you obviously missed the whole point about the grass baskets that I mentioned, as I cited that within the context of a coastal subculture that's simply not present in the Great Lakes region. It's one of those peculiarities I'm talking about that's only present in the South--which goes back to my preference of the South as a region over the Midwest. You continue to prove too much, which only reinforces my particular point.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You think just living on any old coast means that you understand the peculiarities of every coastal area? Apparently that's what you think and it's not at all true. It's not simply about living "water-oriented lives." People who live next to small man-made lakes can live "water-oriented lives" to a degree, but that's a far cry from what I'm talking about. And you obviously missed the whole point about the grass baskets that I mentioned, as I cited that within the context of a coastal subculture that's simply not present in the Great Lakes region. It's one of those peculiarities I'm talking about that's only present in the South--which goes back to my preference of the South as a region over the Midwest. You continue to prove too much, which only reinforces my particular point.
Now you're just flipping my words. You're pretty ridiculous how you think everybody implies certain things. LOL! I understand your whole reasoning behind talking about the basket weaving subculture, that's beyond the point. I was trying to get you intact with reality. I'm not even going to debate with you, because it's like arguing with an automated message machine. It seems like you read posts, and interpret them completely wrong. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City