Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region would you prefer to live in?
Midwest 249 60.44%
Down South 163 39.56%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Personally, I am tired of the old claims about the South still surfacing today. We are not a perfect region, nor have we ever claimed to be, but we are not full of inbred rednecks either. We are a diverse people from a diverse geographical region of the United States. We have the oldest mountains in the US, the beaches with the whitest sand, a college football tradition of winning, and people who still smile when they meet a stranger. Whether we are better than the Midwest or not is debatable, but the South is unique and proud. I choose to live in the South and could not imagine living anywhere else. I wonder how many of the posters on here have truly visited the regions they disparage. I have visited the Midwest many times, and Chicago is one of my favorite cities in the world. Next to Dublin, it is the one I enjoy the most. This thread wants to know where we would choose, and everyone has the right to be proud of their region, and they should be.
Go, Dawgs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 07:31 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Go, Dawgs!
Thanks, but they are my second choice. Bama all the way; I went to school there, and UA's tradition won me over. Roll Tide!

Old 10-16-2013, 07:37 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And Memphis looks really, really different from Asheville, NC. But both of them manage to be "Southern."

Dallas is definitely southern in character. The food, the drawl, the heat, the humidity, the ties of history, and, well, GEOGRAPHY place Dallas, and much of the rest of the state, squarely in the South.
Hey, you can have Dallas, the Midwest isn't envious and I doubt the Southwest is either. Again, we're comparing two vastly different sizes of regions so when you show that the "South" has like 15 "great" cities in it compared to the North's 10 you're comparing two insanely different swaths of America, that's all.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Did I really say the North sucks?Sure I never eluded that ot did but somehow you wanna LIE and say I did. I wasn't speaking about YOU specifically, I was using a generalization. Do you know what a generalization is?
Its SOO obvious that you are not even hearing what I have said.In every American city,the schools are better and crime is much lower in the suburbs than the city. NO. In Minneapolis for instance the schools are literally better than some suburbs. Again, we're talking about cities only, per the demand of some Southern poster.

Yet somehow you have come to the conclusion that even though the city CORE of Atlanta)NOT the SUBURBS),is growing faster than the suburbs where prices of houses and rent are more than at least 20% less than the city.
Really?Your THEORY about how Midwestern cities never had serious decline is just beyond reasonable and logical thought.I wonder where the Rust Belt is?Oh yeh..part of it is in the MIDWEST!! What theory is this I said? I don't recall such a theory. All I said is that chart shows which cities were growing the fastest, and all except NYC were recovering from devastating foreclosure crises and all-time low housing values (relative to the time value of money and inflation).

Not that it matters because your other points were WRONG.Where does it even say that this is the CITY of Atlanta and not the MSA in that link? I thought people were saying OVER AND OVER that we're comparing CITIES and not SUBURBS/METROS. I don't use City vs. City comparisons often in most topics but some on this thread claimed that's what this was: City vs. City.....not my call.
You ignoring the fact that the city is BOOMING all over the city is just mind boggling!Even the hood is seeing the some small development. I never denied ATL was growing -- I know it is. I'm saying growth does not equate to greatness, just like food sales does not equate to greatness. Growth DOES equate to value, however, so you could say Atlanta is a very valuable city, moreso than most Midwestern cities, if you define value as "bang for your buck".
All I hear from you is basically people dont move in good areas in

I said their budget was $3500 because they were from Portland.Once they realized they did not HAVE to spend as much.THEN they looked in a lower range.They could not find ANYTHING in $2000-$2500 or the $3500 range.The market demand has been too hot before they could get back with the owners. I need to buy housing in Atlanta and rent it out to Portlanders -- sounds like highway robbery!

Stop trying to be so quick to dispel something without taking the time to decipher what was said.Something I was very clear about. I am very good at analyzing information and coming up with conclusions quickly.

I don't even disagree with the Midwest has on average a better quality of living.Its easy to see that overall it does.I loved Madison,Fond du Lac,Appleton,Minnetonka,Lake Forest and a plethora of other smaller cuties.The Midwest excels in especially smaller to medium sized cities.

However their largest cities are lagging behind cities like Atlanta,Charlotte,Nashville,Tampa,Houston,Dallas etc.. How so? Growth -- Yes, they aren't growing as quickly. Black population -- most of them were quite black, especially 20-40 years ago, but none are as black as the South, no. What about: Jobs/Unemployment? Schools/Educated populace? GDP/Economy? Urban fabric/Walkable communities? Parks & Recreation? I'd say the Midwest does well in those categories, and I don't think those categories hold a relatively small weight (quite the opposite). If I had to choose between weather, population growth, and black population vs. the amenities I listed for the Midwest I'd choose the latter, personally (and I realize that's a personal preference).
Responses in red.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You say this but yet your post suggest that somehow all those states still don't add up in the different areas of living in each region.
How its that possible with the SHEER number of states being so much more than the South.Also negletting that the cities are more larger cities in the Midwest.How does that work?
I'm sorry, I don't speak your language apparently.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Northern Wisconsin is often colder than most of southern Canada and it can get down to -50 to -60F air temperature in more severe arctic outbreaks.

But Northern WI isn't colder than Southwestern/Western Ontario, due North of Wisconsin above Lake Superior.

No place in Canada due North of anyplace in the U.S. is WARMER than the U.S. Not Windsor to Detroit, not Toronto to Buffalo, not Winnepeg to Minneapolis (or Fargo), not Calgary to Denver, not Montreal to NYC. Toronto may be milder in the winter than Minneapolis, but those are different regions. I don't understand what your point is but if you're comparing those two regions you have to at least compare Canadian and U.S. cities within those regions (East, Midwest, West, etc.).

Old 10-16-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
What do you mean by old traditions?

Take a look at the latest census numbers. The south is growing faster than the midwest,even outside of those few choice metros.
Growth does not equate to greatness. How many times do we have to say this? Is McDonalds the greatest restaurant? Are elephants the greatest land mammal? Is cancer great? Is NYC not great because it's not growing the fastest?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:03 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
I'm posting this again because you need it. If a state has a geographic location in the south and was historically a confederate state it's "down south". Basically the states that states that blacks fled from during slavery and Jim Crow. They were also the main battleground states during the Civil Rights movement.
Ok well neither WV or KY were part of the confederacy so why are they considered Southern? Geographic location? Both states sit pretty much parallel with Mo, Il and parts of In and Oh.

So some Southerners consider border states as "down south" and others don't. Kind of hard to have an argument if you all can't decide which states are Southern and which are not.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:34 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Take a look at the latest census numbers. The south is growing faster than the midwest,even outside of those few choice metros.
Cities in western North Dakota are growing faster than the majority of southern cities. That fact does not make North Dakota a great place nor does it equate to the state's cities being better. That said, your statement is worthless.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:37 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Ok well neither WV or KY were part of the confederacy so why are they considered Southern? Geographic location? Both states sit pretty much parallel with Mo, Il and parts of In and Oh.

So some Southerners consider border states as "down south" and others don't. Kind of hard to have an argument if you all can't decide which states are Southern and which are not.
I pesonally would omit WV, Kentucky, Virginia, and most of Texas as the south. Houston and extreme eastern Texas is the only part of the state that is southern IMHO. DC, and El Paso TX sure as hell is not the south to people in the deep south. DC has more in common with NYC and Philly than any southern city. El Paso has more in common with desert southwest cities than anything in the south.

The map of the deep south is more like this with maybe extreme eastern Texas included.

Road Trip - South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City