Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 08:49 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
just look at it and post what you think of compton. Look around other areas too.

compton - Google Maps
Visually I'd rather live in Compton over South Jamaica (which isn't that bad looking overall). Crime-wise I wouldn't like to live in Compton or South Jamaica (where I currently live), I'll take Carson anyday lol.

If they cut down on the gangs in Compton I could see it being a desirable place to live (yes I've been there).

Old 10-19-2009, 08:56 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,633,452 times
Quote:
just look at it and post what you think of compton. Look around other areas too.

compton - Google Maps
Compton is ghetto.. but looks wise, it doesn't compare to most.

YouTube - Chiln n da valley
da valley in Cleveland

Old 10-20-2009, 09:58 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,821,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
LOL Murder RATE is determined by Homicides per 100,000 residents. 20.5 per 100,000 is WRONG because the websites you are looking at are dated and have HALF the total homicides Cleveland has had in the last couple of years. What the F are you telling me to look at the rate for? It's not about what I've heard. It's about what I've read. And last number I saw was 2007 when Cleveland had 142 homicides. I don't care what you tell me...
Fort Myers is NOT worse than Cleveland. I've lived in Youngstown and Cleveland.. in bad areas -- and both are far worse than Ft. Myers. Heck, Youngstown has twice as many homicides and is practically the same size.

What you are really having trouble with grasping is this; you are basing "Ghetto" off of inflated numbers. Inflated you ask? Why yes.. Fort Myers is so small that the "rates" look bigger (they also are higher considering the homicides are incorrect). There are neighborhoods in Cleveland with 60,000 people that are MUCH worse than Ft. Myers. Cleveland's GHETTO is so large, that there multiple areas with about the same population as Ft. Myers that had 25+ Homicides.

Oh and Cops also shot in Cleveland. A TV show called "Crime 360" features homicides in Cleveland.. watch it!

I just don't need you to tell me Ft. Myers is worse. In the HOOD, crimes don't get reported. Needless to say, your theory is pretty pathetic. It's like saying that since NYC has a lower homicide and assault rate then Ft. Myers and Cleveland that it doesn't have bad neighborhoods. The reality? NYC has far worse areas than Ft. Myers. Heck, Lorain, OH just west of Cleveland used to have around 15 homicides... it's still not worse then Cleveland hoods.

And yeah, Ft. Myers is newer and doesn't have areas like the one below:

YouTube - Walken threw r i p low

Why? Because Ft. Myers doesn't have hoods of 2 sq miles with 20+ murders a year.

Here's one site with some of 2007 crime in each district... (6 districts in Cleveland = about 72,000 a district).

Cleveland Crime

Just please don't tell me what's ghetto.. I've lived there, I've experienced it. No it's nothing to be proud about.. which is exactly why people like you need to shut up.. I want people to know Cleveland's ghettos problems so that they can change. The east side of Cleveland is one of the worst in the nations and is filled with poverty and abandoned homes, it needs to be changed. Why would I not want it to be recognized? Do I want people to turn a blind eye to the shootings everyday? Do I want people to turn a blind eye to the children starving? Heck no. Cleveland has awesome areas, the metro is one of the safest.. but it also have some of the most decrepit, GHETTO, and backwards areas in the nation that I've only seen in a few other cities... (Like West Palm Beach vs Ft Myers).
Your obviously nuts, clueless, and stubborn to take hold of facts beyond you own bias mentality.
Lets say For Myers was the same size as Cleveland with the same murder rate, and same everything rate.. Fort Myers would then be un-undeniably worst than your beloved Cleveland... which shouldn't bother you, but I guess your love for violence, corruption, run down neighborhoods, and a lack of education is is making it seem otherwise.

I honestly can care less about Cleveland and Fort Myers, but if the two cities were on a list of dangerous cities, don't be surprised to see Fort Myers ranked higher than Cleveland.
And it's not like Cleveland is the only city that doesn't calculate all of it's crime rates, I'm sure Fort Myers is worst than its rates actually are also along with every other US city... Cleveland isn't any different when it comes to records buddy.
And do you even know the meaning of crime rates? Numbers go up with the size of the population, so NYC having 500 murders is a lot, but the chance of you or me getting murdered in NYC is lower than the chance of you or me being murdered in Fort Myers.
NYC is the safest major city in the country, but it's murder count is higher than every city in the country.. RATES ARE HOW YOU JUDGE A CITIES CRIME, not numbers.

If Fort Myers had the same number of murders as Cleveland, the murder rate would be about 170 murders per 100K which would be beyond the worst murder rate in the country, does that make sense to you?
Damn, you need to know what your talkiing about before you make yourself look ridiculous.

If there was a city of recurring 10 people and 1 person was murdered every year, that to you means nothing if your so wrapped around numbers, but that means you had 10% chance of being murdered and a rate of 10,000 murders per 100K in that town, that would make that town of 10 people the most dangerous city in the nation (if it came down to murders)
A cities crime is only higher than another if the chance of a crime is higher.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:46 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,542,987 times
Quote:

compton - Google Maps
get rid of the palm trees and that could be the white horse pike in jersey

Old 10-20-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Your obviously nuts, clueless, and stubborn to take hold of facts beyond you own bias mentality.
Lets say For Myers was the same size as Cleveland with the same murder rate, and same everything rate.. Fort Myers would then be un-undeniably worst than your beloved Cleveland... which shouldn't bother you, but I guess your love for violence, corruption, run down neighborhoods, and a lack of education is is making it seem otherwise.

I honestly can care less about Cleveland and Fort Myers, but if the two cities were on a list of dangerous cities, don't be surprised to see Fort Myers ranked higher than Cleveland.
And it's not like Cleveland is the only city that doesn't calculate all of it's crime rates, I'm sure Fort Myers is worst than its rates actually are also along with every other US city... Cleveland isn't any different when it comes to records buddy.
And do you even know the meaning of crime rates? Numbers go up with the size of the population, so NYC having 500 murders is a lot, but the chance of you or me getting murdered in NYC is lower than the chance of you or me being murdered in Fort Myers.
NYC is the safest major city in the country, but it's murder count is higher than every city in the country.. RATES ARE HOW YOU JUDGE A CITIES CRIME, not numbers.

If Fort Myers had the same number of murders as Cleveland, the murder rate would be about 170 murders per 100K which would be beyond the worst murder rate in the country, does that make sense to you?
Damn, you need to know what your talkiing about before you make yourself look ridiculous.

If there was a city of recurring 10 people and 1 person was murdered every year, that to you means nothing if your so wrapped around numbers, but that means you had 10% chance of being murdered and a rate of 10,000 murders per 100K in that town, that would make that town of 10 people the most dangerous city in the nation (if it came down to murders)
A cities crime is only higher than another if the chance of a crime is higher.
Its more complex than that, NYC's "reported" murder rate is about 6 per 100k but let's face it there are certain areas are in the 20's/30's/40's per 100k and there are some at around 0 per 100k. The chance of being murdered is higher in the rougher areas and on top of that if you are Black or Hispanic the murder rate goes even higher than that. That's why I don't say things like "NYC is the safest big city" or "NYC is the most dangerous city" because in reality its neither, and in my world its more dangerous than safe but its most likely more safe than dangerous to somebody living in the Upper East Side or somewhere like that. Most parts are now safe but some parts are still dangerous, the whole city can't be placed under "6 per 100k". Its the same way for every city though (some more extreme than others).

Also I don't see Ft. Myers being more dangerous than Cleveland but that's just me.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:07 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,821,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Its more complex than that, NYC's "reported" murder rate is about 6 per 100k but certain areas are in the 20's/30's/40's per 100k. The chance of being murdered is higher in these areas and on top of that if you are Black or Hispanic the murder rate goes even higher than that. That's why I don't say things like "NYC is the safest big city" or "NYC is the most dangerous city" because in reality its neither, and in my world its more dangerous than safe but its most likely more safe than dangerous to somebody living in the Upper East Side or somewhere like that. Most parts are now safe but some parts are still dangerous. Also I don't see Ft. Myers being more dangerous than Cleveland but that's just me.
Of course NYC has some very dangerous sections.
But the point I'm trying to get across is that the thread asks for Cities, not neighborhoods or anything along those lines.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Of course NYC has some very dangerous sections.
But the point I'm trying to get across is that the thread asks for Cities, not neighborhoods or anything along those lines.
I know but it seems as if some people forget NYC isn't all roses and rainbows (crime-wise most of it is lol). I'm not trying to paint NYC as this big-bad-city because its really not (with the exception of like 10 neighborhoods out of like 300-400 neighborhoods).

City-wise NYC is overall one of the safest despite having some rough areas.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:20 PM

6 posts, read 8,800 times
Detroit is so bad that it recently made the cover of Time Magazine.

My one and only visit to the area took place in 1989. Parts of the city looked like a war zone. Block after block of burned out buildings. What a contrast to their newly rebuilt downtown. I hope they get their act together.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:23 PM

6 posts, read 8,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I know but it seems as if some people forget NYC isn't all roses and rainbows (crime-wise most of it is lol). I'm not trying to paint NYC as this big-bad-city because its really not (with the exception of like 10 neighborhoods out of like 300-400 neighborhoods).

City-wise NYC is overall one of the safest despite having some rough areas.
I'll bet those ten or so neighborhoods have really cheap property (compared with the rest of the city). Seems like the perfect opportunity for some wealthy investor to buy them up and renovate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City