Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 10:21 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,970,428 times

Advertisements

^^^ Exactly. Miami is NOT like it's portrayed in the tv shows. Watch 'America's Most Wanted' or 'Cops' if you want to see the real Miami.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:53 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,566,007 times
in no particular order:

Oakland, CA
Long Beach, CA
San Bernardino, CA
Gary, IN
St. Louis
Baltimore
Detroit
Flint, MI
Toledo, OH
Washington, DC
New Orleans
Newark, NJ
Buffalo, NY
Youngstown, OH
Phily
North Minneapolis

Its more than ten, but they are all ghetto.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:01 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,947,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I understand where you're coming from, I've been in the same position as you. I'm from one of NYC's rough areas and it sort of bothers for some reason me when people say NYC is safe (even though most of it really is now) but people forget that its not all nice and safe.
Exactly. It mostly has to do with the "self centered" and "ignorant" attitude shown by a lot of people. Meaning that those people want to believe where they're from is the only place that's like that or the worst, etc. and try to put most other places off as "nothing". It's happened to me a lot of times.

I have family in many rough areas of NYC, mainly Uptown and the South Bronx and have been going there often since the 80s-early 90s so I know that NYC is in no way "all safe". Most the people who say that these places are "soft" or "safe" haven't even been there before so I wouldn't pay them too much mind.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:26 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,962,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ Exactly. Miami is NOT like it's portrayed in the tv shows. Watch 'America's Most Wanted' or 'Cops' if you want to see the real Miami.
Why do you constantly bash a city that you have little to no personal experience with? It's not healthy behavior at all. I know you passed through on the turnpike once- did you encounter the butt burglar when stopping for gas on Bird Rd or something?

Old 11-01-2009, 06:13 AM

I have been to Miami once? LOL. OK.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:58 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,876,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Why do you constantly bash a city that you have little to no personal experience with? It's not healthy behavior at all. I know you passed through on the turnpike once- did you encounter the butt burglar when stopping for gas on Bird Rd or something?

compelled have you lived in Miami?

Old 11-01-2009, 11:57 AM

Miami is safe - safer than all big cities in NC. The people are very friendly, friendlier than the folks in NC are. I dont know why people keep leaving Miami and S FL to move to places like Raleigh and Asheville - the people are rude in NC, they drive aggressive (more so than down in S FL) and there is no diversity there. They think by moving to NC they are automatically going to meet happier people, friendlier people, and see less crime. But what most people who are trying to escape dont realize is that Miami is paradise, and they'll find out sooner than later once they move to NC.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:28 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,645,436 times
Not much more ghetto then this area..

msnbc.com Video Player

Old 11-01-2009, 01:48 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,580,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Not much more ghetto then this area..

msnbc.com Video Player
i thought it was the tide commercial lol

but yeah, i heard about that. pretty awful stuff.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,962,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Miami is safe - safer than all big cities in NC. The people are very friendly, friendlier than the folks in NC are. I dont know why people keep leaving Miami and S FL to move to places like Raleigh and Asheville - the people are rude in NC, they drive aggressive (more so than down in S FL) and there is no diversity there. They think by moving to NC they are automatically going to meet happier people, friendlier people, and see less crime. But what most people who are trying to escape dont realize is that Miami is paradise, and they'll find out sooner than later once they move to NC.
Who are you marketing to? I'm confused as to if your business involves getting people to move to NC or to move out of Florida. You are a psychological marketing genius, maybe even prodigy.

As far as your actual point (if there was one), you are actually sort of right, because people bring themselves with them. If everyone escapes Miami and moves to NC, what do you have? You have Miami in NC. Sorry. Miami is also safer than Charlotte whether you would like to accept this or not, and when comparing Miami-Dade County to Durham County (sorry for not getting back before), there is significant indication that North Carolina's major metropolitan counties are indeed nearly as dangerous per-capita as Miami-Dade County...the only one I see that's significantly safer is Wake County...

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/..._annual08.aspx

Report1

Also, for all of the blame you put on "New Yorkers" causing Florida to "change", the big areas in the Northeast are actually among the safest places if you want to live in any kind of population center. The fact is that cities in both FL and NC suck for crime rates, and your argument that there are no "good" parts of Miami is ridiculous and untrue.

I'm not even going to argue the "people" part, because you tend to reap what you sow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City